You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567
Current Page:7 of 7
Jamie

Re: Another new chair....Glenshee you spoil us
Date Posted: 07.33hrs on Sun 21 Apr 19
CMartindale Wrote:
Cairnwell T-bar is quite possibly the most reliable lift up there as the runs are so snow sure. Trouble is the current lift must be 50+ years old and it shows.

The lift is actually second hand to Glenshee. It was built in its current position in 1967 or 1968, but originally was built in 1963 at the Mar Lodge Ski Centre near Braemar, where it was called the Red Tow and operated for two seasons. A piece of surviving Scottish ski history - for now!
ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Thu 23 Jan 20
What is glenshees current plan with the quad. They seem to have it on hold and invested in a snow-factory instead (which seems to do them very well next to the sheltered plastic slope).
I asked glenshee on facebook what the plan was and all that I got was "we don't have a quad-chairlift only a triple", so that was helpfull.
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.55hrs on Tue 18 Feb 20
This week perhaps illustrates the vulnerabilities of chairlifts, though I note that the Baddoch is able to run. The queues look quite short and will probably disappear altogether if they can get the Cairnwell going this afternoon.

Great to see Glenshee open.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.57hrs on Mon 20 Apr 20
Will they roll the dice? If we assume the government money went on the SnowFactory, it can now be a second hand job. Ever hopeful...
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 15.43hrs on Tue 21 Apr 20
Right now I imagine survival is the priority.

The story I heard, before the Corona Virus shutdown, was that the meall odhar Poma might be next for refurbishment. That would be good given the great job they’ve made of the caenlochan which shifted hundreds of skiers this year.
Refurbishment is low risk and is a good way to keep most of the spending and skills in the local economy.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.44hrs Tue 21 Apr 20 by PeterS.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.45hrs on Wed 22 Apr 20
PeterS Wrote:
Right now I imagine survival is the priority.

The story I heard, before the Corona Virus shutdown, was that the meall odhar Poma might be next for refurbishment. That would be good given the great job they’ve made of the caenlochan which shifted hundreds of skiers this year.
Refurbishment is low risk and is a good way to keep most of the spending and skills in the local economy.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.44hrs Tue 21 Apr 20 by PeterS.

Not sure I believe that. It's only run a few times in the last 4 or 5 years. Shame as a brilliant run(s) when it's covered.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.46hrs Wed 22 Apr 20 by oversteer.
Goto Page:  Previous1234567
Current Page:7 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: