You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
roscoeh

Last Visited: 23:23
24th Mar 2018
Do Scottish ski areas need to understand what their breaking point is?
Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Sat 20 Jan 18
To me it seems like in the West even if the car parks are full like today, which is fairly uncommon, they can still comfortably cope with the traffic and have minimal queuing times.

However do Cairngorm and Glenshee need to understand what their maximum upflift capacity is and stop selling tickets?

Cairngorm just seem to keep selling tickets regardless of the fact that the uplift cannot support the numbers. I think if the top car park is full then the sign should go up at the bottom. They can be as greedy like if they invested back in the lift system, but they still want to sell the same number of tickets as 5 years ago regardless of the fact that that the west wall is pretty erratic and one of the main lifts the Core Cas is not working.

Similarly for Glenshee, they need to do a calculation and workout the uplift Capacity and set a cap on the tickets. Especially when they only have the roadside lifts open.

Definitely getting to the point were my 12 or so days in Scotland are going to become a week in Austria.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.06hrs Sat 20 Jan 18 by roscoeh.
Jambo

Last Visited: 13:18
10th May 2018
Re: Do Scottish ski areas need to understand what their breaking point is?
Date Posted: 22.09hrs on Sat 20 Jan 18
They're between a rock and a hard place on this one.

What you suggest would obviously be best for those who arrive early (like yourself I imagine). But rather less good for the people who drive for 3/4/5/6 hrs and then get turned away! And the resorts need the cash generally.

Only solution IMO is - as you've pointed out - to invest in the uplift!
veletron

Last Visited: 14:46
1st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.43hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
As long as folks are advised beforehand that there will be a numbers cut-off and they will need to be on site by 9am I see no issue. If you've got a long drive, you'll need to get up earlier. Personally, I would rather pay a bit more and have quieter slopes. Saturday at Glenshee would have been a busy day with the number of punters with all lifts open, with just half the lifts, it was manic.

Nigel
roscoeh

24th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 08.56hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
I think telling people in advance and giving warning on Social media is fine. If you turn up at the cinema and all the tickets have been sold they don't just let you sit in the aisles.

The way they operate now, just means unless you go during the week you are going to have a pretty bad experience of just standing around for hours.
hstn747

Last Visited: 11:28
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
Best way to avoid disappointment is to sell parking spaces online in advance.

Season pass holders get first dibs and people buying 3+ lift tickets get the parking space for free. That would encourage ride sharing. It would also be apparent that folk should plan to head somewhere else if they can see the carpark is already booked out.

Could also instigate a snowsock/chain only policy when snow is hitting. Booking a parking space could include provision of snow chains which the parking charge would fund.

I understand that online systems are tricky & expensive to set up. The fee would help cover those costs. It doesn't have to be a money maker just a good way of rationing the parking spots and ensuring more good experiences.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 11.32hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
Tiger chair at glenshee is beginning to make a huge difference for days like these, the new Cairnwell quad will do the same next year. So they are trying. And big investments like these need big capital that largely comes from these full car park weekends. So yeah, it’s a catch 22 really.
roscoeh

24th Mar 2018
Date Posted: 14.57hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
I don't doubt Glenshee do a great job, however I would rather see £40 adult day tickets at the weekends rather than 20-30 minute queues.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 15.58hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
It's mostly a problem when it's snowy in the central belt (guilty), weekends can be fine otherwise.

For my own part these days I'll try to get a day off work and go in the week if I possibly can, or just go touring instead.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.59hrs Sun 21 Jan 18 by Beastie.
Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 18.16hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
it's nearly always the same every year...first good weekend and it's carnage. I didn't go near any slopes yesterday as it was clear it was going to be mega busy. Where are all these people in March when conditons are often better?.
jas

Last Visited: 21:23
30th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 20.07hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
Had a great day at Glenshee yesterday, barley queued from 8:45 until 11:00, 5 laps of ride straight on cairnwell t bar then onto the cairnwell tripple. What a great lift high capacity and quick, any que was fast with lifty making people go in 3`s. Also staff doubling up people on t bars. There should be a rule that any snowboard who cant go in pairs on t bars shouldn't ride them.
So it was great at Glenshee yesterday
Jambo

10th May 2018
Date Posted: 20.28hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
hstn747 Wrote:
Best way to avoid disappointment is to sell parking spaces online in advance.

Season pass holders get first dibs and people buying 3+ lift tickets get the parking space for free. That would encourage ride sharing. It would also be apparent that folk should plan to head somewhere else if they can see the carpark is already booked out.

Not a bad idea! Although the argument of how many days per decade this is actually an issue does come to mind.

hstn747 Wrote:
Could also instigate a snowsock/chain only policy when snow is hitting. Booking a parking space could include provision of snow chains which the parking charge would fund.

I don't have much experience with chains but I believe a given set fits a narrow
range of tyre sizes? In that case not practical to hire them out probably (if I'm understanding you correctly?).
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.34hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
Also noticed two lifties per tbar with one organising pairs and calling for singles. Agreed cairnwell triple munched queues, will be awesome when the new one goes in.

I think convincing folk the snows still there once it melts in the central belt is the key though. Even here in Blairgowrie where a pretty good percentage of locals ski and board some folk are amazed you can go riding in March. Sort that out and the big peaks would reduce dramatically as people wouldn't think this was their only chance.
ipod7584

Last Visited: 20:09
9th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.51hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
jas Wrote:
Had a great day at Glenshee yesterday, barley queued from 8:45 until 11:00, 5 laps of ride straight on cairnwell t bar then onto the cairnwell tripple. What a great lift high capacity and quick, any que was fast with lifty making people go in 3`s. Also staff doubling up people on t bars. There should be a rule that any snowboard who cant go in pairs on t bars shouldn't ride them.
So it was great at Glenshee yesterday

I'm susprised nobody has picked you up on that one yet! Assume you would also agree if they did'nt let skiers use t-bars who can't go in pairs,lol. Boarders often feel safer taking a lift on their own until they build up confidence. Its a lot harder to use these lifts with a Snowboard.
Jambo

10th May 2018
Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Sun 21 Jan 18
ipod7584 Wrote:
Assume you would also agree if they did'nt let skiers use t-bars who can't go in pairs,lol.

Christ, yes, if a skier can't go on a t-bar in a pair they should just be put down!

And it's not exactly rocket science on a board either, in fact sharing with a skier helps.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.19hrs Sun 21 Jan 18 by Jambo.
KW

Last Visited: 16:09
22nd Jan 2018
Date Posted: 09.43hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
Really?

How does a boarder or skier learn to go 2 up on a T without trying it?

We all know that some of the tows are 'snatchier' than others and that it's mostly those ones which lie in wait for the beginners.

If the lifty can see it's not going to happen because of total ineptitude, tiredness or maybe the effect of a liquid lunch a quiet word (to try this lift another day) should work in most cases.

I've been knocked off T bars sharing them with unknowns who were not confident. Jings,when I was starting out I was the one who caused the wobble.

We were all beginners once. A bit of understanding is all that's required.

If you get annoyed at those who don't want to double up it's easier to chill about it if we understand that their time is valuable and they don't want to get pumped to the rear of a long queue because a novice might knock them off.

Of course there are the monosyllabic/grumpy nuggets. They just don't like people. Why inflict their negativity on another by forcing someone to share with them?

Equally, if a novice doesn't want to share for fear of causing an upset life is easier if we understand that.

There is also the completely radical option of accepting the notion that ski areas are commercial ventures and the operators will try and make money. So, when the weather's good, the snow's great, it's the weekend and it's busy because other people want to do the same thing as you there should be no surprises.

Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: