You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Timberline

Last Visited: 20:54
24th Feb 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: 2016 Scottish snow patch season
Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Thu 18 Aug 16
Glyn Jones reports that all snow has gone from the Lochnagar/White Mounth/Cairn Bannoch area. What may have been the last surviving remnant -- a small patch in the upper part of the Hummel Coire -- may have lasted until the 13th or 14th of August.

Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 10.20hrs on Thu 15 Sep 16
There seems to be a distinct last of posts on this thread this year. As an avid follower of the Scottish snowpatch season I getting withdrawal symptoms! I'm sure that the usual suspects are still there but it would be good to read and see some reports now that we are approaching the crucial time of year for survivals?

I enjoy contributing to the thread about my local sites in Cumbria but unfortunately I have not found the time to travel north to visit any of the Scottish sites yet. Hopefully I will rectify this and get up to Scotland soon.

brianwr

Last Visited: 20:09
26th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 10.18hrs on Fri 16 Sep 16
Lots of updates from firefly (Iain Cameron) et al here ...

[www.facebook.com]

... and here ...

[twitter.com]

Stringy

Last Visited: 08:22
15th May 2020
Date Posted: 17.41hrs on Fri 16 Sep 16
Ah, that'll be why it's not on here. I'm not a Facebook or Twitter user so this move has passed me by.

Iain, any chance some of the recent pictures can go on here please?

firefly

Date Posted: 09.39hrs on Tue 20 Sep 16
Yes, I'm sorry that there's been a distinct lack of posts on here this year. As mentioned by brianwr the main reason is that FB is a much more simple platform for uploading and sharing pictures and information. Also there are over 1100 people on the group, so there's tonnes of people sharing information.

My flickr archive is still current [www.flickr.com], and you don't need to have FB or Twitter accounts to view the information.

But, basically, the situation this year is that all snow has now melted except for the usual suspects. As I write, snow persists at the following places:

1. Ben Nevis, Observatory Gully - [www.facebook.com]
2. Ben Nevis, Point 5 Gully - [www.facebook.com]
3. Ben Macdui, Garbh Uisge Beag - [www.facebook.com]
4. Braeriach, Garbh Choire Mor - [www.facebook.com]
5. Aonach Beag - [www.flickr.com]

Aonach Mor might have a sliver or two, but it will be all-but-gone by the time this evening comes, I suspect.

I'll make more of an effort to update this thread from now till the end of the season!

firefly

Date Posted: 09.42hrs on Tue 20 Sep 16
I should point out that I expect Aonach Beag's snow to be the largest this year (if, indeed, anything survives) when lasting snow comes. Sphinx and Pinnacles are vulnerable, and Observatory Gully's aspect and the fact it sits on rock means it's also at risk. Hopefully they'll all survive, though. Unless cold and snowy weather come within the next week or so I don't imagine that Garbh Uisge Beag will survive.

Norseman

Last Visited: 18:00
4th May 2019
Date Posted: 11.53hrs on Tue 20 Sep 16
firefly Wrote:
I should point out that I expect Aonach Beag's snow to be the largest this year (if, indeed, anything survives) when lasting snow comes. Sphinx and Pinnacles are vulnerable, and Observatory Gully's aspect and the fact it sits on rock means it's also at risk. Hopefully they'll all survive, though. Unless cold and snowy weather come within the next week or so I don't imagine that Garbh Uisge Beag will survive.

Hi firefly.

Isn't it Point 5 Gully that is on rock and most at risk at the Ben?

Also some cooler weather due at times in the next week or so should help.

Regards

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 17.54hrs Tue 20 Sep 16 by Norseman.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 11.19hrs on Wed 21 Sep 16
If the West outlasts the Cairngorms is that partly down to an increased predominance of snow fall from the West?

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.40hrs on Wed 21 Sep 16
THe GFS operational is throwing out some runs that suggest some hope for the snow patches in early October, the 12z run being a case in point (thick green line), but a long way out - particularly with the projected Hurricane Karl getting thrown into the mix in the Atlantic.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.42hrs Wed 21 Sep 16 by alan.

Attachments: 850hpa-ens-2016.09.21.12z.png (31kB)  
paraffin

Date Posted: 21.50hrs on Wed 21 Sep 16
alan Wrote:
If the West outlasts the Cairngorms is that partly down to an increased predominance of snow fall from the West?

Hi Al,
I have no empirical data to prove it or otherwise but the past winter was generally mild with very strong SW to NE winds brought in by volatile and unpredictable weather systems. Not so good for Cairngorm & Glenshee?
I guess that for Glencoe with its aspect,rocky features and steepness the upper hill just accumulated the most snow?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 23.13hrs Wed 21 Sep 16 by paraffin.

alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 23.32hrs on Wed 21 Sep 16
It's not helping that at 12.30am it is +9°c at 2500ft on CairnGorm.

Goto Page:  Previous123
Current Page:3 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: