You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:8 of 14
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Glenshee Snow 2018
Date Posted: 21.12hrs on Sun 4 Mar 18
That’s clever. A Glenshee ‘telemix’. smiling smiley
Owen

Last Visited: 11:05
12th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.37hrs on Sun 4 Mar 18
I just thought it was to accommodate single skiers.

Isn't it easier to ride a T-bar with two people on it rather than trying to balance it on your own?
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 22.40hrs on Sun 4 Mar 18
It has another unique feature. It's operated by the most patronising liftie in the world.
dajossa

Last Visited: 09:33
15th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 23.56hrs on Sun 4 Mar 18
He was / is a bell-end.
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 07.18hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
tim1mw Wrote:
Public report posted for 4th march, with pictures.

On a separate note, I was intrigued to note two things today I was previously unaware of. Firstly, a permanent rope tow is being put in across the top of Sunnyside from the top of the chair to the Cluny lifts, it looks like all it needs is a rope in order to become operational. Did I miss that being mentioned here before?

Secondly the Carn Aosda tow is now running with a mix of T-bars and Buttons, not something I've seen before but a welcome change for me since I find T-bars painful to ride, especially in a pair. It's been years since I last saw this lift running on one of my visits, so it might have been like this for a while, but I'm intrigued to know if this was done to help lift users who don't like T-bars or if it's a way of limiting the strain on the drive mechanism which isn't as young as it used to be!

The rope tow has been there for a bit, did post something about it a couple of weeks ago in the public reports

The situation with Cárn Aosda is a weird one, don't exactly know what is going on but they also did it with Meall Odhar T-bar a few years back one example is Monday 8th Mar 2010- back then it loooked like all buttons

Link here- Monday 8th Mar 2010
[www.winterhighland.info]
tim1mw

Date Posted: 17.54hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
PeterS: I like that description, I might have to pinch it!

Skicadets: I remember the change to the Meall Odhar T-bar in 2010, it was all buttons, so there was no mix. I think that was the last time it ran and that was only because the Caenlochan was out of action for the season.

Owen: Personally I find it a lot easier on my own, sharing is actively painful for me and I don't have any trouble balancing on the bar as a single.

I was up again today, all main lifts except Glas Maol ran. The Caenlochan started up after lunch. I gather from a conversation in the lift queue that the old gearbox has been "reconditioned" and put back on, but they aren't certain how long it will last. There was a long pause shortly after it started due to a problem on one of the pylons. Gearbox not withstanding, it's looking a lot better than it used to with all the new (or refurbished?) pylons.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.38hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Cairn Aosda was always a bastard on a Snowboard. Due to its camber it kept dragging boarders downhill below the pylons. I wondered if they did that to make it a bit easier for them? I'm not a (good) boarder so cant really comment.

I forgot about that rope tow. I wonder if they've not figured out a power supply for it yet.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 22.06hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
If boarders are the reason for buttons on Carn Aosda, a big thankyou to our boarding friends from me!

Your power theory could well be right, the generators are at the bottom of Sunnyside and Caenlochan. I'm not sure which of those powers the lifts in the lower part of the centre valley, if it's the Caenlochan one, then they need to run a new power line, if it's Sunnyside, then they need to cut into the powerline that goes over the top, assuming it goes that way.

On a side note, I'm sure there was once a separate generator in the lower part of the centre valley, if my memory isn't failing then that implies that there was some consolidation at some point.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.43hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
No, as a decent enough boarder those buttons are the worst. Tbars at least give some leverage. The CA tow on a button is easily the worst uplift experience I've ever had. Glad it works for others though.

tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.10hrs on Tue 6 Mar 18
remote_patrol: Fair enough! At least with the Glenshee Telemix we all have a choice. If it wasn't soon to be replaced with a quad chair, I'd write to the management and ask for the Cairnwell T-bar to be given the same treatment.

I had a short ski today, but packed it in after lunch, the conditions were pretty brutal with very high winds and poor visibility. Only a few lifts were running, Bucharts Access (for the blue run only), Baddoch, Claybookie, Plastic, Dink Dink and one Sunnyside Poma. Tom Dearg was going during the morning but had stopped when I passed it later on, not sure it it came back on again. The ticket price was reduced to £24 due to the limited uplift. The snow on the runs that were open was excellent and very pleasant to ski.

I've not got any pictures worth posting, so won't bother with a public report today.
BoardWorkin

Last Visited: 20:19
6th Mar 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Tue 6 Mar 18
I'm with RP, the new CA tow buttons are really horrible for me (boarder), the T bars are bad (due to camber/ side slope) but at least you can pair up with a skier or use T to give you more angle to fight the side slope. Buttons are just horrible, especially when a W/ NW wind direction.

Sorry tim1mw, and I might be on my own here! but I really don't mind the cairnwell T. It's a nice uphill, no side slopes, and a fairly fast T. Would much prefer a chair over to Corrie Fionn or up CA - Maybe next on the GS wish list? smiling smiley
Fazbadge

Last Visited: 11:44
21st Jan 2021
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Tue 6 Mar 18
A piste from the saddle between the tiger and cairnwell would be logical
tim1mw

Date Posted: 22.45hrs on Wed 7 Mar 18
Chairs for access to Corrie Fionn and Carn Aosda were on my fantasy GS plan, I figured a rope tow for the rise at the top of the bowl to the top of the T-bar would allow the existing Cairnwell chair to provide better access to the race track runs without replacing the T-bar. However a race track chair is what were getting and i'm pretty happy with that.

Fazbadge: There's two red's marked on the map in that area, but i've never seen them formally marked out and never pisted. I think there used to be a proper fenced line following at least part of the old Tiger tow, but i'd have to look at my old pictures to be certain of that, it might have just been on one side for the tow up track.

I was up again today, my last day of this trip but i'm back in Scotland at the end of March for a conference so am likely to have my skis with me. The wind was much reduced, but the visibility was poor for much of the day, it was ok first thing and sort of cleared about 2.30pm till 4pm. All main lifts except Glas Maol ran. Glas Maol was scheduled, the liftie told me that there had been an avalanche and they couldn't properly assess it until the visibility improved. There was a lot of activity around the base of the lift for much of the day and piste bashers were working on the up track.
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.12hrs on Sun 11 Mar 18
Couple of drone 360's from a bluebird Glenshee today

[photos.app.goo.gl]

Rest of Pics here: [photos.veletron.com]

Public report here: [www.winterhighland.info]

Nigel

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.19hrs Sun 11 Mar 18 by veletron.
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.58hrs on Sun 11 Mar 18
Superb 360 panos Nigel, gives a great sense of the conditions as I head up tomorrow! smiling smiley
Current Page:8 of 14
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: