You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:18 of 18
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Re: CairnGorm Mountain Snow 2018
Date Posted: 22.04hrs on Sat 28 Apr 18
Great pics Windy - have really enjoyed your pics and updates this season. Thanks!

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Sun 29 Apr 18
Well that was it folks, end of the winter ski season on Cairngorm. It went out with a bang or more a splat as I careered off course on the big kicker, massive air and then went flat on my face. Face slightly hurt but pride destroyed as everyone saw it, even Druie the rescue dog. Oh well, picked myself up and did it successfully a few more times.

There had been about 5cm of fresh snow over night changing the surface very nicely and we were enjoying fresh tracks in the strong sunshine, even venturing off piste into Ciste Mheread and skinning back out. The new snow was silky smooth up till about lunch when it started to change rapidly.

A number of the regular faces up to say goodbye and compare stories of the season. Not a bad season at all with continuous top to bottom cover from November till the warm winds and rain two weeks ago. 74 lift served days on Cairngorm for me, not a record but quite acceptable. It will go down as the season of the Ciste, in particular the east side and Laogh Mor.

As the winter season comes to a close the summer ski season now starts. The Ciste Gully, White Lady, Cas and the Gun Barrel still have very skiable snow if you want to earn your turns, and if you are confident venturing further afield there is ample off piste for the taking. The skiing is by no means over for the enthusiast.

There will be many more pictures going up on facebook later, people and views.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

The park was well prepared and running exceptionally fast in the fresh snow, as I found out to my cost. Ouch!

Fresh snow everywhere.

Silky smooth snow up till lunch time.

Fresh tracks above the top station and on the distant east Ptarmigan.

About 1/3 of the way down Ciste Mheread in fresh snow. Still easy to get to the waterfall.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.02hrs Sun 29 Apr 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Park.JPG (210kB)   Ciste Mheread.JPG (177kB)   above top station.JPG (196kB)   Fresh.JPG (223kB)   Ptarmigan Traverse.JPG (219kB)  
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.07hrs on Sun 29 Apr 18
Thanks for all your reports this season,Windy. Really appreciated !

Sunshine

Last Visited: 18:41
3rd May 2019
Date Posted: 18.06hrs on Sun 29 Apr 18
So once again the top is closed to skiers when there still appears be a lot of snow available for the keen skiers. Skiers will have to walk in again. A real scandal on a facility that has cost the public £34 million so far.

The barrier at the Ptarmigan Station conflicts with the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. Land outside the Ptarmigan station is land that has the right of responsible access under the act.

The top is closed for commercial reasons rather than conservation reasons.

People are responsible for their own actions so there is no responsibility for Natural Retreats to supply a ski patrol or other rescue services if the top remains open.

I suggest skiers complain to the Cairngorms National Park Authority (CNPA) who are the access authority under the act.

harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 18.19hrs on Mon 30 Apr 18
Sunshine Wrote:
So once again the top is closed to skiers when there still appears be a lot of snow available for the keen skiers. Skiers will have to walk in again. A real scandal on a facility that has cost the public £34 million so far.

The barrier at the Ptarmigan Station conflicts with the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003. Land outside the Ptarmigan station is land that has the right of responsible access under the act.

The top is closed for commercial reasons rather than conservation reasons.

People are responsible for their own actions so there is no responsibility for Natural Retreats to supply a ski patrol or other rescue services if the top remains open.

I suggest skiers complain to the Cairngorms National Park Authority (CNPA) who are the access authority under the act.

Its time to let go.

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.00hrs on Tue 8 May 18
Quite astonished to read this:

The buyout bid is being opposed by trade union GMB Scotland, which claims the takeover talks are causing disquiet among staff.

Liz Gordon, GMB officer for the Highlands, said: “Cairngorm has gone through many difficult years and is presently enjoying a level of stability that should be celebrated. We should all be supporting the long-term future of Cairngorm and its links to the community.”

That would be stability in the same way a patient in a persistent vegetative state is stable! eye rolling smiley

It's very interesting to see that long term staff are yet again opposed to anything that would enhance the snowsports offering and reverse the decline in CairnGorm's market share for the benefit of the wider Strath.

I also find it completely bizarre that GMB Scotland is supporting a company who far from strengthening ties with the community has shifted all company directorships and various senior admin and PR jobs not just out of Strathspey but out of Scotland to Wilmslow and beyond.

Link: [www.pressandjournal.co.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.14hrs Tue 8 May 18 by alan.

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 16.35hrs on Mon 14 May 18
Two weeks have passed since the end of the ski season at Cairngorm.The weather to-day was spectacular so up we went to see what snow there was to ski on. I saw from the house much of the snow had melted but it was a bit of a surprised when close up how little is left, much less than normal at this time of year.

Looking up from the car park the snow started at the gun barrel but did not appear to go past the 105 link so we decided to head up the windy ridge path. At the top station we could see the remains of the park but not much else, the ptarmigan traverse, which Shona skied last weekend had gone. The decision was made to head over to Ciste Mheread.

Ciste M looks more like June / July snow amounts. You can not ski from the torr we walked from just the top left of the ptarmigan tow area at a 45o angle and hit the upper of the patch there. The snow was soft, not granular and melting rapidly. We managed to get down to just above the water fall but the burn is breaking through so I don't think we will do that again.

After Ciste M we headed back to the ptarmigan area and played around the snow left from the park, a bit soft and sticky but nice in the warm sunshine.

After lunch we took the train back down. From the train we saw another Summer skiing regular skiing the lower cas and gunbarrel. We met up in the car park and asked how it was, meh was the reply. Soft and sticky.

There is probably not much time left for summer skiing as the funicular is being closed most of June for a significant overhaul and looking at the snow I don't think much will be left for July. I am sure we will give it a go though!

A few pictures on facebook later.
[www.facebook.com]

Graeme

Walking up the windy ridge path looking over to the cas.

Just over half way down Ciste M.

Heading back up, you can see in the upper left of the picture the top part of the patch.

Not much snow left in the ptarmigan area.

Not quite a jump, more a mound in the park.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.43hrs Mon 14 May 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: cas.JPG (224kB)   lower Ciste M.JPG (221kB)   Ciste M mid.JPG (210kB)   Ptarmigan.JPG (229kB)   Park.JPG (191kB)  
alan davis

Date Posted: 22.00hrs on Tue 15 May 18
The GMB are irrelevant these days and are about as clued up and useless as HIE. It's not a surprise here. Would like to see the GMB donation list though winking smiley

bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 09.34hrs on Thu 20 Sep 18
First snow on the hills this morning. Start your snow dances!

Current Page:18 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: