You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Re: Don't Overtake on Blind Corners. Please.
Date Posted: 10.48hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
If a certain Fort William based haulage company........ actually drove at the 40mph speed limit for HGVs on the A82 rather than their standard on the limiter 56mph there would be a lot fewer dangerous incidents and overtaking would be a lot safer.

(i know this isn't ........ haulage company and the Nissan is a moron but the point is a relevant one generally)
Hipennine

Date Posted: 11.16hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
awrightski Wrote:
If a certain Fort William based haulage company........ actually drove at the 40mph speed limit for HGVs on the A82 rather than their standard on the limiter 56mph there would be a lot fewer dangerous incidents and overtaking would be a lot safer.

(i know this isn't ........ haulage company and the Nissan is a moron but the point is a relevant one generally)

National speed limit for trucks on single carriageways is now 50mph, not 40mph.
awrightski

2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 11.56hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Hipennine Wrote:
awrightski Wrote:

According to Gov.uk it is still 40mph in Scotland for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and was raised to 50mph in England and Wales only.
Hipennine

Date Posted: 12.12hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
awrightski Wrote:
Hipennine Wrote:
awrightski Wrote:

According to Gov.uk it is still 40mph in Scotland for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes and was raised to 50mph in England and Wales only.

So much for uniform speed limits, although i believe it has been raised to 50mph on the A9.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.41hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Hipennine Wrote:

So much for uniform speed limits, although i believe it has been raised to 50mph on the A9.

It was raised on the A9 first as a trial.

I disagree that HGVs sitting on their limiter are more dangerous on the A82, most car speedos read 60mph at a true 56mph and the majority of people would be intent to go at that speed whereas far more will attempt to overtake and queues (and frustration) will build up much quicker at 40mph.
awrightski

2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 23.33hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
It was my understanding from my delightful speed awareness course that the lower limit for hgvs is there to and was designed to make overtaking easier and safer for cars. My issue with the unnamed Fort william haulage company is their limiter sitting on straights and irritatingly low speed on bends just pisses the queue behind them off leading to people overtaking in dangerous spots. Arguments either way I guess.

Anyway rant over, ski forum.

growwild

Date Posted: 03.49hrs on Fri 23 Mar 18
After re-examining the video I think it mysteriously lacks sound. I wont speculate for now....

I've came home a few times hoping some eejits no stuck me on youtube... Dash camera cars should have their roofs wrapped in fake turf!

Is there a minimum speed one should be going past a car so every frame would be a blur?
Hipennine

Date Posted: 14.59hrs on Fri 23 Mar 18
awrightski Wrote:
It was my understanding from my delightful speed awareness course that the lower limit for hgvs is there to and was designed to make overtaking easier and safer for cars. My issue with the unnamed Fort william haulage company is their limiter sitting on straights and irritatingly low speed on bends just pisses the queue behind them off leading to people overtaking in dangerous spots. Arguments either way I guess.

40 mph limit was introduced when truck braking was ahem, performance restricted.

Many decades ago I remember reading a newspaper article that had identified a new breed of driver calle a Trog, Their behaviour was just as you described, and the purpose of this was to achieve "a conker", which was a queue of at least 20 vehicles stuck behind them. Senior trogs could achieve double-conkers.

I still comment about trogs and conkers when driving, and passengers haven't a clue what I'm going on about.
awrightski

2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 15.34hrs on Fri 23 Mar 18
Hipennine Wrote:
awrightski Wrote:

40 mph limit was introduced when truck braking was ahem, performance restricted.

Many decades ago I remember reading a newspaper article that had identified a new breed of driver calle a Trog, Their behaviour was just as you described, and the purpose of this was to achieve "a conker", which was a queue of at least 20 vehicles stuck behind them. Senior trogs could achieve double-conkers.

I still comment about trogs and conkers when driving, and passengers haven't a clue what I'm going on about.

Haha, definitely going to start using that!
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: