You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
firefly

Re: Snow patches in England and Wales 2017.
Date Posted: 11.41hrs on Sun 16 Apr 17
Excellent, Stringy. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a wee bit left at Brown Cove. Here's the text of my FB post:

OK, here are a few links for the purists out there...
The Sentinel satellite provides an amazing resource, but only if you're lucky with a) the weather, and b) if it's flying overhead at the right time. Fortunately for snow-patch lovers, the stars aligned on Sunday (9 April) and the satellite really came up with the goods. Most of the information posted below we knew, or had guessed, but it's good to have it confirmed.

1. In this capture, the last snow of Carnedd Llewelyn is visible. The Y Ffoes Ddyfn is visible, as are some other patches. At a guess this snow will persist until at least this weekend. It's highly likely the remnants on Snowdon will be gone during this week. [apps.sentinel-hub.com]|2017-04-08&cloudCorrection=none&atmFilter=&showDates=false&evalscript=

2. The large wreath spotted by Mark Johnston previously on Stybarrow Dodd is still there, and a fair size. The largest in England on this date. It's very exposed to the sun, and the Brown Cove patch on Helvellyn may yet outlast it. I think it'll be a toss-up. The question is whether either of these patches will outlast those on Carnedd Llewelyn. They're likely to go within days of each other, I suspect. [apps.sentinel-hub.com]|2017-04-16&cloudCorrection=none&atmFilter=&showDates=false&evalscript=

3. There's nothing on the north escarpment of Cross Fell or its environs. [apps.sentinel-hub.com]|2017-04-16&cloudCorrection=none&atmFilter=&showDates=false&evalscript=

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 11.46hrs Sun 16 Apr 17 by firefly.

Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: