You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Ski.Fish.Bike.

Last Visited: 11:00
12th May 2017
Climate Change!!
Date Posted: 20.48hrs on Sun 5 Feb 17
Everyone is entitled to their own option on Climate Change.

But, you can't deny that it exists when...

-Expedition to the North Pole are becoming more difficult, due to thinning and melting ice.

-The Lewis glacier, Mt Kenya has lost 90% of its volume over the past 80 years.

And that there are xxxxxx amounts of scientific evidence available.

I want to hear your options.

GO!!

ratbag

Last Visited: 07:58
6th Feb 2017
Re: Climate Change!!
Date Posted: 21.28hrs on Sun 5 Feb 17
I have been running ski courses for children at Glenshee for the last 25 years. There is nothing new in the impossibility of predicting snow conditions. The observation made by Alan that we get good and bad conditions in some sort of sequence is totally accurate. We have just got to live with it and enjoy the good times when they come around

Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.57hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
Well, Donald Trump says it is all a lie made up by the Chinese, so.....
Actually, I don't dispute it. The science seems to me to be overwhelming. However as a skier on Scottish mountains since the 1970's, I know that weather comes and goes and a blanket assertion that skiing in Scotland is finished because of climate change is daft. We'll have plenty of good years yet.

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.53hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
My options? There are lots.
Or do you mean my opinions? Well, this is an internet forum so we hardly need an invitation to talk mince.

As for the facts - well yes, there does seem to be plenty of evidence for global warming, and that mankind is contributing.
There does also seem to be some countervailing evidence though, and it worries me that this is being tackled by political and cultural means rather than scientific. The whole "the evidence is settled - 99.9%* of scientists agree" thing is not a scientific approach, because in science the evidence is only ever settled temporarily, until someone digs up new evidence and makes a new theory.
Can you imagine it? "Sorry Isaac, 99.99%* of natural philosophers agree that a body in motion will slow down and stop, you'll have to drop this equal and opposite reaction nonsense."

But whatever, the ice is indeed melting - though it's also tending to come back stronger in the winter... and the issue with Mt Kenya is not as simple as "it's getting warmer so it's melting," deforestation and consequent reduced precipitation has a lot to do with it, so yes, man-made climate change, but a more complex picture.

But never mind that, what about the important stuff - Scottish skiing?
It's funny how global warming talk comes up whenever it's a poor ski season, but a good one brings out the "global warming? rubbish!" brigade. A bit of historical perspective would help, as would an understanding that weather can vary depending on a whole lot of factors - the world is not warming uniformly and Scotland will continue to have a temperate maritime climate where the biggest influence is the precise latitude of the path depressions arrive on.
My guess is that it will all look much the same.

*or whatever the claimed percentage is

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.18hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
after threatening to talk mince...Bomp keeps it out of trump territory...well done

a more energetic artic due to warming may make northern blocking and colder winters for scotland more common but not every year

climate and weather are related...but dont share a bed

I am just glad a long baltic blast is on the way

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.19hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 12.20hrs Mon 6 Feb 17 by remote_patrol.

Attachments: global-warming-hoax.jpg (47kB)  
pinhead27

Last Visited: 10:03
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.24hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
^

Nice!

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.24hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
love it

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

David Goldsmith

Last Visited: 08:28
6th Nov 2018
Date Posted: 13.25hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
Yes, of course ...

The Scottish Highlands, sitting between the rapidly melting Arctic glaciers and the rapidly melting Alpine glaciers, has a unique climate that means we can just ignore these trends - and the atmospheric pollution associated with them - sit back, and dream up the unlimited snowy winters to come.

"Scotland had a glacier up to 1700s, say scientists"
[www.bbc.co.uk]

"Scotland’s ‘400-year-old’ glacier"
[www.bgs.ac.uk]

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.28hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
David Goldsmith Wrote:
Yes, of course ...

The Scottish Highlands, sitting between the rapidly melting Arctic glaciers and the rapidly melting Alpine glaciers, has a unique climate that means we can just ignore these trends - and the atmospheric pollution associated with them - sit back, and dream up the unlimited snowy winters to come.

"Scotland had a glacier up to 1700s, say scientists"

"Scotland’s ‘400-year-old’ glacier"

If there were any remnant glaciers in Scotland in the 1700s they certainly were not on the Great Slab of Coire an Lochan. Dr Adam Watson has comprehensively debunked this claim and offered much more credible explanations for the features used to try and justify the glacier claim.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.35hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
There is no doubt we have had an exceptional run of 5 months benign weather since the start of meteorological autumn, but the following stat puts a wee bit of perspective on the hysterical Scottish Skiings over media coverage recently.

Mean January temperature anomaly for Scotland with respect to the 61-90 average and comparative webcam images from 30th January:

January 2017: Temperature anomaly +1.5°c

January 2014: Temperature anomaly +1.5°c

In short mean temperature tells us very little about the dynamics of Highland mountain weather and given our geographic location in the battlezone between various different climate zones and their air masses - the synoptic pattern will have an impact on our temperature far greater than global changes.

There is nothing in the UKCIP09 projections that say snow is just going to disappear from the Scottish Mountains and if it did in the lifetime of anyone on this forum we'd have far greater concerns than skiing.

We've seen cyclical periods of good and bad since people first ventured into the Scottish hills on skis long before there was formal mechanised snowsports even. As I posted recently 2017, 2012, 2007, 2002, 1997, 1992... quite freaky that we should get a pattern where every 5 years there was a season very significantly poorer than the ones preceding it - or is it given the just under 11 year average of Solar Cycles?

Does not mean we should not care about AGW and Scotland frankly is doing a hell of lot more than much of the world, but I do despair that despite personal changes at the top the same attitude appears to prevail in CairnGorm Mountain Limited that did with Bob Kinnaird 15 years ago - it won't snow again!

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 14.43hrs Mon 6 Feb 17 by alan.

Attachments: mb-jan-30th-2017.jpeg (163kB)   mb-jan-30th-2014.jpeg (29kB)  
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
alan Wrote:

.......we'd have far greater concerns than skiing.

Can't think of any ;-)

Ski.Fish.Bike.

Last Visited: 11:00
12th May 2017
Date Posted: 23.32hrs on Mon 6 Feb 17
Regardless what you think, Climate Change will have a negative and positive impact on Scotland.

Warmer and drier summers may have a positive effect for higher crop yields and the possibility to grow Exotic Crops.

However, Exotic Crops can have both positive and negative effects.

a)They provide biodiversity.
d)Access to a variety of locally growing Exotic foods.
c)Invasive Plants with highly complex organisms.
b)Invasive pests and diseases that are hard to manage.

And soil quality would become poorer, due to heat and soil moisture stress. The availability of fresh water could cause problems for livestock. Heat stress, due to warmer and wetter conditions and new diseases in livestock.

And the list goes on.

growwild

Date Posted: 01.03hrs on Tue 7 Feb 17
WTF, Can we ban religion fae the internet?

A writes aff C and B as the last 2 are Biodiversity and any decent organic grower shouldn't have a problem with C and B unless C and B is a product of monsanto and co, one of the 'saviours' of this man made globaly warmed climate change thing...

Poor quality soil and moisture stress don't equate tae bumper crops either, yer fantasy fear needs mair work...

Heat has been good for man, man parties, man has food and man makes things, Cold is good for war... We're due cold according tae the big loop that's longer than the trail of bullshit that follows al gore aboot.

I'm gonna have a smoothie aw made fae exotic and local plants that were born and harvested outside Glasgow while I puff a big fat blunt that was grown in Scotland too and I'm fecking freeezing, wit needs tae change?

tim1mw

Date Posted: 16.48hrs on Tue 7 Feb 17
One of the possible effects of climate change will be a reduction in the strength of the gulf stream. At the more extreme end, some say it could stop altogether. This would cause Scotland to become more like Labrador in terms of climate. ie much colder and snowier.

Scotland seems to get a bad winter (from an snowsports perspective) once every 4-5 years, the last was 2012, so while it's annoying, I'm not surprised.

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: