You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
footprint

Last Visited: 15:27
8th Mar 2017
Glenshee or Glencoe - which will go bust first?
Date Posted: 15.27hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Harley has written on previous occasions that Glenshee is running out of funds. But can Glencoe be doing any better? Both foolishly invested significant sums in snow dependant uplift and have had next to no skiers to pay the increased bills.

February Half Term has gone and no-one can dispute that we have gone way beyond a very poor season to a commercially disastrous season. While Nevis and CairnGorm can survive of their core sightseeing business there is just nothing to pay the bills at Glenshee and Glencoe.

It's not as if they were not warned. It is exactly what global climate models have showed for years. CML has faced up to the reality the others continue to bury their head in the sand.

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Re: Glenshee or Glencoe - which will go bust first?
Date Posted: 15.40hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
14 posts in over 5 years. That's some sleepy troll. Back under the bridge my Scandinavian friend!

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.06hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Footprint, You are correct in one thing it's not been the best of seasons so far but our diversification over the last few years into accommodation, dry ski slope for ski lessons and tubing, sledging on the mountain even when we don't have enough snow for skiing, later cafe opening hours, mountain biking etc means that we are building a business that is becoming more robust. We are on the back of 3 very good ski seasons so we were probably due a poor one. However with a normal closing date of early May still plenty of life left in this season.

Our planned chairlift will help us get skiers and snow boarders higher up the mountain ensuring even in lean years we have a better chance of providing decent skiing. The new Coire Pollach tow from what I have heard has been a great success and is now a firm favorite with many beginners and early intermediates.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 17.14hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
footprint Wrote:
Harley has written on previous occasions that Glenshee is running out of funds. But can Glencoe be doing any better? Both foolishly invested significant sums in snow dependant uplift and have had next to no skiers to pay the increased bills.

February Half Term has gone and no-one can dispute that we have gone way beyond a very poor season to a commercially disastrous season. While Nevis and CairnGorm can survive of their core sightseeing business there is just nothing to pay the bills at Glenshee and Glencoe.

It's not as if they were not warned. It is exactly what global climate models have showed for years. CML has faced up to the reality the others continue to bury their head in the sand.

Here is the deal - how about you post your real identity ?
Then maybe we can humour your trolling with a considered reply ?

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.53hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Deflection by the OP? I'll just leave these here!

CML Accounts:

PDF: [parkswatchscotland.co.uk]

Well worth reading latest post from Parkswatch Scotland: [parkswatchscotland.co.uk]

Looks to me that one of Scotland's five commercial snowsports areas is indeed a financial basket case, but it's not Glenshee nor Glencoe. It's the one which is high cost and because it slashed it's capacity now low income and can't make hay when the sun does shine.

The one that on Sunday had to suspend ticket sales early when if they had opened the the Cas T-bar and West Wall Poma (for Top Basin at least) could have sold around 250 more tickets.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.57hrs Wed 8 Mar 17 by alan.

Attachments: cml-accounts1.png (24kB)  
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.13hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Agree its one of the poorest seasons on record, but in time it will get better with more investment such as snow making and chairlifts which both resorts are currently investing, if it wasn't for snow making in the alps, it would have been a terrible season in the alps.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 18.46hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Ha ha....what complete pish footprint.What Andy has done at glencoe is fantastic. I remember sheltering under the porch in June 1997 whilst on the west Highland way, thinking to myself why is this place closed at 4.30?..all these folk just passing it by on the way to the Kingshouse.
As for Glenshee I'm sure they have money in the bank for a poor seas on like this - it's hardly a new thing....poor season was probably overdue. The only basket case is the job creation scheme called CGM....just as well the public purse will keep it going.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.25hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Yes, ha ha, clearly Footprint doesn't understand the diversification that has happened at Glencoe, as igloo4you discusses. It's much more an all year round centre now.

I agree the Coire Pollach tow has been a terrific investment - on days this season I've been up this area has had the best skiing, as the upper mountain has been closed.

CGM hasn't diversified into anything useful, and is limited in the mountain biking due to is it planning and/or environmental rules?

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.27hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Surely the time has come to stop trying to make money out of Cairngorm?

The operating company should be a not for profit group run by skiers and people with links to Speyside. It should be supported by a strong voluntary element to maximise wider enthusiasm in snow sports and help to minimise costs. It should focus on its USB as a skiing area and a base for mountaineering, first and foremost. Surely everything else is either ancillary to that or better done elsewhere?

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 21.32hrs on Wed 8 Mar 17
Footprint (...whoever you are) : care to comment ?

[parkswatchscotland.co.uk]

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 21.34hrs Wed 8 Mar 17 by Doug_Bryce.

Hipennine

Date Posted: 07.49hrs on Thu 9 Mar 17
Guys, if you look back at footprints postings, you will find he (or is it she ?)just throws the raw meat, then never responds to people destroying his arguments.

Best not encourage him/her/it.

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.32hrs on Thu 9 Mar 17
I suspect its another NR top employee...

Been a rubbish season all round, & will affect all resorts. However I did state in a thread when NR took over that they are the sort that borrows on one company to falsely expand another one to make the books look good, to then borrow more, etc.

Until the whole house of cards come crashing down!!

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.28hrs on Thu 9 Mar 17
I looked back at all his posts and each one has been negative. no snow making on CG, all snow be none existant in 2020, putting more 'scrap' on the mountains with chairlifts and tows etc.

Looks like quite a troll and a pretty poor one at that.

Guaranteed to be someone from NR or a environmentalist hoping someone else goes bust to try get people to use their resort. from what I seen over the last couple years GC is only on the up and a new chairlift, recent poma tow and increasing accomodation aslong as the cafe extension, they are only on the up and doing VERY well at that.

harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 18.14hrs on Thu 9 Mar 17
I have thought for many seasons that we have too many ski resorts in Scotland.
The golden age of the 70s and 80s are long gone. There are just not enough punters and many more leisure activities on offer.

Cairngorm could be first on the list and perhaps the lecht ?

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.19hrs on Thu 9 Mar 17
Snow road starting in blairgowrie up and through to Granton on Spey...will add tourist traffic for all the Glens involved, less extreme version of the 500 route, opportunities for both ski resorts on this route for summer visitors

Too many ski resorts...utter rubbish, the four resorts being run well are doing fine, yes this year will hit the bank balance, but not their viability.

Great people with great ideas are successful, I see this at Glenshee, Glencoe and the Lecht in abundance (others can comment on Nevis as it's been a while since I went there)...CML well enough will be said on this without me repeating

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: