You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
SussexSnow

Last Visited: 06:43
18th Apr 2019
Piste usage map
Date Posted: 13.05hrs on Tue 30 Jan 18
The row about Strava heat maps reminded me to check the Scottish ski resorts on the map. Some interest8ng usage patterns, where people ski on the ‘piste’ and how far off. For example how far out East people ski at the Flypaper.

[labs.strava.com]
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: Piste usage map
Date Posted: 13.59hrs on Tue 30 Jan 18
Something which immediately strikes me from that is the fact the overwhelming majority of people doing the Spring Run continue down to the mid or Plateau lifts rather than cut back to the top tows.

Coire Pollach shifting people from the Poma and Cliffhanger Chair may have increased that usage pattern and I suspect it will increase further with the new Plateau Triple.

Which throws up some interesting things to consider about potential future lift upgrades / replacements. What would be the balance between capacity and usability of a single chairlift from the Plateau Cafe to the Summit, vs days where wind would allow the Access Chair and Wall T-bar to run but not a modern chair to the top? What would be the numbers actually out skiing on such a day that a chair could not run anyway and how many days is the wind worse at the Access Chair level than in the Main Basin?
Mike_w

Last Visited: 06:19
12th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 14.11hrs on Tue 30 Jan 18
Interesting stuff.

I wonder if "winter activities" includes winter walking as well?

Mike in Edinburgh
Assorted scottish pics - www.prog99.com
ML

Date Posted: 14.44hrs on Tue 30 Jan 18
Alan, would a lift from the top of the triple to the summit be possible? or is it to exposed/steep?
Jambo

Last Visited: 13:18
10th May 2018
Date Posted: 16.09hrs on Wed 31 Jan 18
There goes my productivity for the day...

Seriously though thanks for sharing, fascinating stuff.
oldagedpredator

Last Visited: 18:17
19th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Wed 31 Jan 18
Yep, appeals to my inner map nerd. Nice to see the Club Fields and where people do and don't go. Lot of lines back from Raise.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.20hrs on Thu 1 Feb 18
I got very confused by the location of the East Ridge on that map, until I realised it actually runs more South East than East. Not many traces down there. I thought there would be more.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: