You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:8 of 18
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Re: CairnGorm Funicular - Operation stopped as safety precaution
Date Posted: 19.57hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
Rhoda Grant MSP is quoted today as saying the situation will be made worse by the closure of the Ptarmigan this winter. Now that could be a misunderstanding on the basis that its closed at present and thus if the Funicular is closed in winter so will the Ptarmigan.

However if it is correct, there really is no excuse for it and will indeed make matters even worse and further discourage people from visiting Strathspey. It would however be fitting with the typical CML can't do / too difficult attitude that has been all to prevalent over the years.

Glenshee, Glencoe and Nevis Range all run remote catering outlets which rely on oversnow transport to be serviced, so there really is no excuse. Indeed in fine weather a very limited service should be on offer at the Ptarmigan now, at least hot / cold drinks, light snacks and toilets.

Instead it seems Natural Retreats was only too keen to lay off staff and do the absolute minimum with the minimal amount of staff, they are contractually obliged to keep the Daylodge open by the lease.

In terms of winter if the Funicular is not going to run then they need to address catering capacity in the Daylodge urgently. Get a big sale on in the Mountain Shop, liquidate the stock, clear the space and get the Cas Bar rebuilt before winter.

paraffin

Date Posted: 20.11hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
Alan,
Only gets worse with closure of Ptarmigan Restaurant.
With every loss comes an opportunity . . .
I predict sales of touring equipment to hit the roof.

paraffin

Date Posted: 20.17hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
tupp Wrote:
The lights in Inverness have been flickering for weeks due to the Shredders in HIE HQ going all night every night.

I like that!

Yes, but not quite the type of shredding we would all like to see.

Did you see what I just did there?

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.29hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
If they had any sense ..

sorry I know that's a HUGE ask....

they would put platforms on the backs of the non-winch cats & fit tall siderails to them..like they do in Canada & USA for Cat accessed skiing...

Then they can run the cats up & down the traverse to get people from the top of the cas to the top station/bowl...

[www.google.co.uk]:

Yes many are nice cabins...but look down & there are a few platforms with rails..

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

tupp

Date Posted: 20.33hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
I very much doubt if anyone in the upper tier of HIE would get that. Or even care. I listened to the former HIE land manager in the Cairngorm hotel a few years back. He said that Cairngorm would never need more than the funicular. A grinning accountant at his side nodded in agreement.

The current state of play is that all the suits and professional grinners are fortifying their positions and backing each other up. Pensions are being protected instead of ordinary jobs and our sport. A bunch of wasters the lot of them.

SnowmanDave

3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.52hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
tupp Wrote:
I very much doubt if anyone in the upper tier of HIE would get that. Or even care. I listened to the former HIE land manager in the Cairngorm hotel a few years back. He said that Cairngorm would never need more than the funicular. A grinning accountant at his side nodded in agreement.

The current state of play is that all the suits and professional grinners are fortifying their positions and backing each other up. Pensions are being protected instead of ordinary jobs and our sport. A bunch of wasters the lot of them.

Exactly..give them a nice powerpoint presentation on "The econometrics of diversification in an ever shrinking market & the possibilities of expansion"..& they'll throw money at you...

& no that is not a real topic..I don't think so anyway???..I just made it up...but I did study "economics in the building industry" as part of my Uni course..

paraffin

Date Posted: 21.10hrs on Thu 18 Oct 18
Tupp & SnowmanD,

Exactly!

A synthesis of symbyotic commercial relationships aimed at delivering a win-win outcome for all fully engaged partners across the piste.

Not long until it snows

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 21.12hrs Thu 18 Oct 18 by paraffin.

Hipennine

Date Posted: 05.47hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
paraffin Wrote:
Tupp & SnowmanD,

Exactly!

A synthesis of symbyotic commercial relationships aimed at delivering a win-win outcome for all fully engaged partners across the piste.

Not long until it snows

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.12hrs Thu 18 Oct 18 by paraffin.

You forgot the "public consulatation to inform the decision making process"

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 09.16hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
As a stakeholder I don't feel like I am being adequately incorporated into emerging synergies

SnowmanDave

3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.23hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
Beastie Wrote:
As a stakeholder I don't feel like I am being adequately incorporated into emerging synergies

You don't want to be....

it would be more akin to a viral takeover where they control everything you do & think...

…"you do not want nice easy access snowsports…..what you want is a shopping experience with nice views"....

PD

Last Visited: 21:20
9th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 20.01hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
paraffin Wrote:
Hi PD,
Just picked up your post about OJEU non compliance!

It makes me wonder about all the other giddy headed decisions made back in the day.

carpet under brushed the?

And Hi back to you Paraffin. Suggest you read up on the Audit Scotland reports on HIE, and not just for the train set. Although the recommendation langauge tends to be highly diplomatic, it indicates a glaring weakness at HIE in the fundamentals of project management (this now quite a science in its own right, widely practiced, with MSc, professional body etc qualifications) eg paraphrasing from distant memory: setting of clear objectives, exercising cost control etc. Unthinkable in my former sector.

ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.26hrs on Fri 19 Oct 18
Get the WLT back up again.

JamesM

Date Posted: 06.35hrs on Sat 20 Oct 18
There's an accurate and perceptive update in the current issue of Private Eye. Good to see the media showing an interest

01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.01hrs on Sat 20 Oct 18
tupp Wrote:
paraffin Wrote:

carpet under brushed the?

The lights in Inverness have been flickering for weeks due to the Shredders in HIE HQ going all night every night.

Thats funny! You think they are shredding incriminating paperwork at the rate of 600pages at a time (Probably only about double the quantity they produce in a day!)

01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.06hrs on Sat 20 Oct 18
SnowmanDave Wrote:
If they had any sense ..

sorry I know that's a HUGE ask....

they would put platforms on the backs of the non-winch cats & fit tall siderails to them..like they do in Canada & USA for Cat accessed skiing...

Then they can run the cats up & down the traverse to get people from the top of the cas to the top station/bowl...

Heres an idea!!!

[www.youtube.com] - Les Duex Alpes to La Grave by Pistenbully.

Alternatively, derail the funicular trains, fits skies to them and pull them behind a winch cat. That would be the ultimate insult to HIE and the engineers that designed it!!!

Current Page:8 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: