You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:6 of 9
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Re: CairnGorm Webcams
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
Doug_Bryce Wrote:
StevieMcK Wrote:
"Our team are working hard to install a new camera at the Scottish Ski Club hut at CairnGorm Mountain. The new camera was installed inside the building yesterday with the permission of the Scottish Ski Club"

carsey Wrote:
Interesting....Why would the SSC hut/members give NR/CML permission to re-install their own camera's when they didnt even authorise the removal of the WH cams?

IMHO the Scottish Ski Club have been placed in impossible situation...
The land lease on their lunch hut dependent on good relations with the lift company. In addition their kids in junior race training / coaches likely get a discount on season tickets. Both of these dependent on historical good will.

In an ideal world they would take a firmer stance against bullying from Natural Retreats. However in the real world I can see why they wont wish to get involved.

From the planet ski link above.

"Ken Carruthers, vice president of the Scottish Ski Club told PlanetSKI that the club had been aware that CML wanted to remove the webcams as a result of a dispute between the company and Winterhighland.
He said the Club had wanted the cameras to remain as a valuable resource and wrote to CML asking if they could reach an understanding with Winterhighland to retain them.
Mr Carruthers said the Club had no axe to grind with either party and was "piggy in the middle" of the row.
He confirmed that the webcams had been dismantled without the Club's knowledge and without any member present.
He said CML has its own key to the hut for emergency access."

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 10.05hrs Wed 29 Nov 17 by Doug_Bryce.

Goodwill went out the window as soon as NR set foot within the SSC hut & removed the SSC cameras...

& like I said before this will not be the last of NR bullying as SSC has rolled over...

IMHO SSC should take a stronger stance & complain (per the book), otherwise they leave themselves 100% wide open to future abuse.

The day will come when they (SSC) will have to draw a line....but by then it may be too late I fear...

Stand up to bullies!!

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.13hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
As per updated statement CML gave to Planet SKI the camera is installed but with issues getting live uploads out. Of course we can’t say whether it is live or not because there is no time or date on the image.

There is only one camera titled White Lady from SSC, we had three views and the balcony camera was particularly useful for gauging new snow falls which was the very it looked accross the decking.

There is also no longer a live weather feed. More significantly the collection of data for snow making modelling has been lost. Of course that information has been used to make the case for uplift in the Lower reaches of Coire na Ciste, perhaps that’s considered unhelpful to HIE and CML?

Why do I suggest that? In Dec 2014 myself and 2 others had a meeting with the General Manager and Ops 1 in Coire na Ciste. We offered to put at our expense two automatic weather stations in Coire na Ciste to collect data for snowmaking research and wind data to allow a quantitative anyalysis of potential chairlift operation and to have a data set to share with manufactures of lift equipment to consider the pros and cons of different options.

CML never flat out refused, instead a list of conditions were attached to make it all but impractable. The data was not to be recorded over the internet, was not to be made public either in real time or as an archive and the clincher - we had to take the SSC AWS offline.

CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 10.36hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
I understand the desire to channel internet traffic through their website to tighten their control on marketing. Its a business after all, and a multi million pound one behind it all.

By the sounds of it, they have gained entry - without consent - and removed the assets of Winterhighland - without consent - therefor damaging WH's ability to make revenue. If they were to remove the Loch Morlich camera would it be any different? Or for that matter Glencoe? (legally speaking)

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 10.37hrs Wed 29 Nov 17 by CMartindale.

cbsnap

Last Visited: 15:24
13th Jan 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.16hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
Winterhighland (and Highland Instinct) were and are significant "persuaders" for us to travel from the Midlands to the Scottish Ski resorts.

Visits to CairnGorm have often been pretty grim, and because of these experiences we just dont go there, and we inform others of our experiences.

Is there no police involvement?

From the SSC response, I can only conclude that the SSC membership consists of Home Counties middle aged, middle management.

veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.28hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
Utterly disgusting behaviour from HIE, CML and NR. I have avoided handing this shower of eejits any of by dosh for a while now, and shall seek to continue!

The skiing there is pretty sh1te vs Nevis Range, Glenshee and Glencoe anyway, the fact that they appear to actually hate their punters makes it even worse.

When is the mass ascent from the tourers happening?! If we can muster up a decent number of folk then we can consume a good number of spots in the car park, and then march up the middle of all their pistes and ski the freshly pisted slopes on the way back ;-)

What a shower of arseholes...!

Nigel

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 15.42hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
National Day of Rage.?

Hmmm.....

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.00hrs on Wed 29 Nov 17
What a stupid move from CML & NR.

I know they have always favoured F.U. over P.R. but his is a new low.

growwild

Date Posted: 02.52hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
HTH Wrote:
National Day of Rage.?

Hmmm.....

Sweeet, I'll broadcast the purge live fae the cairngorms that day. By 00.16 hours on the day of rage I'll have seized control of the bbc - I'll be known as MR Occupier...

There was a bit of 'art' up Glencoe a few years ago showing what cairngorms looks like on its knees, I'll find it and if big Al' has no objections I'll change Glencoe tae all the resorts and stick em up for folk tae use for educational use on their narcissist unsociable media hangoots etc smiling smiley

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.50hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
why is coverage and reporting on cairngorm still continuing on this site?...a boycott of information, pictures and links is surely a step to show their own PR efforts are much less effective than they think and this site helps them and their business (and of course all the local business who can benefit from skiing)

we should be promoting only those resorts who fit in with our values, NR do not fit in with those values IMHO and increasing the customers for the other resorts will have a positive effect on scottish skiing

CML will still have its own site for those with no other real options

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.12hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
flugeryl Wrote:
why is coverage and reporting on cairngorm still continuing on this site?...a boycott of information, pictures and links is surely a step to show their own PR efforts are much less effective than they think and this site helps them and their business (and of course all the local business who can benefit from skiing)

we should be promoting only those resorts who fit in with our values, NR do not fit in with those values IMHO and increasing the customers for the other resorts will have a positive effect on scottish skiing

CML will still have its own site for those with no other real options

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

TBH, I agree. Sack them off and let them do their own thing. The search term "Cairgnorm Webcams" has WH site as 4th spot, with CMLs site being top hit. HArd to say how much revenue the terms/cams bring to the site as only Alan/WH owners will know that. Id have the cams moved to somewhere/location that appreciates them and has the customers interests at heart.

Lets face it....CML webcams constantly look like they are part of a constant whiteout the images are that poor quality.

swavis

Last Visited: 13:46
24th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.00hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
Cairngorm is now only a touring destination for me, I will never spend another penny up the hill while the current lot are in charge...

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.02hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
flugeryl Wrote:
why is coverage and reporting on cairngorm still continuing on this site?

+1 for this, although i'd keep the cg page just replace the info with a statement about why it's gone and link to the community trust pages smiling smiley

i'm lucky that it's easier to boycott CG than to go, but it's a shame as aviemore/gorm used to make for a fun destination for a few days of late season sunny sliding.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 15.19hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
why is coverage and reporting on cairngorm still continuing on this site?

There are 2 important principals here...

1) Natural Retreats attempting to bully Winterhighland / Scottish Ski Club.
2) Impartial ski reporting by independent websites.

Therefore if you want to really annoy Natural Retreats then best thing to do is to keep reporting on Snow conditions at Cairngorm,

What they really despise is that this website likely gets more traffic than their own. I have used winterhighland and as source of Scottish ski reports since circa 1996. Stopping reports for one area is exactly what they hope to achieve as it would diminish the resource.

For various reasons people will still ski at Cairngorm even with Natural Retreats in charge. However the more punters that are directed to this website the better winking smiley

Don't give into the bullies...

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15.56hrs Thu 30 Nov 17 by Doug_Bryce.

growwild

Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17
Err, lets annoy and stand up to bullies by sending cash their way?

Nae wonder Glasgow runs the east coast wi that attitude tongue sticking out smiley

Continuing to support and direct customers tae them will only prop them up..

From cainrgoms page here - "The report below is not updating because CML are not participating in the shared national reporting system." All sounds a bit like - "It's my baw, my game" sorta shit....

Screw the tramps, fill their car parks with tourers and direct the cash to the other resorts.

HTH

Last Visited: 11:13
20th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 17.19hrs on Thu 30 Nov 17

Good points Doug.

Keep reporting because that is precisely what they seek to control. So keep this Indy website running. Across ALL slopes.

If you stay on the pitch, you are still in the game. It could yet be a case of last man standing.

Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:6 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: