You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345
Current Page:5 of 5
crouch_potato

Last Visited: 21:27
22nd Feb 2019
Re: Snow patches in England and Wales 2016
Date Posted: 20.34hrs on Tue 24 May 16
I would be surprised to learn that Cross Fell lasted into this week, or loger than the Helvellyn patches which I would expect that to be the last snow in Pennines/Lakes.

RE St Sunday Crag, a couple of weeks back I was out over Fairfield, St Sunday Crag, Helvellyn and the Dodds in very good visibility. There was very limited snow in a couple of gullies on St Sunday and on the link to Fairfield, far more impressive patches on the N slopes & hollows of Fairfield and the usual stuff on Dollywaggon, Nethermost Pike, Helvellyn, Brown Cove areas. At the time there were loads of patches, (mostly small) in pretty much anything rocky/east facing/steep/ over 650m (both on Helvellyn area and into Central/NW fells, but having seen how fast the usual Helvellyn stuff (which was far greater volume though less favourable aspect in the main) has faded I'd be amazed if St Sunday hadn't melted a while back.

Having seen Cross Fell patches the same day and subsequently (start of last week) and given Stringy's report from a week ago the recent sustained weather, I'd suggest the only hope for Cross Fell is for some hidden pockets in amongst the hollows. With relatively non-snowy winter on the Pennines I doubt there would ever have been the volume for this to happen this year - but Cross Fell can hold some surprises.
Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Wed 25 May 16
As per my report from last week, I had a clear view of the north side of Cross Fell last Wednesday afternoon and there was one tiny patch remaining. It would not have lasted another day so I give a final melt date of May the 19th for Cross Fell.

As Crouch Potato says, Cross Fell often holds surprises but I am totally happy that there were not any further patches. The view from Hartside Pass looks directly onto the area scarp slope above Greg's Hut and all the hollows are visible. On my visit on May the 7th I visited all the sites that hold snow and almost all of the patches were in this area.

It looks like Helvellyn has the last snow in England, albeit not the usual site.

It will be interesting to see a photo of Y Ffoes Ddwyn
firefly

Date Posted: 07.04hrs on Thu 26 May 16
Helvellyn's snow will almost certainly be gone by today. The first time since 2012 that is hasn't persisted until June. The only other place, conceivably, that it could be hanging on is The Cheviot, but given jonathan's report from the middle of the month I'd say this was extremely unlikely.

Y Ffoes Ddyfn on Carnedd Llewelyn looks as though it'll be the last to go. I have a couple of locals keeing their eyes peeled at it!
firefly

Date Posted: 08.08hrs on Wed 1 Jun 16
Gertaint Edwards went to Carnedd Llewelyn on Sunday (29 May) and got a few pictures of Y Ffoes Ddyfn, which was holding snow 18 x 8 x 1.5 metres. This is undoubtedly still there as I write, and I expect it to endure until the end of this week at least.

I have been in touch with various local hill guides and walkers in the Lake District and Pennines, who all inform me that no snow is to be found anywhere on 'their' beat.

[flic.kr]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 08.11hrs Wed 1 Jun 16 by firefly.
SnowJoke

Last Visited: 16:30
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 21.35hrs on Thu 2 Jun 16
What height is the Carnedd Llewelyn snow at?

Also, when was the last time the snow in Wales outlasted the snow in England?
firefly

Date Posted: 06.44hrs on Mon 6 Jun 16
SnowJoke Wrote:

Both good questions!

Firstly, the location is here: [streetmap.co.uk] It's on the 3000 ft contour.

Secondly, off the top of my head I think it was 2010 the last time snow in Wales outlasted snow in England. That year it lasted till 28 June, as confirmed in this thread: [www.winterhighland.info]

Gertaint Edwards saw the snow yesterday using binoculars, and I reckon it's got another few days left in it yet.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 06.45hrs Mon 6 Jun 16 by firefly.
SnowJoke

Last Visited: 16:30
6th Jun 2016
Date Posted: 16.32hrs on Mon 6 Jun 16
firefly Wrote:
SnowJoke Wrote:

Both good questions!

Firstly, the location is here: It's on the 3000 ft contour.

Secondly, off the top of my head I think it was 2010 the last time snow in Wales outlasted snow in England. That year it lasted till 28 June, as confirmed in this thread:

Gertaint Edwards saw the snow yesterday using binoculars, and I reckon it's got another few days left in it yet.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07.45hrs Mon 6 Jun 16 by firefly.

Very interesting. Thanks!
firefly

Date Posted: 06.37hrs on Mon 13 Jun 16
Geraint Edwards reports that all snow has now gone from Y Ffoes Ddyfn. This was the last snow in England and Wales, and I put a final melt date at around 10 June.

Thanks to all contributors who have submitted information, as usual. When the paper is written up I will submit it to the Royal Meteorological Society for consideration in their Weather journal.

Attention now turns to Scotland...
Goto Page:  Previous12345
Current Page:5 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: