You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
jelly2

Last Visited: 15:15
18th Feb 2021
Is skiing in Scotland on its last legs?
Date Posted: 17.24hrs on Wed 21 Feb 18
Unhelpful Torygraph headline and some dodgy research by the 'Priestley International Centre for Climate at The University of Leeds' which I've never heard of. But overall a pretty positive article about Scottish skiing.

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Re: Is skiing in Scotland on its last legs?
Date Posted: 03.11hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
"the Climate Coalition by the Priestley International Centre for Climate at The University of Leeds, claims that three of Scotland’s main ski resorts are spending more than half their operating budgets on artificial snow factories."

however...

“To the best of our knowledge, no academic or researcher from the Priestley Centre has been in touch with any of Scotland’s five mountain ski resorts,” reads a statement from Ski Scotland and the Association of Scottish Ski Areas (ASSA)"

Flawed from the first paragraph.

Without knowing exactly how much operating costs/budget that each ski area has for the year or their budget for snow sports, its impossible to even compare how much they are outlaying on snow factories.

This season has probably been the best for a good 5 years (at least for as long as I remember in my skiing interest) and the numbers on the hills show it. Would be interesting to see some of the stats for this year once they come out. I know Alan normally keeps track of the number of ski days resorts have.

End of the day, every ski resort is at peril of the weather and it all depends what mood its in as to whether the goods are delivered or not. Like the up-coming 'beast from the east' or the earlier Atlantic driven snow which brought 1metre + snow to the west is all a flip of a coin as to whether the goods are delivered or not.
growwild

Date Posted: 04.26hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
Cannae read it unless someone copies and pastes the lot, last time I accidently clicked on that fecking thing I had a nightmare that I was the secret love child of Maggie and Savile, kept in a cage under the dons palace under the care the DWP doctors and researchers, left there at five all deformed and shit and woke up in the lord mountbattan home for sick kids sad smiley

StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 09.16hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
jelly2 Wrote:
Unhelpful Torygraph headline and some dodgy research by the 'Priestley International Centre for Climate at The University of Leeds' which I've never heard of. But overall a pretty positive article about Scottish skiing.

The Andy and the folk at Ski Scotland stepped the Torygraph through the actual facts about Scottish Skiing, debunking the "scientific climate info" from the Climate Coalition. The CC know they've been called out on their bullshit claims and they've pretty much gone to ground since then.
Skicadets

Last Visited: 11:07
8th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 15.55hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
"Is skiing in Scotland on its last legs?"
No,because if it was we would be continuously having bad seasons like last year. It's just one bad year guys,it's not the end of the world
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
carsey Wrote:
"the Climate Coalition by the Priestley International Centre for Climate at The University of Leeds, claims that three of Scotland’s main ski resorts are spending more than half their operating budgets on artificial snow factories."

Worse than that is they are conflating capital expenditure with operational expenditure. I am quite sure that the snow factories operational expenses don't account for anywhere near half any of the centres operating budgets. Sure a snow factory is expensive, so are new lifts and piste machines. Thing is all these pieces of equipment have long depreciation times, well I am assuming a snow factory would last at least 10 years, so it's no where near as bad as is being painted. I would also add that expensive trains aside there was a long period of under investment in the Scottish centres that is thankfully now being addressed. Well unless you have a silly train in which case you are just wasting more money cutting things down.
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.23hrs on Thu 22 Feb 18
Hopefully Snow-factory would be made a permanent feature at Glencoe, that would ensure early opening and late closing despite whatever weather conditions,

Glenshee should definitely invest in Snow-factory as its mostly very prone to mild south westerly winds, I think Scotland has a very bright future with Glencoe and Glenshee investing in new chairlifts it will attract more skiers and boarders, As a snowboarder myself I love using chairlifts since surface lifts takes a lot of energy out of you.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.52hrs on Fri 23 Feb 18
Looks like this is a case of the desire to get publicity for the "research" centre overtaking thorough report writing. In this case the poor journalism is on the part of the research centre who produced the slightly iffy report (no, it is not research). The report is here:
[climate.leeds.ac.uk]

The "half their operating budgets" figure (page 18) supposedly comes from a Scotsman article from last year:
[www.scotsman.com]

But looking at that article in its current state, there is no mention of this. So perhaps the Scotsman stuck their finger in the air, got caught out by someone within the industry and had to remove that figure? Not before some numpty at this research centre, who should know better than to trust a newspaper article, quoted it as gospel.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: