You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456789Next
Current Page:1 of 9
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
CairnGorm Webcams
Date Posted: 12.11hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Shortly before 10.30am on Friday 24th November CairnGorm Mountain Ltd staff entered the private property of the Scottish Ski Club without the Club's permission and took our webcams out of service - fulfilling a threat made by the General Manager in a phone call on Thursday afternoon.

We will not be bullied by the General Manger of CML, nor will we wavier in our belief that the future of CairnGorm Mountain would be substantially brighter in the hands of the community.

If this incident is reflective of Natural Retreats management style then we have considerable sympathy for the staff and it would help explain the worryingly high turnover of skilled and experienced staff since summer 2014.

It's time for change on CairnGorm Mountain and if Natural Retreats still believe they have the right person managing CML then it only confirms that Natural Retreats is part of the problem and is not nor never will be part of the solution.

Over the years Winterhighland has spent thousands of pounds to provide coverage and marketing that primarily benefits CairnGorm Mountain Ltd, we believe that a successful CairnGorm is a prerequisite to a thriving Scottish Snowsports scene and will restore the webcams to service asap and thank the Scottish Ski Club for their continued support.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 13.54hrs Sat 25 Nov 17 by alan.

Attachments: ssc.jpeg (52kB)  
mtq1000

Last Visited: 18:19
15th Apr 2021
Re: CairnGorm Webcams
Date Posted: 13.57hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Any particular reason given as to why they would do this? I assume the Scottish ski Club will be in touch with CML too....

chrisski

Date Posted: 17.22hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
lets hope some action is taken against cml and the general manager. how on earth have they got away with it!??

glasgowcyclops

Last Visited: 18:20
17th May 2018
Date Posted: 17.56hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Absolutely shocking for them to do this. I have decided this year to boycott Cairngorm. Granted I only spent about £110 there a year.

I'm responsible for business development for a multi £M UK company in Asia PAC so have a lot of experience on how to develop and maintain a business relationship with clients. This is a classic example of how to NOT do business. Clearly they are amateurs that have been fortunate to "fall" upon a good opportunity.

They have formed the impression in so many people that they are a company that is simply milking the public purse. Now whether that is true or not I'll leave others to judge, but this is the impression they have give to so many. A crazy situation.

kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.22hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
This is extremely poor from CML,someone needs to be held accountable. Natural retreats needs to investigate this, this vandalism will severely tarnish Cairngorm mountains reputation, already there so many disgruntled skiers who are put off by axing the Ciste chairlift.

SkiBitch

Last Visited: 21:31
18th Dec 2017
Date Posted: 19.33hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
+1 boycotting cairngorm, sounds like desperate actions of a company before imminent failure and collapse

some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 19.34hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Get the info to all the papers. Local and National.

I think the police would be interested too, breaking & entering.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 19.46hrs Sat 25 Nov 17 by some frustrated skier.

mickdundee

Last Visited: 19:52
29th Jan 2021
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Did he/she say why they intended to disconnect? If feasible, I’m skinning up tomorrow so happy to plug back in if you send me instructions.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 21.07hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
Wow - shocking behavior...
Best response is to smile and then simply plug the web cams straight back in grinning smiley
Scottish ski club hut is private property owned by members.

If the cameras get taken down again then Cairngorm will continue to look very stupid. If they have any self awareness the negative comments on facebook <etc> would give them a clue ;-)

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.14hrs Sat 25 Nov 17 by Doug_Bryce.

Olderalan

Last Visited: 15:23
7th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 22.17hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
The data collected by the WH automated weather station was used to substantiate the case for snowmaking and was provided to CML to help to make the case.
Clearly then CML have been beneficiaries from the work done by WH [to say nothing of the costs involved that CML did not have to contribute towards] To now have this AWS as well as the webcams taken down by CML, in a fit of pique, is a rather strange way of saying thanks.

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 23.50hrs on Sat 25 Nov 17
You could not make this up and be taken seriously as a writer of pulp fiction. Yet here we are with a company doing almost everything they can to piss off the local and wider snowsports community. Oh well, no tickets being bought up there this year from me, if go I'll be earning turns I reckon. It's a shame. A real shame. There's plenty of us who appreciate what WH do, even if CML don't.

jamesb

Date Posted: 03.09hrs on Sun 26 Nov 17
Sounds like there's a right bunch of Law Breaking Tits running CML.

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 07.31hrs on Sun 26 Nov 17
Absolute idiots.
I learned to ski properly at Cairngorm and love the area, But I haven't been back since the ski area stsrted to lose its direction. I go to Glencoe and Glenshee now where I feel part of something special.

It's a shame for Speyside though. Hope they ultimately get some sort of community or local control back.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07.32hrs Sun 26 Nov 17 by PeterS.

ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 10.46hrs on Sun 26 Nov 17
alan Wrote:
Shortly before 10.30am on Friday 24th November CairnGorm Mountain Ltd staff entered the private property of the Scottish Ski Club without the Club's permission and took our webcams out of service - fulfilling a threat made by the General Manager in a phone call on Thursday afternoon.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 13.54hrs Sat 25 Nov 17 by alan.

This is really concerning. Please let us know what threat the General Manager made and their justification for it?

growwild

Date Posted: 13.08hrs on Sun 26 Nov 17
No point in continuing to promote the place if ya want change up there, help them along their merry way!

This just adds to my theory that neutering the posh is the way forward!

Goto Page:  123456789Next
Current Page:1 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: