You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:17 of 18
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2018
Date Posted: 16.18hrs on Sun 22 Apr 18
Graeme.....NOT starting a Bun-Fight......

Some comments on your Post.....

Why pick out the Pisting Squad ?

You, being a Working Class Laddie, should be fully aware, that what they do with some of the BEST Snow Grooming Machinery in the World, is actually their Job !

In years gone by......when you were still in Shorts....Bill Leitch and a few others struggled with the first machine on Cairngorm....an ungainly device made by Prinoth, which was two tracked units hinge-linked side by side, one with Daf Variomatic engine, the other with the operator's Cab ! This machine was more a failure than a success......probably due to the snowy Winters at the time....1973 !

When the small Kasbohrers came on the scene in the 1980's....they were a vast improvement....especially in the hands of Bob Jarvie, Willie MacKenna, Graham McAbe and Oops 2's Dad, Jim Cornfoot (senior)

As the years passed, larger and developmentally more sophisticated machinery came on the scene, bringing us to where we are now, with some of the top offerings from Europe in use on Cairngorm !

But behind the scenes, since these far gone days, there is one man who really does DESERVE to be rightly applauded for his un-faltering work both in and with the Cairngorm Kassbohrer Fleet ! Tommy Moody !! He has always done most of the work associated with keeping these machines in TOP Working order, travelled to Europe on more than one occasion to deal with the supplier......even been to major Exhibitions. He also does a mean bit of Pisting...night or day ! A man with a depth of experience,which no other Tiller Ops will EVER achieve. And Tommy has always done all this without asking......or it appears receiving....ANY plaudits !

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.01hrs on Sun 22 Apr 18
I was waiting for your reply George and surprisingly it is actually quite measured! I hope that if there had been social media at that time you would have been the first to thank them and as there was not I hope you bought them a pint or two.
When people go beyond just turning up and doing their job making our lives more pleasurable it is right to thank them and currently I think it is Adam and his team. In the 40 years I have skied Cairngorm the pisting has been getting better and more creative. In 40 years time when each pistie beastie has a miniture snow factory mounted on the back and it lays ski runs like tar macadam we will be thanking them when they are up all day and night laying deep powder for us.

Graeme

telenord

Last Visited: 15:26
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.35hrs on Sun 22 Apr 18
Many thanks for all these posts. It has been great to read about the characters who have maintained the pistes together with Windy's information on conditions.

It has been noticeable that pisting has improved markedly over the last 5 or 6 years. Pisting early (or very late) helps. The snow needs at least 1.5h to sinter or "set-up" before it should be skied and this can only be achieved by carrying out most pisting before the centre opens. The new machines help too but I can detect an enthusiasm for this work that goes beyond "just doing the job". Whilst applauding those who carry out this work I also recognise the pioneering work done by those mentioned by Gorminator is his post. Scottish skiing has a wonderful history full of characters.

I love the idea of a mini-snow factory behind a piste machine. But I also love the idea of a snow factory somewhere on the hill (Shieling?) ensuring early and late skiing and at least one lift being open most of the season. I hope the idea of a permanent snow factory has not been forgotten. They have made great use of it at The Lecht.

Let's hope season 2018-2019 is every bit as good.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 17.55hrs on Sun 22 Apr 18
A minor observation, but it might have been useful for CML to tell prospective customers whether they plan to open tomorrow or not! Yes things might need checked AM, but at least say so?

Tried the phone line, generic undated recorded message that’s not varied since Funicular went to it’s 10am summer opening time.

Not date / timestamping info seems the be something of a thing with CML, so much for the responses to customers at the start of the season that timestamping the webcams was a priority! We are not talking rocket science here and perhaps there was a few things they should have considered before trashing a system that gave them significant free marketing benefits at considerable cost to us in what does seem to have been a fit of pique about a successful community open day on the future of the mountain.

CairnGorm if it is to have a future requires urgent chance and it starts with an operating company and owner who can run the snowsports area instead of running it into the ground.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.56hrs Sun 22 Apr 18 by alan.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 18.05hrs on Mon 23 Apr 18
Thanks for your comments Telenord "I can detect an enthusiasm for this work" I described Adam and Ruari as two kids in a sweet shop the day they were pisting the new runs on the east wall of the ciste!

It is getting dangerously close to the end of the season. The snow is disappearing fast and there is getting less and less to push around that is not mixed with mud to patch up the runs.

To-day was wet and not pleasant in the strong wind. At the very top of the ptarmigan it was snowing or to be more actuate frozen rain pellets stinging your face. This quickly turned to rain as you came towards the top station.

The snow was not too wet, still fast spring snow especially on the Ptarmigan traverse and the Lady. The cas is a bit sticky in the middle but does improve into the gun barrel and then back to wet at the mid station. Getting into the Lady is getting trickier, the link is patched but has turned brown.

The lady is getting thinner in places but in others still wide and enjoyable. Getting back to mid station is still easy.

The park still has a big kicker and smaller jumps to the side though the snow was running a bit slow here.

Most people were enjoying themselves, except when the rain got heavy. If you want a last slide of the season you will need to act fast. The weather this week is looking cold, blowy and possibility of snow high up.

Graeme

The Ptarmigan traverse is still deep and wide. To get back to the t-bar you use the wide ptarmigan run. If coming from the top station a snow link has been made to get you over.

The snow has been pushed about to get us back to the t-bar. You can see higher up is fine.

The underpass from the M1 tow path to the lady is rather brown.

The Lady is showing signs of thinning in a couple of places though wide and firm still in most.

Still and easy ski back to the mid station from either the Lady or the Cas. A bit of porridge when you take your skis off but acceptable.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 18.25hrs Mon 23 Apr 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Mid Station.JPG (231kB)   ptarmigan link.JPG (181kB)   Lady Entrance.JPG (227kB)   Lady.JPG (186kB)   Ptarmigan bowl.JPG (193kB)  
WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 16.17hrs on Wed 25 Apr 18
Arrived to fresh snow on the summit this morning and surprisingly fresh tracks were to be had though be it very short runs as the only area open was the Ptarmigan bowl.

The snow was fast first thing with a few mm of fresh on top of crunchy spring snow. This quickly softened and with heavy snow showers passing through much of the day things got decidedly sticky.

The runs to middle were closed as the winch cats were being used to knock in fence posts on the lady. One cat at the top as an anchor and the other tethered to its winch while on the steep sections banging in the posts. Looking at the snow on the Lady it does appear still to be complete so it will be interesting to see if they allow mid station stops once they have completed the post planting.

With no access to the funicular other than from the bottom it was running a 20 minute schedule and at its summer speed.

With only the Ptarmigan Bowl open it was time to be creative finding different ways to amuse ourselves. The park is holding up well with the big kicker, rails and ¼ pipe still in good condition. With no one around, I counted 8 ½ skiers (½ = small person), I had a few goes. Fast in the morning then much slower as the snow became stickier. There is still a large patch of snow on the east of the Ptarmigan, it gave some variety.

If they do not open the middle runs tomorrow there is not much going for intermediate and above skiers unless you wish to use the park. There is ample areas for low intermediate and beginners to have fun in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

If you do not mind a bit of a walk out the Ciste is still skiable to the west wall poma level if you are careful of the burn breaking through. The best walk out is across the Aonach or over yonder and down the Day Lodge run.

Graeme

Fresh tracks to be had this morning.

Ptarmigan Traverse, fresh snow, fast in the morning slow in the afternoon.

Still plenty of beginner and intermediate skiing available in the Ptarmigan Bowl.

The park has been prepared and good fun.

Looking down on the park before my run on the main kicker.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 16.24hrs Wed 25 Apr 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Ptarmigan Traverse.JPG (184kB)   Park take off.JPG (189kB)   Fresh Tracks.JPG (186kB)   Ptarmigan Bowl.JPG (179kB)   Park.JPG (206kB)  
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.00hrs on Wed 25 Apr 18
Cairngorm have confirmed that they will be closing on Sunday 29th April for the season

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.46hrs on Fri 27 Apr 18
Back on the mountain after yesterdays bad weather. The snow pack had firmed up over night with a small amount of fresh snow on top. No ice, just nice firm spring snow for the first hour, it started to soften fairly quickly.

There were heavy snow showers passed though much of the day giving some accumulation on the Ptarmigan traverse and the park. You would think this would be good but it actually made the snow sticky to ski. So much so I stopped using the park as I could not get enough speed up to leave the ground fully. Adam ran the machine up and down the Ptarmigan traverse and this improved it immensely.

It is only the Ptarmigan area open now as the fencing team were working at the end of the traverse and 105 areas knocking in posts. We were asked to keep clear of the machinery.

Still some fun to be had, even fresh tracks again in the same place as Wednesday.

This is the last weekend of skiing at Cairngorm. £20 for two tickets, effectively £10 a day. If you are looking for a last slide or just to say goodbye to the regulars this is it.

Next years season tickets go on sale on the 1st of May. To get the lowest early bird price you only have May then the price rises each month after.

Some people pictures going up on face book later.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

The park was running fast to start with then the fresh falling snow it slowed down so much I could hardly leave the ground.

The Bowl still has reasonable cover.

The Ptarmigan run.

Fresh tracks.

The fresh snow was very sticky indeed. Once the machine had been over it it was much improved.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.53hrs Fri 27 Apr 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: bowl.JPG (171kB)   Fresh.JPG (167kB)   Park.JPG (185kB)   Pisting.JPG (183kB)   Ptarmigan.JPG (190kB)  
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.44hrs on Fri 27 Apr 18
At long last you got a Job up there.......certainly not what we ALL expected......but MARKETING MANAGER ! Wow...Gee !

bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 21.18hrs on Fri 27 Apr 18
Gorminator Wrote:
At long last you got a Job up there.......certainly not what we ALL expected......but MARKETING MANAGER ! Wow...Gee !

What is your beef with Windy? As a regular on Cairngorm, I often come on here specifically to read the reports and view the picture that he takes the time to post on an almost daily basis. These reports are always accurate and honest.

Your posts on the other hand are unnecessary, sarcastic, and not related to the topic of this thread. Please stop.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.18hrs Fri 27 Apr 18 by bogbiker.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.07hrs on Fri 27 Apr 18
Have to agree with bogbiker. Seems quite a childish response from Gorminator. Please leave such responses out of this thread as they're not appropriate.

SWIMMER

Last Visited: 13:54
15th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 07.49hrs on Sat 28 Apr 18
I totally agree with Bogbiker and Dunc. Wendy's reports are honest and accurate. Please keep up the good work. I love to read the reports even when I can't make it up.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.25hrs on Sat 28 Apr 18
SWIMMER Wrote:
I totally agree with Bogbiker and Dunc. Wendy's reports are honest and accurate. Please keep up the good work. I love to read the reports even when I can't make it up.

Suspect it was sarcastic because Natural Retreats has been advertising for a new marketing manager for CML - to be based in Wilmslow!!

feshiebridge

Last Visited: 13:00
1st Feb 2019
Date Posted: 13.18hrs on Sat 28 Apr 18
Totally Agree with Swimmer, Dunc and Bogbiker.
This thread is for snow conditions and Windy does a great job with his posts.They are accurate and factual

There are other threads for comments not relating to conditions

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 18.32hrs on Sat 28 Apr 18
Thanks for the comments folks, appreciated. George’s sense of humour is a bit unusual.

It was a party atmosphere on the mountain today with the end of season Scottish Ski Club race, many in fancy dress. The course was set up down the Ptarmigan traverse on the fresh snow that had fallen over night. I was a bit concerned with where the non races were going to ski but plenty or room was left down the side of the run for us to get past.

The fresh snow was quite pleasant, not sticky like yesterday and was deep enough to allow fresh tracks in a number of places. The sun did make more of an appearance and was warm when it was out.

The cross over to the Ptarmigan was wider than yesterday as was the return to the t-bar.

The park was seeing a bit of action, running faster than yesterday up to about 14:00 when it was getting quite sticky.

A few were skiing the Lady. A bit of a walk in to just below the tunnel mouth then complete to below mid station. The problem is you then have to walk out to the day lodge as there are no mid station stops. On asking how good was it… pause… not all that good.

Tomorrow is the last day and the mountain will be closed for snow sports after this. Still quite a bit of snow but they are struggling to get more than 15 people a day turning up, often less. A shame as our group of regulars are still having a lot of fun. £10 a ticket tomorrow.

Some people pictures going up on face book later.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

The race run, atmospheric clouds.

Fresh tracks of the remaining east Ptarmigan patch.

Landing in one piece, her mother will be pleased.

The bowl with a nice covering of fresh snow.

The T-bar return repisted out.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 18.42hrs Sat 28 Apr 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Park.JPG (193kB)   T-bar return.JPG (208kB)   The Bowl.JPG (175kB)   East Ptarmigan.JPG (153kB)   race run.JPG (159kB)  
Current Page:17 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: