You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:8 of 9
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Re: CairnGorm Webcams
Date Posted: 16.42hrs on Sat 2 Dec 17
Be careful, someone might be daft enough to agree to that option

tupp

Date Posted: 09.27hrs on Sun 3 Dec 17
I just clicked on to the new White Lady webcam and apparently Cairngorm is now in the Arctic and enduring the polar night.

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 09.54hrs on Sun 3 Dec 17
''Camera temporarily unavailable''.......that's about 10 days now that customers have had to do without this service.....no doubt influencing decisions about going to CairnGorm or not!......and, what about the AWS? There has been nothing said about its replacement.
What a clueless lot that just seem intent on further destruction of their own business.

Kind regards

Olderalan

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.09hrs on Sun 3 Dec 17
Olderalan Wrote:
''Camera temporarily unavailable''.......that's about 10 days now that customers have had to do without this service.....no doubt influencing decisions about going to CairnGorm or not!......and, what about the AWS? There has been nothing said about its replacement.
What a clueless lot that just seem intent on further destruction of their own business.

Kind regards

Olderalan

I have come to the conclusion that CMl/NR are playing "Reverse Russian roulette"....

they have 5 bullets & one empty chamber....

Thing is HIE love them as they speak the same USA middle management powerpoint presentation marketing BS hype....

HIE have had so many other failures over the years...the airport business park anyone???...just to name one...

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

tim1mw

Date Posted: 14.52hrs on Mon 4 Dec 17
Catching up on this thread...

Since WinterHighland cameras are no longer working, they have been removed from the WH Android App for now, I haven't added in the new CML White Lady cam, since that isn't working either.

If this is about CML getting clicks on there website or via there app, then I shall be intrigued to see if they try to block third parties from using there webcam images, there are ways this can be done. My suspicion is that they won't do this, it's more likely that they just want to control what is viewed and when and don't care how the image is actually viewed.

I also note that they are relaunching their app, the old one has been broken for over a year now and was pretty lame when it was working (all it did was directly screen-scrape the CG website). The old app is still comes up if you search for "Cairngorm" on the play store, the new app should have been put up in place of the old one, since this hasn't happened I'm guessing that they have lost the signing keys... At the very least they need to take the old one down! The new app also refuses to let you do anything until you register.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Mon 4 Dec 17
tim1mw Wrote:
If this is about CML getting clicks on there website or via there app, then I shall be intrigued to see if they try to block third parties from using there webcam images, there are ways this can be done. My suspicion is that they won't do this, it's more likely that they just want to control what is viewed and when and don't care how the image is actually viewed.

Just open an http connection request the whole page, then start requesting the elements in the page aka the webcam picture. Use a browser header from say Android running Chrome or an iPhone running Safari depending on the platform of the app. Hey you could just request everything on the page for good measure. Nothing requires you to actually display everything in the page and there is no way of them knowing whether you have or not smiling smiley

Sure they could try and obfuscate it a bit with some Javascript but that is pretty pointless if someone is determined.

In the end if it displays in an ordinary web browser then there is NOTHING you can do to stop me scraping the image.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 15.23hrs on Tue 5 Dec 17
jabuzzard Wrote:
Just open an http connection request the whole page, then start requesting the elements in the page aka the webcam picture. Use a browser header from say Android running Chrome or an iPhone running Safari depending on the platform of the app. Hey you could just request everything on the page for good measure. Nothing requires you to actually display everything in the page and there is no way of them knowing whether you have or not

Sure they could try and obfuscate it a bit with some Javascript but that is pretty pointless if someone is determined.

In the end if it displays in an ordinary web browser then there is NOTHING you can do to stop me scraping the image.

You're right that in the end you can get around any block, the question is how much effort you're prepared to put in to getting around the block. Some types of block can't be defeated using a stock web browser, you need extensions to do it. Photobucket started blocking embedding recently for users who don't pay a large fee to allow embedding in 3rd party websites, the only way to defeat the block is with a browser extension, which I'm told is quite slow.

My suspicion is that if Cairngorm were to try to block the webcam images, they will do so by checking the http referrer header. This header tells the server the address of the page where the image is to be embedded, if the referrer doesn't match up with the Cairngorm website, you could block the image. They could also start generating unique keys in the page, which have to be passed with the image request in the referrer. I could fake the referrer in the app and potentially retrieve any unique keys they might generate to detect faked referrers, the question is, it worth the effort and will there be a knock on. I'm not certain of the extent to which the owner of an image published on a website, (or in this case a webcam) has the right to demand that you take the embed down. If somebody puts in place a referrer based block, then it is clear that they want to stop embedding, so at that point you leave yourself open to a "cease and desist" request. That may or may not not have any legal force, but considering the current "bad blood" between WH and Cairngorm, I would have to discuss with Alan how to react in such circumstances regardless.

Hopefully this post won't put ideas into CG's heads...

ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.40hrs on Wed 6 Dec 17
Given the technical difficulty that they have with setting up a webcam - then i think the above is unlikely.

jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.23hrs on Wed 6 Dec 17
That is true the technical incompetence is staggering, nearly surpassing Nadine Dorries total lack of understanding of information security issues.

glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 20.00hrs on Thu 7 Dec 17
Is winterhighland planning to reinstall the cams or is that them gone from gorm?

glenogle

Last Visited: 23:25
1st Jun 2018
Date Posted: 20.03hrs on Thu 7 Dec 17
Jamesybob Wrote:
This has appeared on Public Contract Scotland:

Title: Review of Cairngorm Ski Area Uplift Infrastructure
Published by: Highlands and Islands Enterprise
Publication Date: 30/11/2017
Deadline Date: 10/01/2018
Deadline Time: 12:00
Notice Type: 02 Contract Notice
Has Documents: Yes
Abstract: HIE requires a suitably qualified and experienced supplier to undertake a comprehensive, independent review of the uplift facilities at Cairngorm Mountain ski resort to determine the best way forward for potential reinvestment in the infrastructure including the long-term feasibility of redevelopment of Coire na Ciste. The review will significantly contribute to preparation of a 5-10 year long-term strategy for the ski area.
The contract is anticipated to be awarded for 8 months with an optional 2 months extension in case unforeseen circumstances delay the delivery of the services.
The total value of these services over the maximum duration of 10 months is estimated to be around GBP 75,000 and GBP 80,000 excluding VAT. This budget includes all Travel & Subsistence payable under this contract and any extension period, if required.

Surely this would be a good opportunity for Glencoe or glenshee (or jv) to tender for given their experience of trying to grow their customer base through investment and removal?

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.56hrs on Thu 7 Dec 17
Easy money. All the ideas are already in this forum. just needs a bit of editing and costing.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 21.01hrs on Fri 8 Dec 17
ropetow Wrote:
Given the technical difficulty that they have with setting up a webcam - then i think the above is unlikely.

Agreed! They would probably have to pay me to tell them how to do it and I'm not interested in the contract.

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.08hrs on Fri 8 Dec 17
I am curious
Winterhighland has been very quiet and not answered any of the questions posted on here or Facebook regarding the removal of the cameras and the legality ?

tim1mw

Date Posted: 21.31hrs on Fri 8 Dec 17
telemarker: I suspect the silence is deliberate. From what's been posted, it would seem that CML have taken the equipment and presumably still have it in there possession. Regardless of the legality, I suspect that Alan doesn't want to say anything that would make it any more difficult than is necessary to have the equipment returned nor does he want to cause the Scottish Ski Club a problem with there own relationship with CML.

Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:8 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: