You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234
Current Page:4 of 4
1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Re: worst season in a long time?
Date Posted: 11.01hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
That's two weekends in a row i've been skiing fresh tracks on lovely fresh snow so to say the season is over is just wrong haha
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
well, the answer to the QUESTION ASKED is obviously yes;

We have had a decent run of (in Scottish terms) epic snow seasons; this season was not as good as the those. There can be no real argument about that.

most people seem to be answering a different question, "was it a poor season"; and objectively it seems to be turning out to be a mediocre/average season for Scotland and so the answer to that question is no, it was not a poor season, it was normal for Scotland (if Scotland has normal weather!). It arrived a little late and finished a little early, but that's Scotland - inconsistent and unpredictable is the only word to describe our weather.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 13.37hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
WeeSam Wrote:

We have had a decent run of (in Scottish terms) epic snow seasons; this season was not as good as the those. There can be no real argument about that.

most people seem to be answering a different question, "was it a poor season"; and objectively it seems to be turning out to be a mediocre/average season for Scotland and so the answer to that question is no, it was not a poor season, it was normal for Scotland (if Scotland has normal weather!). It arrived a little late and finished a little early, but that's Scotland - inconsistent and unpredictable is the only word to describe our weather.

Where is this perception of "being over" or "finished" coming from?

It's April and the Coe, Nevis and CGM are still open, Glenshee recently closed. There continues to be snow in the forecasts. Seems like normal to me.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.39hrs Mon 4 Apr 16 by Hipennine.
WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.14hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
seems like normal to you and seems like normal to me

did you read what I said? I said it was "normal". I used that exact word

Maybe I should have been more precise for the pedants (like yourself):

People might perceive that is is over because ski centres are closing; most of the terrain of open centres is closed: web cams are showing bare, wet, dreary hillsides; what is open is ribbons of snow; AND the ski centres are not doing much to change that perception

This is a COMPLETELY different debate. The question was

"worst season in a long time?"

answer is, without a doubt, yes.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.15hrs Mon 4 Apr 16 by WeeSam.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 16.05hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
most of the terrain of open centres is closed:

At Glencoe every run bar one side of the beginner rope tow is open. The Top Basin at CairnGorm has total cover right across, the depth and extent of cover on the mid and upper mountain on CairnGorm is ahead of this date in 2011 which considered a big winter (a very harsh start in Nov/Dec 2010) and obviously miles ahead of this date in 2012 where the season was just about to resume after a more than month long hiatus.

Of course the best of the 2012 season was still weeks away in late April and the first half of May, there are hints of a similar polar trough weather pattern setting up, there is snowfall forecast for the second half of this week and the weekend. Unless something unforeseen and fairly spectacular happens (or skiers disappear entirely) then CairnGorm and Glencoe are far from done yet.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 17.05hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
WeeSam Wrote:
seems like normal to you and seems like normal to me

did you read what I said? I said it was "normal". I used that exact word

Maybe I should have been more precise for the pedants (like yourself):

People might perceive that is is over because ski centres are closing; most of the terrain of open centres is closed: web cams are showing bare, wet, dreary hillsides; what is open is ribbons of snow; AND the ski centres are not doing much to change that perception

This is a COMPLETELY different debate. The question was

"worst season in a long time?"

answer is, without a doubt, yes.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.15hrs Mon 4 Apr 16 by WeeSam.

To be exact, the words you used included: "and finished a little early", and that is what I was questioning.

As Alan has illustrated, that is far from the case.
WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.06hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
well, most of the terrain is finsished for skiing,

and the PERCEPTION is not helped by Cairngorm sending emails out called set "your sights on summer", with photos of green hillsides; followed by four photos of summer activities, then right at the bottom (if you can be bothered to scroll down that far) is a single photo of a snowboarder.

The point is easy to miss, and veer from what the original question was, which one cannot deny.

Maybe I should have been more exact (and sound pedantic to satisfy the pedants) and said, compared to recent years it started late (IT DID), is finished early for the majority of the terrain (IT DID) and will likely finish early for all terrain; so, across the entire highlands, compared to the past few seasons, it has been a late start and an early finish. MOST of the terrain in Scotland is closed.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.12hrs on Mon 4 Apr 16
WeeSam, All still open at Glencoe and more snow in the forecast. Season been pretty good and we don't plan to close until the 2nd May. A lot less storm bound days as well so been good from that point of view. From a Glencoe point of view headline definitely not correct.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.14hrs Mon 4 Apr 16 by igloo4you.
1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.00hrs on Tue 5 Apr 16
WeeSam both Glencoe and Nevis Range have excellent skiing available and will have more snow this week so to say ski is finished is just not true

Fair enough if you don't want to ski it means more fresh tracks for me smiling smiley
MPW1

Last Visited: 19:36
1st Nov 2018
Date Posted: 16.08hrs on Tue 5 Apr 16
Suggest anyone who thinks the season is over takes a trip to Nevis and Glencoe. Those of us that were there last week were more than happy that the vast majority of terrain is not only open, but in excellent shape.It sounds as if it's only going to improve further with new snow this week.

I didn't go to Cairngorm, but Windy Miller's regular reports say that all mid and upper mountain and, crucially, the Ciste area seems to be in good shape there with WWP running most days, for a change, with more snow on the way there too.

I suspect for these 3 centres the smaller numbers turning up will be what causes the ultimate closure, not the lack of snow or available terrain.

Michael
harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 20.37hrs on Wed 6 Apr 16
WeeSam Wrote:

Think i said this a few weeks ago ?
Goto Page:  Previous1234
Current Page:4 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: