You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Elsie

Last Visited: 22:58
6th Feb 2020
Easter hold & April weekends - how busy?
Date Posted: 19.45hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Hello all. Have the opportunity to get up to Nevis, Glenshee or Glencoe between early next week until it all melts away (long may it last). I know this is all very weather and wind dependant, but how busy do you think it will be at weekends generally and during the school
holidays? I was up in Jan, and some days were too busy to make it worth going.
Trying to avoid weekends (and definitely the Easter weekend itself) but if that's the best weather then it'll have to be.

When do the kids go back this year BTW?

Thanks.
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Re: Easter hold & April weekends - how busy?
Date Posted: 20.10hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Clearly depends on weather.... however.... midweek you should be fine. Easter weekend may be busy if good snow but not what you've seen in January esp given that more runs will be open

For reasons I don't quite get, some folks only want to ski in January when the weather is often colder and queues bigger!

In summary you should be ok!
sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.12hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Should add - for the resorts you mention

Kids off first 2 weeks in April although I understand West Lothian off next week and first week of April
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.58hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Aside from the fact some people only go skiing when they see snow outside the city window... most of Scotland only gets a long weekend during the February half term period.

A consequence of that is that Easter is a popular time for overseas snowsports holidays for Scottish families, so this takes a bit of the potential pressure off.

So while Easter weekend will be a bit busier if weather is good than mid-week it will not be in the league of some of the mad carnage weekends that are prone to occuring in January or the complete rammy that Feb half term tends to be in the East.

Also it looks as if (wind permitting) the vast majority of uplift should be open across the five areas through Easter weekend unless the medium term forecast trend is way out! With more or less full terrain across the areas, queues should be pretty minimal in those circumstances for the lifts.

What is almost certain to be busier across the areas is equipment hire, so if you have your own kit or can hire off site, either option will help get you a lot more slope time and less waiting about!
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.50hrs on Thu 22 Mar 18
Never bad even at weekends during holidays at Glencoe other than maybe ski hire on a few peak days. Tends to get quieter later in the season so we have never had a problem with queuing on the mountain at Easter
Elsie

Last Visited: 22:58
6th Feb 2020
Date Posted: 00.18hrs on Sat 24 Mar 18
Thanks everyone. Sounds like it's a go-er whenever the weather looks good then, accommodation permitting
Have been up before over or around the Easter weekend itself and never been too bad, I must admit:but they weren't such good snow years. I have my own skis and boards so no issues there, except which ones to take!
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: