You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
superman

Last Visited: 21:31
16th May 2018
Should Braveheart be moved to the front of the hill?
Date Posted: 18.20hrs on Wed 7 Feb 18
I think Braveheart should be moved to the front of the hill, it's a waste of a good chairlift where it is. I think it should run along side the goose T-bar to give extra uplift to the summit

1873Chris

Last Visited: 09:19
15th Apr 2019
Re: Should Braveheart be moved to the front of the hill?
Date Posted: 18.56hrs on Wed 7 Feb 18
And leave all that great powder in the backs for tourers?

It's the best positioned lift in Scotland where it is
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.41hrs on Wed 7 Feb 18
superman Wrote:
I think Braveheart should be moved to the front of the hill, it's a waste of a good chairlift where it is. I think it should run along side the goose T-bar to give extra uplift to the summit

The answer simply is to replace and move the old one elsewhere.
superman

Last Visited: 21:31
16th May 2018
Date Posted: 20.55hrs on Wed 7 Feb 18
Skicadets Wrote:
superman Wrote:

The answer simply is to replace and move the old one elsewhere.

What?
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.59hrs on Wed 7 Feb 18
By it's very nature of where it is, the terrain it is for*, it's remoteness from the rest of the lift served area all means it's always primarily going to be more of a spring lift, than one for the short days of earlier in the season. This isn't anything new. The only month I've personally used the Braveheart Chair on 3 consecutive days is May.

The Goose T-bar is pretty high capacity and not that frequently a big bottle neck, on the other hand the Summit Tow is grossly inadequate in terms of uplift capacity. Doubling it up or converting to a T-bar would be a higher priority than increasing capacity between the Quad Chair and the Summit (doing the later first would only serve to make the Summit even more of a bottleneck).

To really change the situation with the Braveheart, you'd have to be looking at directly lifting the headwall of Coire Dubh and the exposure to prevailing winds funneling over Climbers Col and avalanche risk on the headwall present some fairly formidable challenges. Perhaps the most intractable challenge would be overcoming objections to the visual impact from such a lift's significant breakover tower structures required on the skyline of Lemming Ridge.

* = which while it directly serves some fun runs, it's main purpose is to make much longer runs from the summit around the various Back Corries lift served by allowing lift egress to a height where the front lifts can be reached.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.01hrs Wed 7 Feb 18 by alan.
growwild

Date Posted: 02.41hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Feck the wind and objections tae towers, a tunnel would sort it oot!
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 09.22hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Whenever i look at Braveheart i think the ski area is looks half finished. Am i right in thinking more lifts were planned for the back but they ran out of money?
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.25hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
This is more the kind of thing they would do at Cairngorm, take away lift service from the interesting terrain to give the cake hunters a better view of Ben Nevis.

Stage 2 they could build a big restaurant and art gallery at the summit.
Stage 3, replace the Quad and Braveheart with a funicular.

cmorrison

21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.26hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Given the Braveheart breaks down every 15 minutes I can also imagine the complaints they would get if they moved it to the front side of the mountain!
cmorrison

21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.41hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
awrightski Wrote:
Whenever i look at Braveheart i think the ski area is looks half finished. Am i right in thinking more lifts were planned for the back but they ran out of money?

See here:
[www.winterhighland.info]
and
[www.winterhighland.info]

Whatever happened to Jamie and Highland Instinct? His history of ski development in Scotland was really interesting.
awrightski

2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.24hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
cmorrison Wrote:
awrightski Wrote:

See here:

and

Whatever happened to Jamie and Highland Instinct? His history of ski development in Scotland was really interesting.

Thanks pal.
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.48hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Jamie is still around - on British Backcountry facebook for example
when isnt on a survey ship or repairing Bothies
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 13.27hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
Should Braveheart be moved to the front of the hill?

Actually it is the other way round...
Gondola, Goose T-Bar and Quad should be moved to back of the hill winking smiley
We get much of our snow in Scotland on Westerly winds.
Therefore side of the hill holds the snow much better / longer.

FWIW : Original plans for Aonach Mor involved a ski area base station near the foot of summit gully. However a road in from Roy Bridge was going to cost too much.

The Braveheart lift is a funny one. Always surprised Nevis Range don't make the most of their biggest asset and run it more often. It is the best off piste in Scotland - so long as you don't mind a 2km traverse between each lap grinning smiley They went through a phase in the late 90s of running Braveheart every weekend - but since then it has been sporadic at best. I even remember them pisting an entry into Winger Wall when they got the first winch-cat.

Having said all that a short skin out keeps the crowds away - so not necessarily a bad thing.

[www.haggistrap.co.uk]

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 13.29hrs Thu 8 Feb 18 by Doug_Bryce.
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.03hrs on Thu 8 Feb 18
^
They need to be doing what they did back then. Someone did post in the nevis snow thread that the need to be able to get a stretcher over the Traverse without hitting any rocks

awrightski

2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 09.22hrs on Fri 9 Feb 18
Skicadets Wrote:
^
They need to be doing what they did back then. Someone did post in the nevis snow thread that the need to be able to get a stretcher over the Traverse without hitting any rocks

shouldnt be too difficult to move some snow around if they really wanted to..
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: