You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:10 of 18
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Re: CairnGorm Funicular - Operation stopped as safety precaution
Date Posted: 15.23hrs on Wed 24 Oct 18
alan Wrote:
An update from HIE:

The above statement states that the Ptarmigan will be closed until the Funicular is fixed. If Natural Retreats doesn't have the gumption to operate the Ptarmigan Restaurant by over snow transport then remove them and put it an operating entity that does.

Could there be scope for a community interest company made up of local businesses, community and a consortium interest of the the other Scottish Ski Areas to salvage something from this mess for the sake not just of Strathspey but the well being of Scottish snowsports as a whole?

Just read that....a few points though:-

QUTOE:-""We are also working with operator, CairnGorm Mountain Ltd (CML), to deliver the best possible skier experience without the funicular.
This includes exploring the acquisition of snowmaking technology at lower levels to enable the ski tows to operate when there is snow in the higher slopes but not lower down. It would also make the mountain more accessible for beginners and reduce congestion in other high traffic areas."""

So use huge amounts of power etc to produce artificial snow lower down..instead of using piste bully's to transport the customers to the top basin where there is lots of natural snow...not very "eco"...

QUOTE:-""Meanwhile the detailed structural investigation of the Cairngorm funicular is well underway. Some of the foundations for the structures supporting the tracks have been excavated for inspection.
This follows an issue raised in the annual engineer’s inspection of the funicular, concerning sliding plates and Ancon bearings. These are positioned between concrete parts of the structure to allow expansion in different temperatures.""

Err you forget you don't have ANY expansion joints in the railway concrete beams.or the metal x-ties to concrete.. only in the railway concrete beams to pier ..& those are not enough to take into account the frost/ground heave that the piers have suffered over the bad winters & the dry spell this year causing ground shrinkage...shoot the original engineers that you employed HIE...

QUOTE:-"In the next few weeks we hope to be able to publish the initial findings of the major review of all uplift infrastructure at Cairngorm. This will help steer future investment in the resort as part of the wider plan to create a world-class year-round attraction."".

WTF??….Really??..its abit late to do that considering you let the operator remove half the infrastructure that would have gotten them out of this situation...or if you had listened to us paying customers who you think know sod all.....

HIE.....deaf/blind/head buried in sand..making noises & muttering to itself "it'll go away....HIE loves HIE.."

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

DonaldM

Last Visited: 20:58
10th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 17.11hrs on Wed 24 Oct 18
Yes there could be scope for that and it should happen. Politicians must order HIE to be true to their high principles and allow the people of the Highlands to control their own assets.

Or are they a pro-clearance organisation?

TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.22hrs on Wed 24 Oct 18
On 11 October I sent the following email to info@cairngormmountain.co.uk

Other than the auto-response I have not received a reply. Tomorrow (Thu 25 October) will be 2 weeks. I will resend and copy-in HIE.

"Dear Sir/Madam

I am writing to seek reassurances regarding the operation of the snowsports area this coming winter season. I have read a number of press reports, including your press releases, regarding the current physical state of the Funicular infrastructure, and the corresponding impact on uplift capacity.

In May we renewed our Season Passes for our family - 2 adults and a 5yo and a 7yo. I am concerned that a further reduction in uplift capacity at Cairngorm may make the visitor experience so poor that I have, in effect, purchased an un-usable product.

If the Funicular is out of commission, my youngest child will not be able to access the Ptarmigan Bowl where he is likely to do the lion's share of his skiing. We purchased Season Passes for Cairngorm specifically because of the Funicular access to a reliably snow-sure beginner area with a café/shelter nearby.

I am concerned that withdrawal of the Funicular uplift will have a dramatic effect on uplift capacity/visitor experience at Cairngorm Mountain.

I appreciate that safety should always be the number one priority, but I would also like the following questions answered please;

Can you give a scheduled completion date for any remedial works planned?
Is Cairngorm Mountain currently planning to use the Funicular this winter season at all?
I note from your press release dated 11/10/18 that you state:
“A key component of the plan will be the potential to utilise snow making equipment at lower levels, making the mountainside accessible for beginners, and reducing congestion in other high traffic areas.”

– How many Snow Factories do you anticipate installing to guarantee uplift on the Lower Slopes?

If uplift remains restricted come the commencement of the snowsports season, will overall ticket sales be restricted to compensate for lack of uplift capacity? – I note that further Season Ticket sales have already been suspended.
If the Funicular cannot operate, will the Ptarmigan building (cafe/toilets) remain operational?
If Season Ticket holders feel that the service that they have purchased is not being provided, will Cairngorm Mountain refund the cost of the tickets.
Regards,"

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.52hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
have any season pass holders been offered a refund ?

Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 08.30hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
telemarker Wrote:

You jest !!!!!

bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 19.07hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
telemarker Wrote:

I have asked. Their first reply asked me to wait until the snow comes. I said no thanks and have had no reply since...

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 20.33hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
Any chance you put them on a credit card even initially?

TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.33hrs on Thu 25 Oct 18
I re-emailed my questions today, and copied in Cllr. Bill Lobban and Charlotte Wright from HIE. I haven't even received the automated response!

6966neil

Last Visited: 09:34
7th Mar 2019
Date Posted: 09.12hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
2017-18 lift pass refund is needed as well, not just 18/19!

I have asked for a partial refund on the 2017-18 ski pass as I know the precise dates the funicular has not been running. Several times I wanted to take friends & family up to see the views and have a cup tea and scone - the main reason for the funicular. I have lost use of precisely 25% of annual pass (June, September, October), so I suggested a 25% refund as logical compensation.

I have sent 2 emails to CML and got 0 responses or acknowledgements, apart from auto-response that says if matter is urgent email J Janssen at NR address, which I will do soon.

I fully expect I will be ignored, told an update is coming, or simply refused. I am sure I won't see 1p of compensation, and just told to look at the finest print on their T&Cs.

tupp

Date Posted: 11.29hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
6966neil Wrote:

I fully expect I will be ignored, told an update is coming, or simply refused. I am sure I won't see 1p of compensation, and just told to look at the finest print on their T&Cs.

Prepare for 2 complimentary tickets for the funicular to be sent out. Only valid for this October mind.

flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.57hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
I think you will end up in the small claims court to get season pass money back...the earlier you start...but i dont think you will get anything IMHO

they will offer snow sports if the previous articles are correct about snow making for drag tow uplift...means they have fulfilled the contract of your season pass

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already

cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.04hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
Must be a decent business opportunity for the Lecht and Glencoe.
Lease their snow factories to Cairngorm for exorbitant rates for one season and use the money to invest in a second unit next year.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
cmorrison Wrote:
Must be a decent business opportunity for the Lecht and Glencoe.
Lease their snow factories to Cairngorm for exorbitant rates for one season and use the money to invest in a second unit next year.

Now that would be great! Too late for the Lecht though, they have already gone public that 1st Dec will be their opening day 100% guranteed:

[www.scotsman.com]

kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18
6966neil Wrote:

I have asked for a partial refund on the 2017-18 ski pass as I know the precise dates the funicular has not been running. Several times I wanted to take friends & family up to see the views and have a cup tea and scone - the main reason for the funicular. I have lost use of precisely 25% of annual pass (June, September, October), so I suggested a 25% refund as logical compensation.

I have sent 2 emails to CML and got 0 responses or acknowledgements, apart from auto-response that says if matter is urgent email J Janssen at NR address, which I will do soon.

I feel sorry for you guys, Once a premiere ski resort has turned into an embarrassing dust.

Its so embarrassing for Cairngorm even Lecht has got a snow factory machine along with Glencoe who are investing in better technologies, where Cairngorm is stuck with a defunct Funicular railway, but if they didn't remove the chairlifts it would have been a life saver.

I hope you guys get your money back and go to other Ski centres where you will get better value for money.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.32hrs on Fri 26 Oct 18

If this link works, you can see that Cairngorm Mountain ski school is not going to operate this season!

[www.facebook.com]

Current Page:10 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: