You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Re: Another new chair....Glenshee you spoil us
Date Posted: 12.44hrs on Fri 13 Apr 18
PeterS Wrote:
Do Glenshee actually need any more uplift capacity ?

Possibly not, but the market demand is for something better than surface lifts.

As others have pointed out much of the lift infrastructure is extremely old and in need of major refurbishment anyway, so why spend $$$ refurbishing surface lifts when you can replace them with chairs which is what the public expect in the 21st century.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.29hrs on Fri 13 Apr 18
Glenshee will have that evidence of demand this season.

I’m sure whatever they do will be well thought through and effective.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.27hrs on Sat 14 Apr 18
Although Glenshee now have planning permission for a new chair to replace the Cairnwell T-bar, I was told today that they do not yet have a chairlift to put in there. Also, I was told that there are major maintenance issues at Glenshee that may need to take priority over installing a new chair this year. Fingers crossed though!
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.32hrs on Sun 15 Apr 18
Sounds like there will be some busy workers on the mountain there this summer.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.05hrs on Sat 30 Mar 19
So will it go up this year?

Or will they invest in more snowmaking, they did more snowmaking this year then last year so maybe they want in on a snowfactory as well?
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.32hrs on Sat 30 Mar 19
Not putting the chairlift in last summer is looking like a smart move in retrospect.
dvoodoo

Last Visited: 16:51
19th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 08.37hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
ML Wrote:
So will it go up this year?

Or will they invest in more snowmaking, they did more snowmaking this year then last year so maybe they want in on a snowfactory as well?

Should be able to get a couple of 2nd hand ones from cairngorm pretty cheap assuming they can get the replacement parts to fix the water filter system.
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.24hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
A snowfactory would indeed suit Glenshee really well.

+ Continuous production, requiring a continuous, rather than varied use of power
+ Minimal water requirements
+ Can be piped around to plastic slope, dink dink and claybokie with relative ease
+ The obvious location complete with water pumping station and collection pond already exists at the base of the claybokie.
+ There are two of these units currently unused for some reason at Cairngorm, which isn't too far away. Surely if they are not being used they must be surpless to requirements!!!
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.49hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
Climatically the Shee must be more suitable for snowmaking than other places too?

It has less snowfall but clearer skies and, presumably, colder temperatures.

But the lack of mains power must be a problem?

I would be putting in a bit of hydro and wind and then run a snow factory - two, if there are any spare ones kicking around winking smiley - continuously throughout the year.
growwild

Date Posted: 15.56hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
Glenshee getting into sledging too?

I'm not sold on them for any decent length of runs and investing in conventional systems would get a better bang for the buck...

[www.technoalpin.com]

"This snow gun is not intended as a substitute for conventional snow production but is more of an addition to the existing snowmaking applications and technologies"

01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.47hrs on Tue 2 Apr 19
growwild Wrote:

I'm not sold on them for any decent length of runs and investing in conventional systems would get a better bang for the buck...

"This snow gun is not intended as a substitute for conventional snow production but is more of an addition to the existing snowmaking applications and technologies"

Personally, If I could give Glenshee £1m on the provision that the spend the money the way I see fit, any run* below 750m would get snowfactory snow, with the rest* getting fan guns**. I think that 100m of altitude counts for a lot in Scotland.

*I would be only putting snowmaking on the cairnwell side and sunnyside. The whole resort doesnt need it, certainly not Glas Maol.

**I wonder if TechnoAlpin does not recommend use of snow lances or if its just the problem of installing airlines and air compressors that put the ski resorts off?

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.30hrs on Wed 3 Apr 19
Cairnwell would be logical, also with the lift investment and base structures. If they could open claybokie/plastic/dink dink and the future Cairnwell 4-Chair runs (race track, maybe bunny run) that would be amazing.

With the guns they used this year they managed to open plastic and claybokie way more the before, so the potential is there.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.36hrs on Wed 3 Apr 19
Bomp Wrote:
Climatically the Shee must be more suitable for snowmaking than other places too?

It has less snowfall but clearer skies and, presumably, colder temperatures.

These conditions also favour temperature inversions and conditions that would mean snow making being possible in Braemar but not at the ski area occurs quite frequently.

Aside from the ongoing farce with the snowfactory, the hydrology of CairnGorm has the best potential for larger scale snow making because of constant cool and strong ground water flows.
growwild

Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Sun 7 Apr 19
Overall I'd say cairngorms and nevis are the only ones suitable for some serious snowmaking as the local area can support it. I dont really see the point in throwing money at something for weekend day trippers. Scotland on it own cant support the centres we have if they all were invested in..

There's probably room for 2, so the first 2 tae come outta the dark ages win.............
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.17hrs on Wed 17 Apr 19
growwild Wrote:
Overall I'd say cairngorms and nevis are the only ones suitable for some serious snowmaking as the local area can support it. I dont really see the point in throwing money at something for weekend day trippers. Scotland on it own cant support the centres we have if they all were invested in..

There's probably room for 2, so the first 2 tae come outta the dark ages win.............

I'd like to see a competition of sorts. The ski/mountain resort with the best ideas would win grants, with pots of money for the runners up.

They could be judged by the following criteria:

- Flexibility & expected use
- Creative use of existing landscape(s)
- A independent review of their commercial sensibility / viability
- Benefits for skiers
- Benefits for mountain bikers / walkers
- Benefits for sightseers, and in the case of Lecht, Glencoe and Glenshee motorists.
- Environmental and aesthetic benefits.
- How the changes would increase usage of the resort/mountain.

It would of course all have to be judged and scored by a board/group of independant, mountain users, and there would be restrictive stipulations. Theres no way to trust HIE!

1st place: £8milion
2nd place: £2million
3rd place: £1million
4th place: £600k
5th place: £400k

Total: £12m. A lot less than the £28m planned for CGM and with competition, I think more creative and sensible ideas could be generated.

PLEASE NOTE: This is just a fantasised idea ive had for many years to see funds better offered to our scottish ski areas than just bashful spending.

Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: