You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:4 of 6
growwild

Re: Still have Your Winter Tyres On?
Date Posted: 18.30hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
I can maybe see a helmet there, still pretty weak wheels for booting it or maybe his jobs just tae shave they banks down.. Think it was 1998/99 or there about that Aviemore and the surrounding area was like that for a day or 2, was like a bobsleigh track and hilarious, roads were dead and so was a company car after that weekend, got us home anyway....

I was in a special wee metro in Ireland once, sadly he wasn't driving. Ya gotta see what a car can do and that's finding it's limit and some, till time nearly stops and glass, stones and metal is slowly floating past which is some weird shit then BANG, check fingers n skin up!

Mrs P.Mantis Maybot is looking for a stubborn negotiator.. Now we are at cleaning, some high rpms will get the snow aff and most top teams pretty much use the same wheels winter and summer as they are strong as feck, that ken block stuff he does ya can get away with street/touring car wheels...

ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 18.33hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
Lol fair play on finding those pics. Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit though. How many other snow rally pics did you scroll last without 5 spoke wheels on to find them?

5 spoke wheels for rally purposes in the snow for the reasons you’ve stated is myth, plain and simple.
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.57hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
ESD1711 Wrote:
Lol fair play on finding those pics. Kinda scraping the bottom of the barrel a bit though. How many other snow rally pics did you scroll last without 5 spoke wheels on to find them?

5 spoke wheels for rally purposes in the snow for the reasons you’ve stated is myth, plain and simple.

You asked for modern..so I just had a quick look in the last 10 years..go back to Colin McRae era...or the Toyota Celica..or the Group B Audi Ur Quatros…& most ran 5 spokes...

As far as "myth"...just repeating what the tech dept at the manufactures stated to me...& as there was no price diff between the multispokes & the five spokes I took their advice, there was no "price incentive"...& seeing as they have been making alloy wheels for rally etc for decades they know a thing or two

so what do you run for winter tyre/rims sizes then?

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.50hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by SnowmanDave.
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.59hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
growwild Wrote:
I can maybe see a helmet there, still pretty weak wheels for booting it or maybe his jobs just tae shave they banks down.. Think it was 1998/99 or there about that Aviemore and the surrounding area was like that for a day or 2, was like a bobsleigh track and hilarious, roads were dead and so was a company car after that weekend, got us home anyway....

I was in a special wee metro in Ireland once, sadly he wasn't driving. Ya gotta see what a car can do and that's finding it's limit and some, till time nearly stops and glass, stones and metal is slowly floating past which is some weird shit then BANG, check fingers n skin up!

Mrs P.Mantis Maybot is looking for a stubborn negotiator.. Now we are at cleaning, some high rpms will get the snow aff and most top teams pretty much use the same wheels winter and summer as they are strong as feck, that ken block stuff he does ya can get away with street/touring car wheels...

So what do you run for rims & tyre sizes on both your cars...summer & winter then??

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.51hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by SnowmanDave.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.59hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
No multispokes in winter???

WRC 2018

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.00hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by carsey.
growwild

Date Posted: 22.16hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
Mk4 1.8t, one lady owner, rhd german car so above average, prefer a mk3 or MK1 but cant be arsed with major surgery on a car or risk wrecking something decent.. El Diablo is a late s3 8l which was pampered and caged till I got it, rods are holding it back so it's kinda getting boring but has a pretty brutal map which makes it a bit interesting...

Golfs on 16's, might not even be the same width on each wheel but sure they are near 205/55 and probably aw different makes. I'll stick 2 michelin all seasons on the front..

Audis on 18's, 225/40 pilots maybe, too low, stiff and really only good for flat oot in the dry, the rests loud ballet. Needs adjustable shocks for winters tae make it worthwhile, golfs safer as its limited and quiet so no real temptation tae boot it..

Golf's fine for everything, The Audi is good for eating cash and waking folk up cold or hot, wanna buy it?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.19hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by growwild.
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 23.00hrs on Tue 16 Oct 18
Cant beat a 1.8T. Grown up tuning them for 12 years and still going! Keep on top of the little vacuum issues under the inlet and keep you happy for years. plenty tuneable too.

heres mine:

Just shy of 400bhp

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 23.04hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by carsey.
growwild

Date Posted: 01.04hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
That's nice, I like they wheels and they make good use of the arches on em.. Engine looks pro, ya build it and do the install yerself and that haldex or standard gti?

Golfs been fine and it's seen the country, the audi snaps crackles and pops hoses like foook, standard bam and ko4 on full blow so no excuse. Turbo back with an invisible cat and fmic and all the shit, engine needs rebuilt and more air or returned to normal and I don't wanna do either...

You or Dave should buy it..

carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 03.30hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
Built it all myself apart from the head and welding the mounts in for the cage. Just a 2wd gti running a 02M box with lsd
ESD1711

13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 05.26hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
SnowmanDave Wrote:
ESD1711 Wrote:

You asked for modern..so I just had a quick look in the last 10 years..go back to Colin McRae era...or the Toyota Celica..or the Group B Audi Ur Quatros…& most ran 5 spokes...

As far as "myth"...just repeating what the tech dept at the manufactures stated to me...& as there was no price diff between the multispokes & the five spokes I took their advice, there was no "price incentive"...& seeing as they have been making alloy wheels for rally etc for decades they know a thing or two

so what do you run for winter tyre/rims sizes then?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.50hrs Tue 16 Oct 18 by SnowmanDave.

Ok, we'll do as you've said and go back to 'the Colin Macrae era'.

Here's two pictures of a 206 WRC - one is in tarmac guise, and the other is in snow guise.

Note the wheel choices on each.

[snaplap.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com]

[www.supercars.net]

I'm not sure why you're asking about my own wheel / tyre choice to be honest as it bears absolutely zero relevance to the point I'm making.

I've no real interest in engaging with you on your debates about tyre sizes and wheel widths and offsets - your posts read as if you've done a lot of googling on the subject rather than any real world understanding of it.

All i'm saying is that whilst some rally cars might well appear at snow rallies with 5 spoke wheels on - there is absolutely nothing to suggest that the reason for doing so is to prevent build up of snow in the wheel. Other than something you've been fed by a salesman - there is nothing to back up what you're saying.

ESD1711

13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 05.29hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
Oh and in response to your weird question about my own tyre choice, 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on a VW Cadiz wheel.

What that has to do with sticking on 5 spoke open faced wheels to keep snow out though i'll never know.
growwild

Date Posted: 18.32hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
Hello darkness, my 3 spoke friend
I've come to talk with you again
Because a vision softly creeping
Left its seeds while I was sleeping
And the vision that was planted in my brain
Still remains
Within the sound of silence

In restless dreams I drove alone
Narrow streets of gravel and stone
'Neath the halo of a head lamp
I turned my 3 spoke to the cold and damp
When my wheels exploded in a flash of light
But they were light
And touched the sound of silennnnnnnnnnce

Ya gotta build thread someplace Carcey?
Alistair bennett

Date Posted: 21.02hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
Kwality
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.53hrs on Wed 17 Oct 18
I did have one on the Uk-mkivs forum, but it appears to now only be 2 pages long. sad smiley
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.55hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18

Fitted Continental Wintercontact tyres to a 2nd set of Cadiz Alloys for my Golf R a couple weeks ago, just waiting for it to get colder before i swap the wheels over.
looking forward to seeing how the Golf R handles in snow
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:4 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: