You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
The Edge SCGB and Scotlands Freeride capital
Date Posted: 21.25hrs on Sat 12 Mar 16
Unfortunately I can't see a free link to the website (I suspect it is for members only), but there is a very positive piece on the off-piste at Nevis Range in the latest "The Edge".

I know certain elements on Winterhighland have inverted snobbery and/or anti-English issues when it comes to SCGB, but honestly it is a very rounded piece full of praise for the quality of the off-piste skiing.
sredna100

Re: The Edge SCGB and Scotlands Freeride capital
Date Posted: 00.11hrs on Sun 13 Mar 16
Erm yes, I read that wee article, they picked a great time for it and went home full of glee, having managed some of the Coire Dubh entrances , Easy gully and Spikes I think were mentioned and a great time was had saying it rivaled anything in the alpes if you hit it at the right time.

I hope more follow in their footsteps now the word is out which after a wee read at I think they may well do . looks like more than a few of our semi-secret bits are still under wraps, FFS don't mention Kenny B's book Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

growwild

Date Posted: 02.28hrs on Sun 13 Mar 16
Inverted snobbery, what a stupid fecking dobber!

I thought SCGB was for international pretentious dangle berries and I'm pretty sure brits who masquerade as brave Scots are members too! So don't you try and take my dissatisfaction away fae they traitors wi yer wee snide amateurish form of attack...

Is it boarding school or the nannies that make yous dumber than that loop of genetics make yas?

moffatross

Date Posted: 13.02hrs on Sun 13 Mar 16
jabuzzard Wrote:I know certain elements on Winterhighland have inverted snobbery and/or anti-English issues when it comes to SCGB

Kudos for the new item, but my guess is that people's feelings towards SCGB are more about its relevance to home-grown skiing, whether it's English, Scottish or whatever. The GB bit should naturally imply more than a passing interest in what's going on with skiing in GB, but the item you linked is very much the exception rather than the rule.

Here, try this. Google SCGB's site for Weardale (an English ski centre) then Avoriaz (a French one).

I've done the links for you ...

[www.google.co.uk]

[www.google.co.uk]

My search results give 17 returns for Weardale, and 2,650 for Avoriaz (hardly the biggest of the holiday destinations). That's the SCGB being anti-English, not winterhighlanders winking smiley

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 13.06hrs Sun 13 Mar 16 by moffatross.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Sun 13 Mar 16
Reading [www.skiclub.co.uk], it's pretty clear that SCGB is all about supporting their major funders, the travel companies and insurance companies who sponsor them

IMHO the Nevis article - and I noticed it's being pushed (Sponsored) on Facebook is perhaps a sign that they are trying to change their focus and reputation ? Giving the benefit of the doubt, of course.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.59hrs on Mon 14 Mar 16
moffatross Wrote:

My search results give 17 returns for Weardale, and 2,650 for Avoriaz (hardly the biggest of the holiday destinations). That's the SCGB being anti-English, not winterhighlanders

How many people ski/board in Weardale in a season? How many British people ski/board in Avoriaz in a season? One suspects the ratio of articles reflects that ratio of people skiing in the two places, and is thus not remotely anti anything, but a reflection of reality. Even if you live in the North East actually getting to ski in Weardale requires you have your own kit (most people don't) and a car suitability equipped (winter tyres, chains and possibly 4WD) oh and actually have free time when the snow arrives. Despite living in the North East for many years all of those things never aligned for any of the slopes in England for me.

The majority of skiing/boarding by people ordinarily resident in the UK does not take place in the UK, and naturally that is going to be reflected in what any snowsports club does in the UK. Last time I checked the figures outside of an outstanding year that is true of Scotland on it's own as well. Heck the unpatriotic bunch that is the Scottish Ski Club organize trips to the Alps each year if you want to see it in that light.
moffatross

Date Posted: 06.41hrs on Tue 15 Mar 16
jabuzzard Wrote:One suspects the ratio of articles reflects that ratio of people skiing in the two places, and is thus not remotely anti anything, but a reflection of reality.

D'er !! That was why I made the point ;-) Your belief is that winterhighlanders are anti-English and your evidence for it is that they're not fans of the SCGB. The reality is that it's not relevant to many winterhighlanders. The reality is that the SCGB has largely ignored the home-grown snow sports scene. A reality check statistic for me and (and same goes for about half the winterhighanders I know who ordinarily live in England and Scotland) is that 100% of our skiing over the last few seasons has taken place in England and Scotland.

jabuzzard Wrote:The majority of skiing/boarding by people ordinarily resident in the UK does not take place in the UK, and naturally that is going to be reflected in what any snowsports club does in the UK.

Like I said, if you actually had an irony detector, you'd have realised why your belief that winterhighlanders are 'anti-English' is so paranoid.

jabuzzard Wrote:Heck the unpatriotic bunch that is the Scottish Ski Club organize trips to the Alps each year if you want to see it in that light.

I have little idea what the Scottish Ski Club do and for whatever reason, they offer little relevance to me, and to most of the winterhighlanders I know either. But I do know they're different to the SCGB in that their premises are makeshift mountain huts, and not a mansion house head office in Wimbledon, and that their paid membership is a small fraction of diddly squat compared to the SCGB's. On searching the Scottish Ski Club website I find no results for Avoriaz, Lowther Hills or Weardale. Does it suggest they're anti-French, anti-Scottish and anti-English ? Nope, I suspect it's mostly because they're a small organisation without a web marketing machine (e.g. there are only 17 results for Glencoe), and like the SCGB, they're a bit insular, and mostly only aimed at a membership interested in skiing in the Highlands, in much the same way as SCGB are mostly only aimed at a membership interested in skiing in the Alps.

As I said though, kudos to the SCGB for running the item on NR smiling smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.39hrs Tue 15 Mar 16 by moffatross.
what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.12hrs on Tue 15 Mar 16
[tinyurl.com]

Will take you to the article. Positive, with some good photos.

Neil

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.14hrs Tue 15 Mar 16 by what...snow.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: