You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:3 of 14
Jambo

Last Visited: 13:18
10th May 2018
Re: Glenshee Snow 2018
Date Posted: 14.14hrs on Fri 26 Jan 18
Does anyone have any idea on how the Coire Fionn/Glas Maol area is looking? I'm always surprised how long it takes to get these bits open each year.
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 15.44hrs on Fri 26 Jan 18
Jambo Wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on how the Coire Fionn/Glas Maol area is looking? I'm always surprised how long it takes to get these bits open each year.

No but did see a piste basher up the top of Glas Maol last Saturday. Also saw it on Caenlochan and it's ready but Cluny and Tom Dearg aren't sad smiley
harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 15.31hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
Was up today for a look.
20 cars if that. Hope the snow comes soon with feb round the corner.
i cant see how a company can survive on perhaps 15 ski days in the last 24 months?
If anyone knows the answer please tell.
harley

13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 15.32hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
It must be heartbreaking for staff, ski hires, ski schools etc.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.47hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
harley Wrote:
It must be heartbreaking for staff, ski hires, ski schools etc.

Feast and (more increasingly) famine are part and parcel of winter sports in the Highlands.

Pretty sure these guys are made of sterner stuff.
WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.56hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
harley Wrote:
Was up today for a look.
i cant see how a company can survive on perhaps 15 ski days in the last 24 months?

they won't.

If our winters continue to get milder (and all the evidence is that they will) then winter sports as a commercial activity will continue to dwindle.

Slopes above 3000 feet will be the last men standing.

I've read reports on the future of skiing in the Highlands (quite old reports) that have said bluntly that the ski season will soon become viable only above 3000 feet, possibly 3500 feet. There's not a lot of land up there.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.58hrs Sat 27 Jan 18 by WeeSam.
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 17.36hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
In all fairness, so far they haven't had the snowfall compared with the West, which has got an excellent base to last well into the season, the problem this season so far is the lack of the snow, while certainly its been on the cold side for most of the time, Just hoping Glenshee will get a good dump soon.
ML

Date Posted: 19.56hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
I also have the feeling that the Shee doesn't use / use enough of the snow guns they have.. Or is it me?
harley

13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 20.40hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
kammy Wrote:
In all fairness, so far they haven't had the snowfall compared with the West, which has got an excellent base to last well into the season, the problem this season so far is the lack of the snow, while certainly its been on the cold side
for most of the time, Just hoping Glenshee will get a good dump soon.

Take that on board. However, the clock is ticking.
Lets hope they get the snow for mid term hols.
If not i fear the worst.
One guy i was speaking to today said if they don,t get the snow, the ski hire he works for will be selling the building or will try and get planning for a couple of houses.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
yeah, too warm has not really been the problem this year, just a lot of the snow's fallen elsewhere (and where it goes mostly unappreciated and unridden at that!). hopefully it'll come good though, glenshee deserve to have their efforts and investment rewarded.

c'mon snow gods, bring it!
chrisski

Date Posted: 21.52hrs on Sat 27 Jan 18
WeeSam Wrote:
harley Wrote:
Was up today for a look.

they won't.

If our winters continue to get milder (and all the evidence is that they will) then winter sports as a commercial activity will continue to dwindle.

I've read reports on the future of skiing in the Highlands (quite old reports) that have said bluntly that the ski season will soon become viable only above 3000 feet, possibly 3500 feet. There's not a lot of land up there.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.58hrs Sat 27 Jan 18 by WeeSam.[/blockquote

Summer developments will grow and they will survive.
Crofty

Last Visited: 14:59
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.21hrs on Sun 28 Jan 18
I rarely post on here but i am an avid reader of the forum. I have skied at Glenshee all my adult life, my first visit being in 1966. I have been a season ticket holder off and on during that time. I have worked at Glenshee as a liftie full time and at other periods weekends. One thing I have always felt Glenshee should develop is a strong summer business based on uplift served mountain biking with perhaps sales, accomodation etc included . When i see the way Nevis Range and to a latter extent Glencoe have and are developing I am convinced this is the way forward.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Sun 28 Jan 18
WeeSam Wrote:

Did the report account for the use of snowmaking or was it based on continuing operations in there current form? There's plenty of skiing in areas more marginal than the Highlands that are operating successfully with extensive snowmaking. I've posted this before, but look up Winterberg in the German Sauerland. NW Germany with a summit altitude of ~ 850m, but 21/26 lifts open right now. Many of those lifts are 4, 6 or 8 man chairs, so we're not talking about somewhere that's only just getting by.

That doesn't mean that things won't become more difficult if the current trend continues, but there is still much that can be done if the support to do it is there.
WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.03hrs on Sun 28 Jan 18
"There's plenty of skiing in areas more marginal than the Highlands that are operating successfully with extensive snowmaking"

I'm sure there are, but is Winterberg one of them? It would be interesting to compare Winterburg's snowfall and average winter maximum temperatures with Glenshee's.

I also agree that much can be done if the support to do it is there. But I really do not think the support is there. I've bemoaned the generally poor state of our hospitality and tourism industry in this country (both attitudes and practicalities) and it's not really worth repeating. But I just don't see the will to create the sort of infrastructure you see at Winterburg (for example) in the Highlands. If such a programme was to take place, it would surely only happen at Cairngorm, the most snow sure place in the country. Let's face it, if you were completely impartial, and it was your millions you had to spend, it would be there, and it would be at as high an elevation as possible. But look at what is happening there, it is going backwards...
WeeSam

5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Sun 28 Jan 18
[www.yr.no]

[www.yr.no]

seems Winterburg is generally about 3°C cooler than Breamar, which is not insignificant (if accurate). What's the difference between Breamar and the base station at Glenshee?

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15.58hrs Sun 28 Jan 18 by WeeSam.
Current Page:3 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: