You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:5 of 6
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Re: Still have Your Winter Tyres On?
Date Posted: 10.36hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
telemarker Wrote:

Fitted Continental Wintercontact tyres to a 2nd set of Cadiz Alloys for my Golf R a couple weeks ago, just waiting for it to get colder before i swap the wheels over.
looking forward to seeing how the Golf R handles in snow

So you are like.... but with winter tyres...

ESD1711 Wrote:
Oh and in response to your weird question about my own tyre choice, 225/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 on a VW Cadiz wheel.

I would make certain you have a very good ceramic coating/sealant on them as those diamond cut alloys (most VAG diamond cut) are notorious for whiteworm etc ..& road salt/grit does not help..& neither do acidic wheel cleaners

Its always best to have a plain design with a good durable paint finish for winter alloys..

Plenty of threads on the web about it & these alloys:-

[www.vwroc.com]

As for handling..at least you understand that correct tyre choice ensures that any driven wheel can grip....& the AWD with winter tyres is huge fun!!...

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 11.54hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
good tip on the sealant coating, just ordered some

when the white worm attacks them, i will get them refurbished and powdercoated, which should make them last longer
growwild

Date Posted: 21.14hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
That sucks Carsey, would have liked a look. Ya fit the lsd before ya had the power?

Is the Golf R for auld guys? - [www.youtube.com]

VAG awd is safe and hmmm, pretty sure the new fords running haldex give ya the option of good auld fun fae factory, - [www.youtube.com]

carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.13hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
growwild Wrote:
That sucks Carsey, would have liked a look. Ya fit the lsd before ya had the power?

Kind of got done in the process. Was at 260bhp for a while, car off the road, fitted a LSD and the hybrid turbo, ended up at 360bhp, now just short of 400.

Might get a few old pics off photobucket or theres some on my facebook: Chris carse

[s93.photobucket.com]
growwild

Date Posted: 01.55hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
Thought about sticking a hybrid k03s in mine and aiming for 250ish, but wasn't sure if the extra on a hybrid on was gonna be worth it unless going lsd.. What was it like at 260 ? I'm not after a race car with this, just a good proper gti with extra deadening too so the extra oomph aint all for speed.

What roll bars ya using?

Banned myself fae 'social' media..
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 07.30hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
Get the K300 and should be a good 280-300bbp depending on rest of the hardware. Supersize intake pipe helps a lot too.

You can get away without a lsd at that power if the car is set up properly. I’m running the full LCR/TT/R32 steering rack, hubs and wishbones with super pro bushes all round. Roll bar wise I’ve got a 22mm FK bar on he front and a white line 24mm rear roll bar. Going to swap the front out for a standard TT one instead though.
growwild

Date Posted: 19.18hrs on Mon 22 Oct 18
Thanks for the info.. I'll grab a tt one aff a breaker tae add tae my pile of 'junk', thought about doing a quicker rack though aint after a big drop so the rest can stay put. I'll check out that turbo, sounds tempting but I wouldn't wanna do any internals or change the cooler, intake and quiet enough exhaust at most engine side unless I can get stuff aff a breaker cheap. Got black bushes on the audi, like em but the backs on the wishbones don't last and needs more race ones for my kinda driving but they cost too much tae fook too, I'm getting auld sad smiley
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Mon 22 Oct 18
The cast wishbones and TT/S3/LCR hubs are good too as they are slightly taller below the driveshaft flange to the ball joint so keeps things more ‘levelled out’ when the car is a bit lower.

That front end with a TT front roll bar, decent suspension up front and a rear roll bar will see a very capable car round the twisties.

The k300 is good turbo, especially if your going from the k03s turbo to begin with. Supersize intake pipe, good air filter and a decat downpipe with a good cat back will see nice gains. Will also need a front mount intercooler as the side ones will struggle like mad with the extra heat. Nice smooth map keeping boost held back a bit low down to avoid high cylinder pressures on the rods will be a good option. 280-290bhp I reckon be lovely and safe on stock rods. Could run more but could become risky
Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 12.12hrs on Tue 23 Oct 18
Good info gents, you obviously know your stuff.

Anyone know a good tuner in Scotland?

I have a built Nissan SR20VE N1 N/A running an emanage for tuning not a Kraft durch Freude wagon by the way.

SnowmanDave

3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.14hrs on Tue 23 Oct 18
carsey Wrote:
The cast wishbones and TT/S3/LCR hubs are good too as they are slightly taller below the driveshaft flange to the ball joint so keeps things more ‘levelled out’ when the car is a bit lower.

The unfortunate problem is that "Growwild" stated he runs 16" BBS alloys & 205 tyres on the MK4...

& if I remember correctly that TT hub carrier will foul the wheel as it effectively drops down lower towards the wheel rim at the ball joint...(that's the whole point obviously)...most people running the TT hub carriers are running 17" or 18" rims & usually BBK's..

carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.15hrs on Tue 23 Oct 18
I reckon it'll still fit. Its not a great deal they lower it down by but its enough to be notable handling wise. Infact, some TT's came with 16" wheels.
SnowmanDave

3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.34hrs on Tue 23 Oct 18
carsey Wrote:
I reckon it'll still fit. Its not a great deal they lower it down by but its enough to be notable handling wise. Infact, some TT's came with 16" wheels.

Had to double check that (you are right) as never seen one on 16" rims...

Then it should fit with the right wheel..

A mate with a 180bhp MK4 GTI was going to swap the arb, carriers, wishbone (cast) & the drop links/struts as the TT struts & drop links connect differently/better....I vaguely remember what was involved as I was to be giving him a hand..eg my garage & tools....

anyway money for it was taken by other commitments for him..so never got done...its a popular mod on the MK4 platform..full TT conversion..way better handling...& all using OEM parts...

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.34hrs Tue 23 Oct 18 by SnowmanDave.
growwild

Date Posted: 00.45hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
It's an agu, I'd probably be happy with a k03s on full blow if I had one, I'd prefer a hybrid instead of just going up one. I know of an S3 that's getting broke, if I can get the rack,front hubs and wishbones cheap I'll grab em and the brakes n carriers if he aint using them for something else and throw them in the 'maybe' pile..

All I wanted was a wee bit extra puff and grip and I'm awready thinking I should stick in some extra welds when I'm deadening it......... Yer a bad influence Carsey! Comfort is a big part of my list too, sound included so I'll need tae watch on the intake noise and exhaust, never been in a car with coilovers that were comfy but I'd need them for putting the car in winter mode and they'd probably cost more than I payed for the golf and s3 together lol

Standard agu fuel pump, maf and injectors awright for 260/280 on these 1.8s?

Half of me is kinda up for it and the other half says get a 4motion with a goosed 6pot and drop in the bam out the s3 and break the rest of it.. Big part of me thinks I'll need 4 wheels spinning tae make proper use of anything over 250bhp in these chassis too.

There's a couple of decent tuners over in Hillington dirtboarder if yer near the west coast.

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 13.51hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
Cheers Growwild I'll have a search see what I can find.
I usually use Protuner very good but he is down in the Midlands.

My buddy used to have a modified MkV TDI with hybrid and bored out injectors running 240BHP and 400 torques.
He swore by use of uprated arb's and standard shockys etc instead of coilies on a road car to maintain correct roll centre and smoother ride while improving handling.
It was a fast car but ate gearboxes for fun, 3 in 5 years.
carsey

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.24hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
AGU is actually a bit harder to tune, and to find someone reliable to map them. THe MAF will need doing as the ECU works out the engine load via it. Injectors are probably good for around 220bhp, so you will probably want some saab red ones in there with a OBD2 VR6 housing (2.75" off the top of my head - different to the S3 one)

Id be wary of a stock fuel pump at that age aswell. Likely story is itll be on its a55 at that age and the fuel pressure increase so end up with lean running, so id factor in a DW65 pump aswell for safe measures.

In hindsight...like you say, get the 4mo shell and drop the S3 lump in it. Be much easier, if not the same cost, to get the same power out of it, plus you could use the k04 and map it to ~275bhp and take the hit on the little extra. Strong stage 2 K04 is pretty good.

Take a look at the site me and a mate wrote: Doesnt have the K04 stuff on yet, but plenty info on there about the 1.8T

[18t-tuning.co.uk]
Goto Page:  Previous123456Next
Current Page:5 of 6
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: