You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:4 of 9
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Re: Summer 2018 Improvements
Date Posted: 14.04hrs on Tue 14 Aug 18
Phill 56 Says:

'The combination of the 3-chair Carinwell lift, plus the reworking of the Cairn-Asoda T-bar into a hybrid lift'

I did not visit Glenshee this year. Whats this about Cairn-Asoda being a hybrid lift? Does that mean it had poma or button hangers on it as well as t-bars?

Ive seen a few of these in the alps and I certainly prefer a button over a t-bar if im on my own, likewise, Ive also seen t-bar lifts which are strong enough to become single person chairlifts in the summer.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Tue 14 Aug 18
My understanding is that Glenshee need to buy a new chairlift to access the government funding. Hopefully, Poma are able to do a deal soon...
Phil 56

Date Posted: 21.40hrs on Tue 14 Aug 18
Indeed, Cairn-Asoda T-bar now has T-bar and button hangers on it - generally the skiers were encouraged to use the T-bars, with the boarders using the buttons. As a single skier I had some good conversations on the way up with whoever I'd been paired with. Lift works fine, although it's not a lift for beginners as it gets steep near the top - on one day it took ski patrol about an hour to help down two children who'd fallen off near the top, away from the piste, and lost their skis.
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.21hrs on Sun 19 Aug 18
Thanks for that clarification Phil56
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.51hrs on Thu 30 Aug 18
For those who have not seen it yet, please consider seeing my post re. summer improvements at Glencoe & Nevis Range

Next year I might include a site visit to Glenshee, Cairngorm too if they behave!

[www.winterhighland.info]

Regards
Jonathan
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.25hrs on Tue 25 Sep 18
Wow. Bit quiet here. We must have something to talk about !
Any news on the Caenlochan refurb or developments at the Coe ?
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.23hrs on Wed 26 Sep 18
I notice that work has started on the new 20x30m PistenBully shed at Glencoe, thought i'd be willing to bet they will only get the foundations done this autumn.

I have not been aware of ANY work at CGM this year, but if anyone does have any information, I'm sure we would all like to know.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 14.03hrs Fri 28 Sep 18 by 01cookjk.
igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.57hrs on Wed 26 Sep 18
01cookjk, Think we might surprise you, we fully expect the new garage to be completed before the ski season starts. Andy (Glencoe)
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Wed 26 Sep 18
There's been new control cabling put in on the Fiacaill Ridge Poma and some new fencing work on the Daylodge Poma, but small fry compared to what Nevis has done. The Daylodge Poma on the outside of the run and most exposed section are completely unfenced as the old paling has been taken down and not yet replaced. Similarly the WWP Ciste Fairway section has had old fencing taken down, the material is on site and posts in location but not yet fenced.

However it seems CML might have bigger fish to fry - if their website is being updated daily then it's at least 8 days since the Funicular run and it appears to be shut more than it's open. The wind limit, carrying capacity and operating speed have all being reduced, and it made today's P&J.

[www.pressandjournal.co.uk]
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Wed 26 Sep 18
Caenlochan all going well. New gearbox has been onsite for a while and the lift is close to being completed.

Sadly no pics but hopefully they'll stick some on FB
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.08hrs on Fri 28 Sep 18
igloo4you Wrote:
01cookjk, Think we might surprise you, we fully expect the new garage to be completed before the ski season starts. Andy (Glencoe)

Andy,

I hope you do surprise me. I'll be up there skiing in March and possibly in late December too and I expect to be blown away (by your garage, not the wind!!!)

Jonathan

PS: Can you build an igloo4me?
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.17hrs on Fri 28 Sep 18
alan Wrote:

However it seems CML might have bigger fish to fry - if their website is being updated daily then it's at least 8 days since the Funicular run and it appears to be shut more than it's open. The wind limit, carrying capacity and operating speed have all being reduced, and it made today's P&J.

Given that the normal operation speed is 10m/s and it has been down to 4m/s when it has been open lately, this would surely doom the winter operation given its reduced uplift capacity.

Original stats, Im sure you are aware of them, but other's might not be:
[www.lift-world.info]
calumshep

Last Visited: 11:27
26th Oct 2018
Date Posted: 22.47hrs on Fri 28 Sep 18
Would just like to pitch in RE: a chair replacement of the Cairnwell T-Bar.

Is it not the case that Scotland is more frequently battered by more violent winds than the ski areas on the continent? I'm all for modernisation of the lift infrastructure, but aiming to have the same small ratio of surface lifts as other European resorts might not be the "right", or indeed only way of modernising the infrastructure.

The Cairnwell T-Bar is indeed old and I agree that it's steep, meaning less able skiers do struggle to read the green-grade Bunny Run. Of course, it's always going to be the case that customers will prefer chair (and other seated) lifts over surface lifts, but on balance I'm sure customers would rather see lifts running in the wind than not. A chair lift is obviously much more sucepitble to closure due to high winds than a surface lift, and with the T-Bar serving 4 of the 9 main runs on the Cairnwell side it would be a real shame to lose them to wind more frequently. The T-Bar is almost never shut due to wind (it's well protected, especially from westerlies), but I fear a chair would be closed much more often.
01cookjk

6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.08hrs on Sat 29 Sep 18
I feel that a 2nd chairlift on the same mountain is just a weird move. It should be put on Cairn Osoda, and 2 new T-Bars built to replace the existing ones, though the retention of the same design of return station should be kept, as its easy to maintain and allows for off-loading right at the top.

This would equal 2 mountains each with 2 different modes of uplift, so redundancy is present when there is wind.

Ive probably mentioned this before, but a small rope tow going UP to the top of the cairnwell T-bar would be an excellent addition, as this would allow users of the Cairnwell Tripple to acsess the bunny run WITHOUT the need for another chair, providing a snow base can be maintained down to the chairlift.

calumshep

Last Visited: 11:27
26th Oct 2018
Date Posted: 16.28hrs on Sat 29 Sep 18
01cookjk Wrote:
I feel that a 2nd chairlift on the same mountain is just a weird move. It should be put on Cairn Osoda, and 2 new T-Bars built to replace the existing ones, though the retention of the same design of return station should be kept, as its easy to maintain and allows for off-loading right at the top.

This would equal 2 mountains each with 2 different modes of uplift, so redundancy is present when there is wind.

Ive probably mentioned this before, but a small rope tow going UP to the top of the cairnwell T-bar would be an excellent addition, as this would allow users of the Cairnwell Tripple to acsess the bunny run WITHOUT the need for another chair, providing a snow base can be maintained down to the chairlift.

I agree about a rope tow. Simple to install and maintain but the benefits in this position would be large.
Goto Page:  Previous123456789Next
Current Page:4 of 9
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: