You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Touring in May
Date Posted: 16.57hrs on Wed 4 May 16
Any views on what is still available appreciated.
I know that last weekend was a good one, but this weeks weather has not been so kind.
Will hope to get a day in this weekend.
Cheers Mark
ESTC Edinburgh

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Re: Touring in May
Date Posted: 10.52hrs on Thu 5 May 16
There is tonnes still available but some walking or cycling might be required. The escalator on Braeriach looks good right now.

telemarkmark

8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.48hrs on Thu 5 May 16
Thanks, I am thinking Glen Feshie up to the tops to the East. Definitely a day for light skis. Saturday does not look to bad.

Davie_Mac

Last Visited: 21:50
18th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 19.30hrs on Thu 5 May 16
On Tuesday I skied over the Moine Mhor to Moanadh Not.Had to hike up to about 800m but was good cover from there . SW side of Braeriach , Angels Peak and Cairn Toul looked to have masses of snow. I'm sure a,fair bit will have melted by the weekend but I reckon it should still be skiable. I put some photos on British Backcountry facebook page.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Thu 5 May 16
A few people up touring at Glencoe today, from the top of the Access Chair, less than a 10 minute flat walk across the plateau gets you onto the snow still more than 1500ft of vertical available.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.53hrs on Thu 5 May 16
As evidenced by the tracks on the Spring Run:

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.54hrs Thu 5 May 16 by alan.

Attachments: tracks.jpg (144kB)  
telemarkmark

8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.59hrs on Thu 12 May 16
Thanks for advice, I got some snow under my skinny skis last Saturday.
Having seen the snow in Grab Corrie from Angels Peak last week (see previous posts in Backcountry & my Facebook page), Half tempted to go back to the same area, though by bike from Linn of Dee. The snow cover looked far more than looking at the routes on Steep Scotland,(which were taken in April), so hopefully still plenty left. Would take chunky skis & boots and do some of the 'easier' routes.

Anyone know how long the ride-in takes & difficulty?

Cheers Mark

Hustler

Last Visited: 07:52
19th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 13.36hrs on Thu 12 May 16
The ride in is long and difficult from the south east; I'd not do it from that side for choice, think it's a lot easier to approach from the Einich side. I've only done it on ski days from the north over Braeriach but have biked in to the Lairig Ghru a few times from that side. Can confirm that most folk will not be able to ride much past the Luibeg burn crossing, at which point bike & ski kit together will become a real burden.
At least from the north you also have the prospect of a fair ski down again on your way home; one of the burn lines will be likely to hold a good snow patch for returning much of the way back down into the glen. Enjoy.

telemarkmark

8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 09.46hrs on Sat 14 May 16
Thanks for advice. We are starting in Edinburgh so the south side is the natural choice. Looking at the map, I had thought that the glen of Dee, rather than the more direct Luibeg route would be best by bike.

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.36hrs on Sun 15 May 16
The Dee route isn't that good. Very on/off the bike on the trail to East of river. There is a double track on west side for some of the way up towards Devils point, but then you would need to wade the Dee to get to the footpath on east to continue route north

telemarkmark

8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.41hrs on Mon 16 May 16
Well we did it - was it worth it - hmmm!
Thanks for advice on path to the west - we discovered that for the return, after a wet river crossing. It is good mountain bike path (& ok on an Cross), appears to be so constructed - you can negotiate most of the drain-ditch crossings. I guess the end of route from Glen Feshie?
Will post fully on British Backcountry Facebook when I work out how to access icloud photos.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: