You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
Snow-Bunny

Last Visited: 21:03
4th Aug 2019
Re: 2017-18 skier numbers
Date Posted: 08.50hrs on Mon 18 Jun 18
Ni hoo!!!
Alan I have just read the P&J article online (Unless CGM have edited it)
Yes we all know CGM has lost market share and they are their own worst enemies. The article only refers to the increase in season ticket sales compare to last year and 4x 2016 totals.

Do you blame them from trying to tempt people to go there, they had to try something to at least halt or reverse the trend. From a personal and purely selfish stance I don't want to see them go under, it is only 37 miles to CGM carpark for me. At least 2x more to any of the others in time and distance.
Cairngorm Skier

Date Posted: 13.55hrs on Mon 18 Jun 18
You are not alone snowbunny. The regulars and real local businesses along with the hardworking hill staff are sick of the unrelenting torrent of bile and negativity spouting forth from Whingehighland, Save the Ciste and the supposed community trust . Funny that it is always the same few malcontents with an agenda that keep popping up under different guises. They have nothing to contribute and its long since time this website was gone. Local businesses in Aviemore need to take a firm and robust stand against these few who constantly talk down Cairngorm and Aviemore. We can not go on letting a few eejits on a vendetta carryon damaging our hill and businesses.

Great to see Nevis Range taking such decisive action against that 'back corries' clown. Cairngorm need to act similarly robustly against those who talk the area down.
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.24hrs on Mon 18 Jun 18
What a ridiculous post.

I would make a reasonable guess that every poster on this forum wishes to see Cairngorm thrive.

It's just that the eejits who carry on damaging "our" hill and businesses are the clowns who run it.
Snowweasel

Last Visited: 11:14
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.51hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
Ridiculous post. We all want to see Cairngorm thrive. I learned to ski there and so did my kids. Every halfterm we came to Aviemore to ski Cairngorm.I like the staff and know how hard they work BUT there are some really daft decisions being made on the hill, and other ski areas are making themseleves far more attractive. That's the issue, and well done Alan and other Winterhighlanders for pointing that out.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 07.53hrs Tue 19 Jun 18 by Snowweasel.
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 08.06hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:
You are not alone snowbunny. The regulars and real local businesses along with the hardworking hill staff are sick of the unrelenting torrent of bile and negativity spouting forth from Whingehighland, Save the Ciste and the supposed community trust . Funny that it is always the same few malcontents with an agenda that keep popping up under different guises. They have nothing to contribute and its long since time this website was gone. Local businesses in Aviemore need to take a firm and robust stand against these few who constantly talk down Cairngorm and Aviemore. We can not go on letting a few eejits on a vendetta carryon damaging our hill and businesses.

Great to see Nevis Range taking such decisive action against that 'back corries' clown. Cairngorm need to act similarly robustly against those who talk the area down.

moron
bigtam

Last Visited: 12:41
27th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 09.02hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
awrightski Wrote:
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:

You are confusing whinging with what to me looks like a fairly cohesive argument against the destruction of ski infrastructure and the pursuit of profits over skier experience.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 15.22hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:

Honestly if you think this forum's just a whinge, transform it by posting your positive experiences, convince your many friends who are happy with CGM as it is to do so too.
some frustrated skier

Last Visited: 21:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 18.31hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:

Hello Janette, how’s things? The hill doing ok? Any more lifts being scrapped this year? What is the size of this years bonfire of £20 notes?
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.31hrs on Tue 19 Jun 18
Its such a shame Cairngorm once a premier ski resort is fast losing market share to other ski centres, Glenshee and Glencoe are definitely leading the way with more investment in new chairlifts which increases better experiences among skiers and snowboarders, Cairngorm need to think hard about investing in chairlifts not the other way around, With Glencoe acquiring a snow factory and a new chairlift for next season it will certainly attract more skiers and boarders, same with Glenshee, Cairnwell T-bar is due to be replaced by a chairlift which I am definitely looking forward to next season.
ML

Date Posted: 11.16hrs on Wed 20 Jun 18
It's very silent on the glencoe/ glenshee chairlift front. Has construction started?

And wasn't there a rumor that at Glenshee it would go up Carn Aosda instead?
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.01hrs on Wed 20 Jun 18
ML,

Because of planning delays and last years early winter we are still working on the Access track needed to construct the chairlift. This track should be completed within the next month and construction can then begin. We'll certainly be making a start on the Chairlift this year but no guarantees we will have the time to complete it.
dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 10.32hrs on Sat 23 Jun 18
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:

You need to start taking note of the views of the majority of your snow sport customers who are clearly voting with their feet and going elsewhere. I was for many years a CairnGorm season ticket holder, but stopped buying a season ticket 2-3 years ago due to the reduction in the skiable area in recent years. I've always liked siing the Ciste side particularly the Ciste gulleys and when conditions allowed the runs back to the Ciste carpark, but got fed up of there being skiable snow down to the old board walk but no uplift due to the WW poma track being broken. In fact since NR took over I've not even been over for a day trip. Most of my skiing has been xc in the Clash and the occasional trip to Glenshee. Its a shame that Glencoe is so far away for me as I would like to give Andy some of my custom for the good job he is doing there.
tim1mw

Date Posted: 14.47hrs on Fri 29 Jun 18
ML Wrote:
And wasn't there a rumor that at Glenshee it would go up Carn Aosda instead?

The planning application was to replace the Cairnwell T-Bar, if they change their minds there will need to be a new planning application.

"Cairngorm Skier" nobody here is talking Cairngorm down, merely the current management strategy. The two are not the same. Cairngorm is a great mountain to ski on, but the lift system after years of neglect and asset destruction is no longer fit for purpose. So I don't ski there and won't ski there until I feel like it's worth paying them my money. People may get frustrated that the Braveheart at Nevis doesn't open very often, but there is a big difference between that and not running it at all for 15 years and then gas-axing it.
harley

Last Visited: 18:52
13th Jun 2019
Date Posted: 12.13hrs on Sun 21 Oct 18
Cairngorm Skier Wrote:

Spot on.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 13.55hrs on Sun 21 Oct 18
harley Wrote:

Spot on.

Go up the hill and open your eyes and look around. This is a business which lost 40% of it's market in 4 years, which today is a business that is barely trading, where he main uplift is out of action (probably for the winter by CML's own comments) and the only alliterative non surface uplift rushed to demolition last autumn.

CairnGorm is fast transitioning from an active commercial snowsports centre to a collection of dilapidations. It pains me to say it but that is not talking Aviemore and Strathspey down, it's an observable fact. I've heard from a season ticket holder who went for a walk around the ski area yesterday and in their own words they were raging about the state of the entire place by the time they returned to their car.

I notice the Convenor of the Highland Council - Bill Lobban has gone to ground and locked down his Facebook profile, deleted or hidden his previous comments about CairnGorm on various Facebook pages.

Perhaps he's felt the heat from the real local businesses, skiers and community who are beyond fed up and now just angry with the continuing shambles that is CairnGorm Mountain under the ownership and (lack of) stewardship of HIE.
Goto Page:  Previous12345Next
Current Page:3 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: