You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Re: Do Scottish ski areas need to understand what their breaking point is?
Date Posted: 10.52hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
Glenshee are doing all they can to restore uplift capacity to what it once was. To do this, they need vast amounts of cash. I genuinely believe they were caught out at the weekend as only 11 lifts would put most of us off.

Frustrating for those in the queues but at least we know the money will be put to use in increasing capacity. Of course, if they had left the original lifts in situ until the replacements were installed...

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.53hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
There need's to be a lot more investment in uplift but I don't think that will come with the current model. Maybe ski centres could issue shares or something similar to bring in the investment.

I wasn't skiing this weekend but wished I was touring as the queues looked horrendous.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.25hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
oversteer Wrote:
Of course, if they had left the original lifts in situ until the replacements were installed...

Don't follow you? Cairnwell chair was an instant swap pretty much. Cairnwell t is still there.

What did they remove without replacement? (that would have made any difference at the weekend?)
BoardWorkin

Last Visited: 20:19
6th Mar 2018
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
[]remote_patrol Wrote:
Also noticed two lifties per tbar with one organising pairs and calling for singles. Agreed cairnwell triple munched queues, will be awesome when the new one goes in.

I think convincing folk the snows still there once it melts in the central belt is the key though. Even here in Blairgowrie where a pretty good percentage of locals ski and board some folk are amazed you can go riding in March. Sort that out and the big peaks would reduce dramatically as people wouldn't think this was their only chance.

Spot on, winter is the ski season though unfortunately in most people's minds. If the centres could keep some core lifts open from early Jan, through snow making/storing or even tactical dry slopes/uplift sections, they'd be more reliably open - and less prone to manic weekend syndrome maybe. Folk will turn up even if it is for a small(er) number of runs open, the investment opportunity is definitely there.

Totally agree that Glenshee's policy of upgrading core lift capacity is (and will) make a big difference, but also think it would improve things even more if they could guarantee some slopes being open(from say Jan 1st to mid/end Feb), even if it is just a few lifts. This, coupled with a more extensive terrain, when the snow dances work, could really boost customer numbers & return custom.

Maybe Crowd funding: offering equity, season tickets, lessons, experiences, or a number of day tickets in return for an investment, would have a fairly good chance of getting a reasonable sum of cash for investing in the centre?
TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.31hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
I ski and would happily double up with ANY skier or snowboarder. I have yet to be knocked off a t-bar by a novice. Often I'll say to someone who is struggling, "Do you want to double up? I promise it will be easier." They usually take a lot of convincing, and are then amazed.

Doubling up on a board with a total novice boarder is harder, and I wouldn't be as confident, but IMO there is no excuse not to buddy up with a skier who can deliver you to the top of the lift.

As for skiers who do not want to double up? Do they have 2 lift tickets? If not, bolt...
tim1mw

Date Posted: 21.05hrs on Mon 22 Jan 18
Differential pricing for weekends and weekdays to try and smooth out the crowds would help.

There is some justification to capping ticket sales, especially if all the lifts aren't running and everything has a significant queue, but then you run the risk of angering late comers, it's debatable which is the worst option there. Encouraging online ticket sales would help a lot, while making it clear that ticket sales will be suspended at a certain level.

That said, with the full area open, I've seen long queues for Glas Maol, while the Corrie Fionn drags will have very few people on them. So part of the problem is the usage pattern, if people really want to stand in a long queue for a particular lift when others have a short queue, there's not much you can do about that. In the long term, you upgrade the capacity for those lifts, at GS that is happening.
chrisski

Date Posted: 19.17hrs on Tue 23 Jan 18
KW Wrote:
Really?

How does a boarder or skier learn to go 2 up on a T without trying it?

We all know that some of the tows are 'snatchier' than others and that it's mostly those ones which lie in wait for the beginners.

If the lifty can see it's not going to happen because of total ineptitude, tiredness or maybe the effect of a liquid lunch a quiet word (to try this lift another day) should work in most cases.

I've been knocked off T bars sharing them with unknowns who were not confident. Jings,when I was starting out I was the one who caused the wobble.

We were all beginners once. A bit of understanding is all that's required.

If you get annoyed at those who don't want to double up it's easier to chill about it if we understand that their time is valuable and they don't want to get pumped to the rear of a long queue because a novice might knock them off.

Of course there are the monosyllabic/grumpy nuggets. They just don't like people. Why inflict their negativity on another by forcing someone to share with them?

Equally, if a novice doesn't want to share for fear of causing an upset life is easier if we understand that.

There is also the completely radical option of accepting the notion that ski areas are commercial ventures and the operators will try and make money. So, when the weather's good, the snow's great, it's the weekend and it's busy because other people want to do the same thing as you there should be no surprises.

Ive been skiing for nearly 40yrs and i cant sgand t bars! Wish they would just get rid and replace them!
I do think some understanding should be taken if someone goes up alone
tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.53hrs on Tue 23 Jan 18
chrisski Wrote:
Ive been skiing for nearly 40yrs and i cant sgand t bars! Wish they would just get rid and replace them!
I do think some understanding should be taken if someone goes up alone

Seconded, sharing a T-Bar causes me a lot of pain in my knees, there's something about the angle I have to hold my legs at aggravates an old injury. I will share if the queue is long, but usually just avoid T-Bars when I can. I'm looking forward to seeing the back of the Cairnwell T-Bar when it's replaced.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.02hrs on Tue 23 Jan 18
Not exactly easy sharing a T-bar when the terrain is all over aswell with half the track full of drifts or dropping away. Sometimes it really is easier yourself.
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: