You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Better broadband for Glencoe?
Date Posted: 13.58hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
Just picked this up, but apparently Openreach are going to upgrade ALL remaining exchanges to 21st Century Network (21CN) powered Wholesale Broadband Connect (WBC) platform by the end of 2018.

[www.ispreview.co.uk]

In laymans terms it means everyone gets the option of a ADSL2+ up to 20Mbps option, though if you are sufficiently far from the exchange it might not actually benefit you. This is projected to give 99.8% coverage to the UK at 10Mbps. The 0.2% is people too far from the exchange.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.29hrs Thu 9 Feb 17 by jabuzzard.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Better broadband for Glencoe?
Date Posted: 14.51hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
Will read that later, but my understanding is that it is a platform/protocol change that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything to the backhaul which at the Kingshouse is even more of a constraint than 512kbs max the DSLAM can do.

BT's 21CN project is about switching the trunk network entirely to a packet switched IP network - it does not specifically stipulate what the packets have to be transported over.

A problem for the ski areas is the expectation that decent connectivity can be provided to customers, what was decent enough just a few years ago is now grossly inadequate in terms of bandwidth required, and what's currently available to Glencoe was grossly inadequate 10 years ago!
paraffin

Date Posted: 15.46hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
Oh no!

Will this mean even more people in the café can stare mutely at their screens without having to join in the craic! ;-)

(Obviously, I typed this whilst staring mutely at my screen in a public place)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.40hrs Thu 9 Feb 17 by paraffin.
Gogsyboy

Last Visited: 11:11
4th May 2019
Date Posted: 16.37hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
haha, paraffin, lol. (need a like button Alan!)
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.53hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
alan Wrote:
Will read that later, but my understanding is that it is a platform/protocol change that doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything to the backhaul which at the Kingshouse is even more of a constraint than 512kbs max the DSLAM can do.

BT's 21CN project is about switching the trunk network entirely to a packet switched IP network - it does not specifically stipulate what the packets have to be transported over.

It's part of a program for the universal 10Mbps commitment so the indications are that the backhaul is getting upgraded to support the 21CN WBC platform, otherwise what would the point be...
paraffin

Date Posted: 18.39hrs on Thu 9 Feb 17
Hi Jabuzzard,

Just wondering if your current connection to the big wide world provides broadcast only?
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.47hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
alan Wrote:

The BT Wholesale broadband availability checker tells me that 01855-851226 on the Kingshouse exchange is now good for up to 7Mbps down, up to 1Mbps up with a 4.5 to 10Mbps downstream range.

It also tells me 01855-851259 (Kingshouse hotel) is good for up to 16Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up with a downstream range of 8 to 19.5MBps. Potential for a fixed wireless link.

While not brilliant much better than 512kbps, and clearly improvements where made.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.33hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
jabuzzard Wrote:
alan Wrote:

The BT Wholesale broadband availability checker tells me that 01855-851226 on the Kingshouse exchange is now good for up to 7Mbps down, up to 1Mbps up with a 4.5 to 10Mbps downstream range.

It also tells me 01855-851259 (Kingshouse hotel) is good for up to 16Mbps down, 1.5Mbps up with a downstream range of 8 to 19.5MBps. Potential for a fixed wireless link.

While not brilliant much better than 512kbps, and clearly improvements where made.

Well the broadband checker is fibbing for now! sad smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.19hrs Fri 14 Dec 18 by alan.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.18hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
alan Wrote:

Well the broadband checker is fibbing for now!

That is highly unlikely. This is the BT Wholesale checker I am talking about. If it says the exchange is upgraded for WBC ADSL 2+ then it's upgraded. No if's and no buts.

[www.btwholesale.com]

Mistakes in this checker are all down to being shown coming from the wrong cabinet, which is not relevant here. The idea that BT Wholesale have randomly upgraded it in the checker to WBC ADSL2+ when it is not is very small indeed.

As an example to not showing stuff my cabinet has physically had a g.Fast pod on it since September, but it is still not showing up on the BT Wholesale checker that I can get a g.Fast service.

If you are 100% certain that it is wrong, I am sure the folks over at thinkbroadband would be very interested hear about it.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.17hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
jabuzzard, have just spoken to our supplier and the information regarding ADSL2+ does seem to be correct however they think the issue for our slow broadband speed is the old copper cable with around 30 breaks that runs from the Kings House to the ski centre. They are currently looking at getting us moved across to ADSL2+ to see what difference it makes. Will keep you posted.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 17.47hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
jabuzzard Wrote:
alan Wrote:

Mistakes in this checker are all down to being shown coming from the wrong cabinet, which is not relevant here. The idea that BT Wholesale have randomly upgraded it in the checker to WBC ADSL2+ when it is not is very small indeed.

As an example to not showing stuff my cabinet has physically had a g.Fast pod on it since September, but it is still not showing up on the BT Wholesale checker that I can get a g.Fast service.

If you are 100% certain that it is wrong, I am sure the folks over at thinkbroadband would be very interested hear about it.

Equipment that can support >20mbit connections are right now synced at 228kbs up and 576kbs down.

geeo

Last Visited: 20:04
7th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 18.04hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
Get jabuzzard to run a new fibre with that reel he had in his garden, no probs smiling smiley

You could maybe terminate it at the kings house and use that crappy LR wifi that half the undeveloped world have to use to get it to you.
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 18.49hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
The latency over the ADSL has notably reduced and the connection is more stable, though not synced any faster. Possible the backhaul capacity has been increased but not yet an upgrade of the DSLAM. Even getting the 500k was usually wishful thinking before and the latency normally awful!

There is a power issue at the top of the chairlift that has knocked off some of the internal network which is why not all webcams were working at dusk - it is hoped to look at the issue in the morning if the weather doesn't close in too quickly.
paraffin

Date Posted: 20.08hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
Excellent news!
Gone are the days of using two empty tin cans connected by a length of string. All you had to do was keep the string tight and take turns at talking and listening.
Perhaps Jabuzzard needs to practice these basic skills.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 20.22hrs Fri 14 Dec 18 by paraffin.
jabuzzard

16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.11hrs on Fri 14 Dec 18
alan Wrote:

Equipment that can support >20mbit connections are right now synced at 228kbs up and 576kbs down.

You probably need your ISP to migrate you to an ADSL2 Max profile. As I understand it, it is not necessarily automatic. That would explain why you are now synced at max speed for the ADSL and the latency has improved, but you are not getting more than 576kbps down 228kbs up.

Probably worth asking in one of the following thinkbroadband forums. If you post details I am sure you will get some feedback on how to unlock the extra speed.

[forums.thinkbroadband.com]

[forums.thinkbroadband.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.45hrs Fri 14 Dec 18 by jabuzzard.
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: