You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
The best 4x4 by far ?
Date Posted: 09.32hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Of course a Land Rover Disco or a Toyota Land Cruiser with snow tyres is about the best you can have in challenging conditions, but I've been amazed at the performance of my Ford Kuga AWD with snow tyres over the past few days. Precious few big hills where I live in rural Lincolnshire, but the Kuga has taken everything in its stride.It might be just a softroader, but felt very solid and reliable. Really looking forward to taking it up to Glenshee in a couple of weeks time.
Just wondering what other vehicles people are using?
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: The best 4x4 by far ?
Date Posted: 12.03hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Toyota Hilux with 2" suspesnion lift and winter tyres
BMW X1 awd with snow tyres
toyota yaris diesel with snow tyres - but pretty useless in snow, too much torque

Hilux the best, with lots of ground clearance
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.04hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Can we drop this uniformed nonsense that you need a 4x4 to drive in the snow please.

A set of winter tyres on an ordinary vehicle are more than enough for anything up to ~15cm. I have driven off my mothers street in ~20cm in winter tyres but it does need to be soft. I have also at slow speed gone through a ~30cm snow drift, and you could probably push more, but be aware that some cars have their air intakes low down and ingesting a bunch of snow is going to result in a stall.

In my personally experience been stuck behind a 4x4 struggling in the snow 2WD and winter tyres are better. Further given my car (well pretty much everything for that matter) has four wheel breaking then winter tyres are much safer anyway, and we have not included cornering.

To be frankly honest a set of Cross Climates, Vector 4's or similar are all 99.9% of people in Scotland needed in the last week and when they stop being adequate then in the vast majority of cases a 4x4 with winter tyres and snow chains would not help either. I fact given that Cross Climates and similar are on average a better choice period in Scotland it is about time this message was made clear to the general public.

Personally I would like to see as a minimum under a red warning for snow, being out on the road with anything less than s three-peak mountain snowflake (3PMSF) tyre is 3 points on your license and if you are a haulage firm £20k fine. Would have avoided all the problems on the M80 last week.

I actually think this should extend to amber warnings too. Remember you are better off with such a tyre in the first place and they are only like £10 a wheel more expensive than a decent branded tyre anyway. Anyone in Scotland not fitting such a tyre is complete twit for which I have zero sympathy when they get stuck as a result.

Oh and I would make going out on the roads under a red warning for snow without adequate clothing etc. and emergency food and drink supplies a 3 points on your license offense too.

Cars cost a small fortune to run as it is. The extra cost of a set of 3PMSF rated all year tyres is frequently less than my monthly fluctuation in fuel bill due to changing oil prices. Gear up or get off the road.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 14.51hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
^ true : winter or proper 4 season (i.e snowflake 3PMSF rated) tyres thumbs up

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.51hrs Mon 5 Mar 18 by Doug_Bryce.
growwild

Date Posted: 17.41hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Define challenging conditions...

Anyone that thinks a 2wd drive is better than 4x4 in challenging conditions should start saving their pennies me thinks.. Take a 2wd golf and 4x4 golf with the same tyres on it and see what ones a lot better to drive in challenging conditions, there's no contest....

I always liked the square old Jeep Cherokee for getting through most things and have been surprised with a Q7 for comfort and grip, clearance is king though if the snow is like what we had here.. If my S3 was running and had winters on it I doubt I'd have got too far as it way too low and the suspension is too stiff for snowy corners...

Lotta variables in cars when it comes to snow and tyres are just part of it....

geoffers

Last Visited: 05:58
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
^^^ see this (Winter Tyres or 4x4: which is best? - Auto Express)
[www.youtube.com]

Cheers, Geoff

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.47hrs Mon 5 Mar 18 by geoffers.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.46hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
jabuzzard Wrote:
Can we drop this uniformed nonsense that you need a 4x4 to drive in the snow please.

But 4x4 with snow tyres does make life a lot easier and gives engine braking on both front and rear axles if centre difflock engaged.

Don't think the topic of the thread implied that you need a 4x4

My road to house was only accessible by higher clearance 4x4 this week, neighbours with 2 wd and snow tyres got stuck

20mins ago I towed a Stuck van out of snow bank, it was 2wd and winter tyres,
I drove passed it in snow Bank and hauled it out.

growwild

Date Posted: 17.56hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Another point raised!

Permanent 4x4 via something like haldex plays a big difference too, more so in braking and cornering with weight shifting about under ya... The real deal Quattro is fun and the standard haldex can be annoying at times, though saves on fuel...
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.48hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Currently driving an smax which (ironically enough, and because various reasons) is finally getting snow tyres fitted on Friday. It replaced a delica l400 and in practical terms is better 95% of the time, not least because of 55 vs 15 mpg smiling smiley

The delica (fat knobbly A/T tyres) was great in really deep snow and for doing stupid stuff, but the 1.4 focus on snow tyres mrs remote_patrol drove at the time was way better in snow most of the time. Nearly 3 tonnes going into a slippy corner is never ideal whatever tyres you have.
BraemarBob

Last Visited: 16:51
13th Mar 2020
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
growwild

Date Posted: 21.02hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
That front bumper came late in the 'design' stage, could fit a mower under that and duct the clippings into the back.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
FWD with winter tyres good. AWD with winter tyres best!

Never had an AWD car myself, had mostly FWD Fords with winter tyres. No doubt they give you confidence to go out when the roads are white. But I do drive a Fiat Panda 4x4 time to time with winter tyres and no doubt it pulls up hills with far more ease and when you do get stuck it comes out much easier too. Overall a less stressful experience.

So yeah, Fiat Panda 4x4 gets my vote as you can run it daily and get decent MPG still.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.05hrs on Mon 5 Mar 18
Aint has any issue with my A4 Quattro AWD and summer tyres.

( I guess the brigade will be out to get me now )
bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 12.34hrs on Tue 6 Mar 18
It really is all about the tyres. 4 wheel drive may help with traction going forwards but it won't help when braking or cornering. A front wheel drive vehicle on winter tyres will still have superior traction going forwards than a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres.

Not much will be stopping a 4 wheel drive on winter tyres.

I would love to know how much less chaotic the roads would have been in the last week if winter tyres were the law. There is a reason why the majority of Highland residents use them.
telemarker

12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.42hrs on Tue 6 Mar 18
4wd can help with slowing down and engine braking, if centre differential is locked, then engine braking will apply to front and rear axles, not just front, so vehicle more stable
Goto Page:  12345Next
Current Page:1 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: