You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Current Page:13 of 18
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Re: CairnGorm Funicular - Operation stopped as safety precaution
Date Posted: 18.10hrs on Wed 31 Oct 18
Aye there's that, I was just wondering if the Glenshee touring pass brouhaha last year might have got someone at CG stood in front of a 'how do we make any money now' whiteboard stroking their chin.

awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Wed 31 Oct 18
alan Wrote:

He who pays the piper and all that... we shall see, but I believe the consultants finished their work a while ago, are HIE redrafting?

As someone who has worked in the legal sector for some years now, "independent experts reports" are virtually always changed by the person instructing them and by extension paying them.

I predict another hatchet job but maybe I'm just being cynical due to Cairngorms previous strategic decisions.

Separate note: £1 million ehh. I forget, how much was it to reinstate the coire ciste chairlifts again. Hmmmm.

SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 19.42hrs on Wed 31 Oct 18
blockquote]awrightski Wrote: alan Wrote: Separate note: £1 million ehh. I forget, how much was it to reinstate the coire ciste chairlifts again. Hmmmm.

Don't worry £1million is nothing..

CGML can ask for £4million from HIE as per the lease.... mind you they have to also build a new Day Lodge as part of the lease agreement..

so retail development or being able to get skiers to the natural snow that falls???..

I wonder what HIE would prefer??…

bears, woods, do, sh1t, the, in.....

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---

what...snow

Last Visited: 11:21
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.29hrs on Thu 1 Nov 18
Hmm... There was a blog post on parkswatch earlier regarding the maintenance of the surface lifts at Cairngorm and then pffft, it disappeared. It’s a full time job just keeping up at the moment.

Neil

awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 20.57hrs on Thu 1 Nov 18
Apologies if already posted but more national press coverage:

BBC News - Cairngorms funicular could remain shut for ski season
[www.bbc.co.uk]

On HIE's investment in snowmaking equipment, Prof Crerar said: "This investment means that, even if the worst case scenario comes to pass and the funicular is out of action for the season, we can still look forward to a season of winter sports at Cairngorm, just as in any other year.

"Any other year" ok mate

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.58hrs Thu 1 Nov 18 by awrightski.

snowmonkey

Last Visited: 21:44
1st Nov 2018
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Thu 1 Nov 18
Cairngorm Mountain
@CairngormMtn
Aviemore and the surrounding Cairngorms National Park is home to 25% of Britain's threatened species.

Come and visit the mountain to be in with a chance of witnessing some fantastic wildlife displays (from friendly... [www.facebook.com] …

Oct 18, 2018
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just saw the above tweet. Does that 25% include local skiers and boarders?

:-)

Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 13.58hrs on Fri 2 Nov 18
I heard a representative from HIE on the BBC Scotland news on Wednesday afternoon.
How many times did she say "open for business"?
Didn't mention the parking charges and when asked about the funicular basically said "We have top men working on it" and when pushed reiterated "TOP MEN!".
Could not give any time scale and tried to bullshit about it being "very technical" which it isn't. It was just never done properly because it would have cost more and required real planning and oversight. Typical of short sighted management who can see no further than this years balance sheet. Very common in construction and infrastructure. Save a penny now, spend a pound later.
Transparent attempt to give the idea its business as usual and the snow making facilities they have (?) would solve all the problems relating to this season.

petebenson1002

Last Visited: 16:51
22nd Jan 2019
Re: CairnGorm Funicular
Date Posted: 07.56hrs on Sat 3 Nov 18
alan Wrote:
Here is the part of a collection of reports released under FOI by HIE regarding the Funicular.

HIE has until mid October to release further more recent reports on the condition of uplift on CairnGorm under a decision by the Scottish Information Commissioner to uphold an appeal against HIE's refusal to release the information on the grounds that do so would be prejudicial to the commercial interests of CairnGorm Mountain Ltd.

Does anyone know if the 2017 and 2018 annual structural survey reports have been released under the FOI requests?

The 2016 report made for an interesting read...

It would be interesting to know if NR/CML and or HIE have qualified structural/mechanical/civil engineers to interpret these reports, specify repairs and then supervise and sign off on the repairs. Also, the maintenance / inspection strategy should have been changed to account for the degrading structure clearly identified in 2016.

I am surprised how little in-house technical knowledge HIE has....they appear to get in consultants for just about everything. As owners of a complex facility (Cairngorm) they should have a lot of knowledge in-house. Consultants never tell you what to do, they only make recommendations.....

geoffers

Last Visited: 05:58
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 08.34hrs on Sat 3 Nov 18
petebenson1002 Wrote:

Does anyone know if the 2017 and 2018 annual structural survey reports have been released under the FOI requests?

Details coming here soon, apparently...

[www.winterhighland.info]

Cheers, Geoff

Doug_R

Date Posted: 00.04hrs on Mon 5 Nov 18
Couple of articles about Cairngorm on The Herald website today -

[www.heraldscotland.com]

[www.heraldscotland.com]

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 07.33hrs on Mon 5 Nov 18
A community buyout sounds like a very sensible solution to me. It would need good leadership but it might well enable the people who really care and understand Cairngorm to finally have a say in it. It might enable a strong voluntary aspect which would allow skiers and boarders some investment of their time also .
I’ll l
Fingers crossed for a positive outcome. A not insubstantial part of the future of Scottish (and UK) snowsport and community managed assets is at stake.

WickRatson

Last Visited: 17:42
29th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 08.00hrs on Mon 5 Nov 18
Great! I'll throw a few quid at it.

Suilven

Last Visited: 17:50
10th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 09.52hrs on Mon 5 Nov 18
Would the hydro schemes, an 'alpine coaster' or even the MTB trails proposed not be tied up in red tape/environmental impact assessments forever with the CNPA?

tim1mw

Date Posted: 19.51hrs on Mon 5 Nov 18
petebenson1002 Wrote:
I am surprised how little in-house technical knowledge HIE has....they appear to get in consultants for just about everything. As owners of a complex facility (Cairngorm) they should have a lot of knowledge in-house. Consultants never tell you what to do, they only make recommendations.....

Yes, but you can blame the consultants for making bad recommendations when things go wrong and take credit for yourself when things go right. It's not that HIE don't have in house expertise, they just want to make sure they have scapegoats lined up for all eventualities.

growwild

Date Posted: 02.11hrs on Tue 6 Nov 18
Make sure it's a real buy out and get the land!

Current Page:13 of 18
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: