You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Another new chair....Glenshee you spoil us
Date Posted: 09.59hrs on Wed 14 Dec 16
[www.pressandjournal.co.uk]

Wind

Beginners

Queues

Have you two pence worth

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.00hrs Wed 14 Dec 16 by flugeryl.
swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Re: Another new chair....Glenshee you spoil us
Date Posted: 12.53hrs on Wed 14 Dec 16
Wow! That's brilliant news! If only Cairngorm had the same vision.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.37hrs on Wed 14 Dec 16
Awesome news. If they get this in, only Carn Aosda will remain a problem on that side of the hill. Butcharts T Bar will be superfluous due to increased capacity.

I wonder if they will focus on snowmaking after 2018. They will have great infrastructure to be in a position to open half the hill allowing access to all gradients (green, blue, red and black) using mostly chairlifts. Could be a money spinner in early season.

With constant pylon replacement on the other side of the road, I am starting to see hope for Glenshee. Shame they bought so many piste bathers before replacing lifts but they are absolutely doing the right things now.

Hats off to whoever won the argument to do this ahead of the ridiculous Meall Odhar squint chair idea.

I wish them every success.
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.23hrs on Wed 14 Dec 16
Probably the best news I have ever heard for a long time, great thinking from Glenshee.
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 22.05hrs on Wed 14 Dec 16
Great to see Glenshee invest in new lifts thumbs up.

However (and I hate to be negative) the top of Cairnwell T-Bar is a notably windy location. Westerly winds funnel right over that col. With the Tiger and Cairnwell both chairlifts then that side of the mountain becomes prone to wind closure....

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 23.27hrs Wed 14 Dec 16 by Doug_Bryce.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 00.49hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
Doug_Bryce Wrote:
Great to see Glenshee invest in new lifts .

However (and I hate to be negative) the top of Cairnwell T-Bar is a notably windy location. Westerly winds funnel right over that col. With the Tiger and Cairnwell both chairlifts then that side of the mountain becomes prone to wind closure....

The ridge crest is exposed, but the lifts only break over onto the crest, not running in an exposed location, plus the direction the wind will be strongest on the col will also be parallel to the lift line and the bulk of the lift lines are pretty sheltered by the standard of the Cairngorms. I've been at Glenshee on days that both the old Cairnwell Chair and Cairnwell T-bar were running when CairnGorm had been completely shut by SW winds, the Cairnwell seems to deflect them to some degree.

An artificially negative impression of chairlift capabilities was created in Scotland on CairnGorm in the run-up to the Funicular opening. While the Funicular was in the planning stages the wind limit for the GMD Mueller Chairlifts was reduced from a manufacture recommendation of a mean of 38mph across the line to a much more restrictive limit of gusts of 25mph in any direction.

This quad will be a game changer in terms of access to early intermediate terrain, there are fantastic long greens and easy blues much under utilised such as the Bunny Run and Butchart's area because access to the full trails was by a steep T-bar or fairly challenging fast Poma respectively.

This will be achieved while still significantly enhancing the capacity for accessing more advanced terrain. Also with the Baddoch Chair, it will be possible to have decent snowsports available with easy access in conditions in the past where it would have required a walk up to the Cairnwell Cafe or even Butchart's T-bar, if the ski area even opened at all.

Along with the Plateau chairlift being built next summer at Glencoe, unless there is a very major rethink in direction soon, then CairnGorm's market share will be history. CML like to trumpet that they are Scotland's premier ski area, those days are self evidently in the past and Scotland's premier ski area(s) begins with Glen....

Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.06hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
You are so right, Alan. It is so invigorating to see Glenshee planning for the future like this. Cairngorm need to sit up and smell the coffee, chairlifts are essential for any forward thinking ski area. Is there any evidence that they're thinking of putting chairs in anywhere?
swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.43hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
I think Glenshee is now Scotland's premier ski area, and that's before this new lift goes in...
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.56hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
Wonder what they'll do with the old Tbar ?

Its a bit of Scottish heritage having originally been sited down at Mar lodge in the 1960s.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.01hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
oversteer Wrote: Hats off to whoever won the argument to do this ahead of the ridiculous Meall Odhar squint chair idea.

What's the problem re. a proposed Meall Odhar chair oversteer?
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.43hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
I'm waiting for the gondola up to Glas Maol.......
andytb

Last Visited: 10:36
4th May 2018
Date Posted: 16.37hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
Even modern detachables with all the frills like bubbles can run in such significant wind to the point that it's usually not a pleasant day to be skiing.

They can quite easily run at half line speed and stay open with enough capacity to entertain those hardy enough to hang around.
cumbrianskihead

Last Visited: 15:14
12th Feb 2017
Date Posted: 17.20hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
I have a lot to say about this, so bear me out.

Inacuracies:

A fixed grip chailift faster than a T-bar? Only if a loading conveyor is used is this true, or if the T-bar was slower than 2.4m/s. Most T-bars in the alps run at 2.5m/s, 2.8m/s, 3.0m/s or as fast as 3.5m/s

If the current plan was to have a triple on Meal Odhar, where is this chairlift, has it been purchased or was it just a plan to purchase?

Positives:

+More forward thinking from glenshee - Well done glenshee
+Replacing one of 3 really old, original lifts
+More user friendly
+Redundancy if problem with Tiger Tripple.

Downsides:
+Zero skiing on Cairn well if windy - both chairlifts shut
+Carn Asoda T-Bar / Butcharts T-Bar also in need of replacing, and would provide chairlift acsess to a new section of mountain that is not already covered by Tiger tipple.
+Very little flat land at current cairn well t-bar. Might require a steel super-structure or earth moving.

Suggestions:
+ Replace the Cairnwell, Bucharts and Carn Asoda T-Bars with brand new or year old equivalents, all of the same model & manufacturer to make servicing easier.
+ Then install some snowmaking lines so that 3 decent runs can have artificial snow cover between 2018-2019
+ In 2020 replace the Assess Poma with a chairlift.
+ Move attention to other side of road.

My last comment is that Nevis range are still making an effort and i still like skiing their, esp. because of the lack of ques. I can't quite understand with the quality of the other resorts why people still ski at Cairngorm?

Jonathan

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Thu 15 Dec 16
Excellent news from Glenshee - looking after us skiers
Hipennine

Date Posted: 09.06hrs on Fri 16 Dec 16
cumbrianskihead Wrote:

Inacuracies:

A fixed grip chailift faster than a T-bar? Only if a loading conveyor is used is this true, or if the T-bar was slower than 2.4m/s. Most T-bars in the alps run at 2.5m/s, 2.8m/s, 3.0m/s or as fast as 3.5m/s

Maybe, but a T bar maxes out at about 1200 pers per hour whereas fixed grip quads can move double that number, so queues move faster (and a sit down rests the legs).
Goto Page:  1234567Next
Current Page:1 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: