You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Still have Your Winter Tyres On?
Date Posted: 18.25hrs on Wed 20 Jun 18
I was in the new Aviemore retail car park the other day and a noticed the soft roader next to me still had their winter tyres on and I was wondering when it was the best time to remove then for summer so I did some digging.

This article on the Oponeo web site was quite informative with reference to data from Continental and Goodyear. Not quite a scientific white paper but quite informative, I liked the nice pretty pictures. Now they are trying to sell you tyres but the data is interesting.

I pulled the data off our weather station to see when it was last below 7C. It has hit below this for a couple of nights this week but in general has been above 10C for the last month or so. Highest temps hit 30C a couple of times, on average much warmer than last year so far!

I was surprised how bad the all season tyres came out for summer use. That is what I use on the landrover but I do need them for mud on the farm track and crossing the fields.

[www.oponeo.co.uk]

Graeme

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 16.39hrs Thu 21 Jun 18 by WindyMiller.

Hipennine

Re: Still have You Winter Tyres On?
Date Posted: 07.09hrs on Thu 21 Jun 18
No mention of fuel consumption in the above article particularly.

Because of injury, my car was essentuially immobile for 3 months between March and early June. After two week's driving again in the warmer temps with snow tyres still on, I switched to summer tyres, and there's been an immediate 10%plus improvement in fuel consumption.

I've never noticed this before to such an extent, because the snow tyres normally come off end of April/early May.

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Re: Still have Your Winter Tyres On?
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Thu 21 Jun 18
yup, 2.0TD Smax on Nokian WRD4s, 52-ish mpg on those vs 54 ish on summers. kinda noisy too, but they make a sensible family hauler look slightly more badass so i'm keeping them on smiling smiley

StevieMcK

Last Visited: 13:25
29th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.10hrs on Fri 22 Jun 18
I tend to stick them on around the start of December and take them back off around April time.

dhorsley

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 08.27hrs on Sat 23 Jun 18
I put mine on in Octoberish and off end of Mayish. Interestingly I'm getting poorer mileage on the summer tyres. MPG had crept up to 49mpg on the winters as the car got older (Its now done 10k miles). It had its first service and I changed it to summer tyres and mileage is down at 45mpg. Not sure whether that's says more about the summer tyres or the quality of the service from John Clarke.

telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 09.03hrs on Sat 23 Jun 18
Keep on all year, did not notice change in fuel consumption. They do wear more quickly, best to over inflate. Lasted 4 years, don’t do that much mileage or drive down south in summer, and were the cheapest Chinese.

growwild

Date Posted: 00.54hrs on Wed 27 Jun 18
If i was cruising aboot like a granny I'd stick with winters aw year..

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 11.49hrs on Thu 5 Jul 18
I just leave the winters on all the time and use my other car as much as I can when the weather is good. I get 16MPG on LPG and sadly no tyre seems to make any difference, the joys of a 2.5 ton 4X4 with CVT tranny.

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.02hrs on Sat 14 Jul 18
I remember seeing a while back a note on winter tyres on the Continental (tyre) web site - they basically recommended that if you had one set of tyres only, it should be a winter set on all year.

And I heard from an employee of one of the main supermarkets who told me that their online shopping vans in Scotland have winter tyres on all year

I’m not saying that either is the best option of course

telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 12.46hrs on Wed 22 Aug 18
Many a Grannie would be upset if you accused them as driving as sedately as me!

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.54hrs on Thu 11 Oct 18
Basically when the temp is regularly below +7C....swap over...

Having said that I decided to swap mine over this year now as I was doing the full service, new brake discs etc...etc...

& the other day we had +23.4C!!..WTF in October & last week we had +3 to +5C..???

someone is having a laugh...

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 20.28hrs on Thu 11 Oct 18
Get used to it - the jet stream is whipping about like an unattended hose, we'll either get heat or storms dependin on what side we're on.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.11hrs on Fri 12 Oct 18
I was just thinking again about tyres when Shona's brand new replacement land rover broke down with in 18 days and returned for a second replacement. They did not even argue they just said we will get Land Rover to get you another one. You just could not make it up!

The loan car is an all singing and dancing discovery and surprisingly has a set of the next generation all season tyres which have a snow flake and leaf emblem on them. Haven't taken it down the farm yet so no idea how they will perform off road. Maybe we should just keep this one as it seems to work and not gamble with a third new one.

Anyway was reading this article www.evo.co.uk/features/13761/best-winter-tyres-2018
Quite up to date 2018 but does not have the tyres we have on the loan car.

And for anyone that is interested, just pulled the data off the weather station back to December 2016 to see the average temperatures here in Aviemore. It shows graphically when the temps are below7oC, best time for winter tyres.

Graeme

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.14hrs Fri 12 Oct 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: Image1.jpg (53kB)  
growwild

Date Posted: 17.27hrs on Fri 12 Oct 18
All winter tyres should come with a golf attached if the west coast is yer place unless yer a excuse is owning a farm, wee man syndrome is no excuse for a jeep! Audis are awright for cairngorms as it's mostly straight roads.

WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.40hrs on Fri 12 Oct 18
growwild Wrote:
All winter tyres should come with a golf attached if the west coast is yer place unless yer a excuse is owning a farm, wee man syndrome is no excuse for a jeep! Audis are awright for cairngorms as it's mostly straight roads.

Best was when the wee girl phoned to ask how we were getting on with one of the other loan cars, a very shiny Jaguar RS sports, I replied I had trouble getting the sheep in but it was ok I got one in the front and two in the back. She paused and laughed nervously...was I joking?

Goto Page:  123456Next
Current Page:1 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: