You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
walydug

Last Visited: 19:12
5th Jun 2019
Are speed riders a menace?
Date Posted: 15.49hrs on Thu 18 Jan 18
Personally, I've felt menaced by them scooting over my head when on-piste. We all make mistakes. Disaster looms!
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Re: Are speed riders a menace?
Date Posted: 17.34hrs on Thu 18 Jan 18
Are you talking about glencoe?

Just seen a video on Facebook of people flying between punters on the pistes at glencoe. Bit of a selfish act if you ask me.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.53hrs on Fri 19 Jan 18
There was one or 2 when we were up thurs/friday, but I guess as long as the skier downhill has right of way is adhered to....I couldnt really care how fast people go down the slopes. Granted its a bit silly doing it down middle of a green slope where theres plenty of beginners who may not be fully comfortable with quick turns out the way if they see someone coming down piste fast.
BennDavie

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 17.48hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
NO!! Definately not . I have bleeding haemorhoids , now they are a real menace..

But in the land of "do what your told" where fear pervades every aspect of peoples mundane pointless existances. ..blahblahblah.

Pernonally I think whining bitches are a bigger menace.

THIS land IS OUR land.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
Never had a problem with speed riders or paragliders at Glencoe. Common sense seems to rule and as long as they stay clear of the lift lines and runs we welcome them.

Cmartindale, would love to see the video you speak of if you have a link. Cheers.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
There were a couple a few weeks ago at Glencoe heading down Etive Glades ahead of me. I couldn't see anyone riding ahead of them so they seemed to be behaving reasonably. I might think otherwise if they were coming down a run behind me, with skis at head height of course... ulp.
Gogsyboy

Last Visited: 11:11
4th May 2019
Date Posted: 06.56hrs on Fri 2 Feb 18
Guided missiles in capable and sensible hands are fine when things don't go wrong! It will go very wrong at some point if they share the pistes. Sorry, just common sense. It won't be long before they're outlawed, or confined to a dedicated area. I'm not against them, would love a shot, too old though.
bo-by

Last Visited: 15:45
27th Feb 2018
Date Posted: 09.21hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
Legislation? Heaven forbid anyone being responsible for their actions.
WeeSam

Last Visited: 00:53
5th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.32hrs on Mon 5 Feb 18
BennDavie Wrote:

THIS land IS OUR land.

exactly,

When something is "OURS", we share it; and that doesn't mean doing what you want where you want, whenever you want.
growwild

Date Posted: 03.00hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Wtf is a speed rider anyway?

If anyone knows the required speed needed to vaporise at least 3 skiers when they do the congo lemme know, that'll take some serious math skills...

Actually now that I'm extremely freaking stoned I think big fecking shark hooks on the feet of paragliders would be cool tae see. Give em ski patrol jackets and let them swoop down and take the snakes head out the game everytime the posh tadgers thinks they'll take over the run.. They'll soon stop and the hooks can then be used for the glow in the dark aw the gear nae fecking idea types!!

I need another fatty tae chill out now, one a can smoke!!

Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: