You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:2 of 7
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Re: Another new chair....Glenshee you spoil us
Date Posted: 15.00hrs on Fri 16 Dec 16
T-Bars only run at capacity if folks double-up - which often they don't. I wonder if 'the usual suspects' will expect to get a quad chair to themselves also?!

All we need now is some ruddy snow!

Nigel
harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Fri 16 Dec 16
swavis Wrote:
Wow! That's brilliant news! If only Cairngorm had the same vision.

Wish you guys would give Cairngorm a break. We take groups there when gs has no snow and they are always very helpfull.
SO STOP GREETING AND GET ON WITH IT!!!!!
cumbrianskihead

Last Visited: 15:14
12th Feb 2017
Date Posted: 23.22hrs on Fri 16 Dec 16
Hipennine Wrote:
cumbrianskihead Wrote:

Inacuracies:

A fixed grip chailift faster than a T-bar? Only if a loading conveyor is used is this true, or if the T-bar was slower than 2.4m/s. Most T-bars in the alps run at 2.5m/s, 2.8m/s, 3.0m/s or as fast as 3.5m/s

Maybe, but a T bar maxes out at about 1200 pers per hour whereas fixed grip quads can move double that number, so queues move faster (and a sit down rests the legs).

Yep, this is very true - 2400p/ph is very common for 4-CLF chairlifts.
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.25hrs on Fri 16 Dec 16
harley Wrote: swavis Wrote: Wow! That's brilliant news! If only Cairngorm had the same vision. Wish you guys would give Cairngorm a break. We take groups there when gs has no snow and they are always very helpfull. SO STOP GREETING AND GET ON WITH IT!!!!!
But you can buy cake at Glenshee too - why go all the way to Cairngorm?
Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.00hrs on Mon 19 Dec 16
The planning application has now been called in by the CNPA.
eurotele

Date Posted: 13.54hrs on Mon 19 Dec 16
Olderalan Wrote:

Great to see yet more investment and forward thinking at Glenshee, unlike certain other operators who've been removing / running down winter assets

Will be writing a letter in support of the application, as I have for all the previous developments.

Still more lift infrastructure needing updated on the hill,
but to be fair GS are doing their best to make it happen and improve the overall experience on one of the most heavily used parts of the hill

Next
i'd like to see them re align Butcharts access poma and double it up to land just in between the current offload and the top of Cairn Aosda T bar

then we can see about the other side and perhaps an up and over chair

all do able in a 5 year plan I reckon

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.47hrs on Mon 19 Dec 16
Olderalan Wrote:

Well that is always going to be the case for an application like this. The reality is that it is better for it to be called in that not, as then it can't be challenged for not being called in.

What intrigues me is that having read the application is the export sales direction document from Poma seems to suggest that this is a brand new lift. The technical data sheet has information from a lift in La Clusaz, but indicates that it was constructed in 2014, so hardly likely for a candidate for moving.

I have to say I am surprised that it is not up Butchers or Cairn Aosda, hopefully the Cairn Aosda T-Bar will run this year.

I still think my idea of an up and over chair with optional unloading at the top has merit for replacing a gaggle of surface tows on Sunnyside.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 00.36hrs on Tue 20 Dec 16
jabuzzard Wrote:

I have to say I am surprised that it is not up Butchers or Cairn Aosda, hopefully the Cairn Aosda T-Bar will run this year.

A chair up Carn Aosda would be good for all abilities, being able to link to a long green without using a difficult tow. Might be one for the future, but it would have to be accepted that a Carn Aosda chairlift would run a good deal less than one on the line of the Cairnwell T-bar due to significantly more exposure and running across the prevailing wind.

Extending the Sunnyside Chair has been under consideration for some time, though I think Meall Odhar should be a higher priority, certain weather patterns leave West aspects bare, while East aspects are in good condition and that can leave decent skiing in Coire Fionn inaccessible.

I'd like to stick a chair in the middle valley from the base of Tom Dearg to the Caenlochan Poma and stick a decent snow making system in with it. Snow sure, sheltered green terrain and much improved connections around the middle valley which would spread people out, remove a bottleneck, make the connections that keep further out open more reliable and make the Meall Odhar Cafe a real hub for that side of the road as the Baddoch has made the Cairnwell Restaurant.
swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.47hrs on Tue 20 Dec 16
harley Wrote:
swavis Wrote:
Wow! That's brilliant news! If only Cairngorm had the same vision.
Wish you guys would give Cairngorm a break. We take groups there when gs has no snow and they are always very helpfull.
SO STOP GREETING AND GET ON WITH IT!!!!!

Hardly greeting, I just wish Cairngorm would add some uplift rather than reduce it. And I do get on with it, at the Lecht or Glenshee winking smiley
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.21hrs on Tue 20 Dec 16
swavis Wrote:
Hardly greeting, I just wish Cairngorm would add some uplift rather than reduce it. And I do get on with it, at the Lecht or Glenshee

To be fair Glenshee have removed lifts too. The Grianian Poma; Tiger Tow long before the new chair replaced the lost capacity, and the Trainer Tow for certain.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.34hrs on Tue 20 Dec 16
alan Wrote:
A chair up Carn Aosda would be good for all abilities, being able to link to a long green without using a difficult tow. Might be one for the future, but it would have to be accepted that a Carn Aosda chairlift would run a good deal less than one on the line of the Cairnwell T-bar due to significantly more exposure and running across the prevailing wind.

Assuming it matched the GMD chairs on Cairngorm then personally I don't care. At 38mph steady wind, I am long off the mountain.

I'd like to stick a chair in the middle valley from the base of Tom Dearg to the Caenlochan Poma and stick a decent snow making system in with it. Snow sure, sheltered green terrain and much improved connections around the middle valley which would spread people out, remove a bottleneck, make the connections that keep further out open more reliable and make the Meall Odhar Cafe a real hub for that side of the road as the Baddoch has made the Cairnwell Restaurant.

I was under the impression that a chair was in the works for this as well though.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.49hrs on Tue 20 Dec 16
jabuzzard Wrote:
swavis Wrote:
Hardly greeting, I just wish Cairngorm would add some uplift rather than reduce it. And I do get on with it, at the Lecht or Glenshee

To be fair Glenshee have removed lifts too. The Grianian Poma; Tiger Tow long before the new chair replaced the lost capacity, and the Trainer Tow for certain.

They also lost Courrour and Meall Odhar T-Bar. Point is they are now undoing the historical damage so I can easily support this move.

Unusually I don't fully agree with Alan about Meall Odhar. I agree that Coire Fionn can have snow but it's often at the end of the season when numbers fall below break-even. There isn't an obvious way to get practical chairlift access from car park to Coire Fionn AND get back again.

You could put a chair up the Cluny but you would then need another chair up Meall Odhar Poma and that would not make the Meall Odhar cafe anything other than a difficult walk.

If they install chairs as part of natural lift replacement it's fine, but you can't make a business case for it based on a few days skiing on Coire Fionn.

As for a chairlift up the valley burn, it's another luxury. Ideally it would have a mid-stop near the Cluny as the run from Cluny for Tom Dearg can be tricky for beginners due to holes and inconsistent Gradients and contours. The mid-stop would also help if the back passage is complete but Tom Dearg/Sunny side Poma is broken.

cumbrianskihead

Last Visited: 15:14
12th Feb 2017
Date Posted: 23.39hrs on Wed 21 Dec 16
Mid-station stops are the way forward - more flexibility for low investment. Ive also seen some mid-station stops of the 'chairlifts.org' (american website) which have hydraulically lowering headsets/sheave trains, so that the mid-station can be disabled or enabled and ajusted to the depth of snow (probably more of an issue in north-western US ski resorts than here!)

So Jabuzzard, where was Grianian Poma? Ive never heard of it before...

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 02.18hrs on Thu 22 Dec 16
cumbrianskihead Wrote:

So Jabuzzard, where was Grianian Poma? Ive never heard of it before...

It run parallel to the Sunnyside Pomas, but on the other (South) side of the Sunnyside Chairlift. It was quite a bit along the carpark and had it's own ticket hut at one point. I never saw it in operation, and legend has it there was the odd poor unfortunate soul who got on it, never to be seen again, swallowed by one of the numerous peat bogs the uptrack crossed!!! eye popping smiley
xrtim

Last Visited: 09:21
26th Mar 2017
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Thu 22 Dec 16
Pomas were a revolution for ski areas in the 70s and 80s and the cheapest option. That is the legacy that Glenshee has now to deal with . I just wonder what you would design if you were starting fresh at Glenshee with a dozen or so lifts? Who remembers the corner on the old L shaped Bucharts T bar were the rope went slack and you had to step round?
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:2 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: