You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Boarders and T-Bar/Pomas Lifts
Date Posted: 22.21hrs on Tue 14 Mar 17
This may appear a silly question, so excuse that as I'm self taught.

WHY DO SOME/ALL RESORTS INSIST ON BOARDERS HAVING ONLY ONE FOOT STRAPPED IN WHEN TAKING LIFTS?

Ive often been picked up for strapping in both feet at Cairngorm and been told its Management Policy. I will usually only strap in both feet when the tow Path or lift presents an unacceptible risk for having only one foot strapped in. What Id like to know is where (Association/Federation?) this policy is coming from and what the reasoning behind it is? I dont get it at all. Im much more in control fully strapped in and much more confident for my own and others safety.

Some lifts take of like a jet and your dragged airborne from standing, how is a novice meant to stay upright in that situation with only one foot strapped in? Ive seen accidents from this on Cairngorm and in one particularly nasty occasion a lass split her chin. I felt angry about that, thinking that probably would not have happended if the Lass had been fully strapped in or even better the Lift working more reasonable for ease of use. Now thats a H&S matter that needs addressing!

Often tow tracks are cambered, sometimes very cambered pulling you towards a hole, a stone or a Pylon. You have much better control to avoid these hazards with both feet strapped in, and you can always just get of the lift if your heading for a bruising. Thats another H&S matter thats unsatisfactorily controlled which Im sure would be better managed by allowing both feet to be strapped in.

When you get off the lift with one foot strapped in you have to scarper out the way like someone dragging a gammy leg. Ive seen folk get of the lift and trip over themselves because of this. With both feet strapped in you can slide off and go, like skiers! No need to crowd the area like all these guys sitting down trying to strap in and causing an obstruction.

Im a very confident Rider with above average capability but actually feel vunerable to an increased risk of injury with only one foot strapped in going up Tows.

I think it should be the Boarders own choice whether they go fully strapped in or not.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 22.29hrs Tue 14 Mar 17 by ipod7584.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Re: Boarders and T-Bar/Pomas Lifts
Date Posted: 23.11hrs on Tue 14 Mar 17
As an occasional snowboarder who still uses click in boots I completely agree that having both feet clipped in certainly makes it easier however with both feet strapped in the potential if you fall for getting snagged by the T-bar and dragged up the mountain is much greater. Skiers can normally disentangle themselves as can a boarder with one foot loose. A boarder with both feet strapped in could suffer serious injury if dragged up the slope.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.18hrs on Tue 14 Mar 17
In some cases at least enforcing such a policy is an insurance requirement, but it could probably be countered with a robust analysis that the overall risk of a lift mishap would be reduced if boarders were free to choose which method they were more comfortable with.

Issues cited for justifying it include a greater risk of being entangled in a t-bar and being unable to release it in the event of a fall and ease of moving around on flat lift load and unload areas.
ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 10.27hrs on Wed 15 Mar 17
Sounds that the entanglement issue might be the main concern likley for the Policy. I guess this is by the potential for the t-bar/button poma hooking your board or leg, perhaps t-bar knotting itself around your leg/board. Ive never seen any of this happen, and come nowhere close to experienceing any off it either. Has anybody seen this happen?

Quite often beginners (experienced boarders too off course) loose thier balance on the lift and one foot comes of the board and things get worse. The chance of recovery after that are slim for a beginner and once in that situation the potential for injury is real. I feel much less prone to injury when my feet are locked together on the board as appossed to one front foot strapped in when the board can go one way and the free leg is following along trying to catch up. Is it not the case that on Slopes Boarders suffer less from bad leg injuries because their legs are held together on the board and not dangling free as with skies?

I suppose you might also get hooked up on loose clothing with a T-bar, again Ive not seen this happen and suspect it only a risk using inapproperiate clothing.

On flat areas yes you need a free foot to help you get around. But if theres slope at the load off point I prefer to be fully strapped before I off-load and just slide off the lift and go, as skiers do.

Does anyone know where this one-foot-in Policy is coming from, I suspect a national/international snow sport regulating entity responsible?

carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.53hrs on Wed 15 Mar 17
No comment on he boarding side of things, But what I will add is why are most uptracks all over the place in terms of the terrain? Hills, mounds and odd patches.

Could most most be plattened out with a nice smooth surface in the summer (rocks providing) and make sure the surface is nice and flat.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: