You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
mark-uk

Last Visited: 15:07
8th Dec 2017
Re: Glencoe Mountain Snow Making Project
Date Posted: 12.03hrs on Fri 29 Sep 17
Ive posted this on my 'Extreme Weather' facebook page. Great idea and for someone like me who lives in the midlands (England) would be good to know its worth visiting with snow guarenteed. At the minute i imagine i'm 1 of many who just wouldn't book with the view to ski in Scotland. Of course closures due to weather would still happen but a week long visit would probably guarantee a couple of days skiing at least if the snow is there.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 09.11hrs on Sat 30 Sep 17
Great idea! I've not got much to spare right now, but I've made a small pledge. Hopefully the businesses Andy is talking to will make up the difference.

For what it's worth, I'll put a link into the messages section of the Winterhighland app, though I suspect not many people are looking at it at the moment.
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 10.07hrs on Wed 11 Oct 17
I have just seen CML Facebook post regarding their snow factory and see they are trialing one for 2 months this coming winter. Presumably this is due to some level of uncertainty regarding the suitability and effectiveness of the system.

Was a trial on Glencoe not proposed by either party during discussions for this? I personally think that there would be a greater interest in fundraising if people had the opportunity to see it in action and in situe on the plateau... is this something that can be discussed with TechnoAlpin in relation to the Factory they are holding in reserve for GC?
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.05hrs on Wed 11 Oct 17
NO DOubt funded by public money.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.28hrs on Fri 27 Oct 17
I got an email from Andy today saying they've raised £50,000, but they're not going to be able to get the Snow Factory in and installed in time for this season.

"There are currently too many things working against us to sensibly push forward this year. The most crucial (along with our lack of funds) is our access track to the plateau which was delayed by SNH until so late this year that the contractors are now struggling due to poor weather to complete it within schedule before the winter. Without the track we can't get the 16 tonne Snowfactory container up onto the mountain and while a lease with the option to buy deal for this year might still be a possibility, going down that route and the not being able to get the unit onto the site would be a bit of a disaster.

We're really sorry that trying to get everything in place for this winter was just a step too far, however the good news is that we are extremely confident that we will have a unit in place by next summer, maybe earlier."

Good effort everyone...I really hope it gets installed as soon as....
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.57hrs on Fri 27 Oct 17
What would have been the case if the funds were raised...but access track wasnt complete, as I guess its not a simple case of levelling a bit ground for a 16tonne snow factory to be moved up a hill.

Great effort though. More than 1/4 of the way through public funding. Remarkable achievement if you ask me, even at this stage.

Least CG will weed out any issues for the Glencoe one.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.26hrs on Fri 27 Oct 17
Carsey,

If track not completed we had a contingency that the Snowfactory would be used for this year only down at the base station to keep dry slope snow covered and build snow on the bottom of the Access run.
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.04hrs on Fri 27 Oct 17
igloo4you Wrote:
Carsey,

If track not completed we had a contingency that the Snowfactory would be used for this year only down at the base station to keep dry slope snow covered and build snow on the bottom of the Access run.

Pretty cool, guess you lot would stockpile and ship it up the mountain for some runs?

Whats status RE. the new chairlift? still going to be operational for new year 18/19?
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.31hrs on Mon 30 Oct 17
WOOP WOOP!!!!!
Good job Andy!

Snowfactory Update - Monday 30th October

Newsflash - We are now working on a plan with TechnoAlpin to have the Snowfactory in place for late November/early December this year.

This will be a lease with option to buy deal and will see the unit sited at the old Access Chairlift drive if we don't manage to complete our new track in time to get it up the mountain before the snow arrives.

From this position the Snowfactory would be able to pump snow down onto the dry ski slope keeping it constantly snow covered throughout the winter and also be used to build a base on the bottom of the run back to the car park.

It's currently looking 50/50 whether we will get the new track completed in time (all dependent on the weather) but at least if we don't we now have a pretty exciting plan B.

Torn between praying for early season snow or praying for fine weather!
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.52hrs on Mon 30 Oct 17
cmorrison Wrote:

Torn between praying for early season snow or praying for fine weather!

Compromise on lots of fine cold dry weather to cool the land down so when any snow does arrive it can settle easier.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.31hrs on Wed 1 Nov 17
BBC reporting that they have secured enough money to lease it.

[www.bbc.co.uk]
tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.54hrs on Sun 5 Nov 17
If the snow factory does end up at the bottom of the mountain, it will be fascinating to see just how effective it is at maintaining a skiable base at low altitude, both for the beginner slope and as a way of extending the number of days the access chair runs are skiable.
ML

Date Posted: 21.06hrs on Sun 5 Nov 17
I asked this on Twitter, they said the New acces track makes a great blue 'tall-abfahrt'!
Maybe if the snow is great in a year, they could use the snow factory to create an easy downrun indeed! How long/drop would the top to bottom be!? Very alpine indeed!

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.25hrs on Sun 5 Nov 17
Most winters the snow is fairly reliable to an unusually low level in Weasel Gully, and is often skiable to between 1600 and 1800ft when there is little other snow below the top of the Access Chair at 2200ft. From there it’s about a 5 minute walk down the new track to Carpark.

I expect fewer will download on the chair as more discover it and the track like Traverse on CairnGorm should trap snow lowering the skiable snowline more often. That’s before you factor in a snow factory!
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 10.40hrs on Mon 6 Nov 17
so based on current forecasts/work remaining what are the chances of getting the track completed in time for the Snow factory delivery? Everything is crossed.
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: