You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12345
Current Page:5 of 5
awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Re: Another £1 million for Cairngorm
Date Posted: 09.12hrs on Fri 7 Dec 18
well at least they haven't put it in the windiest place in mainland Britain..... that would have just been silly........

WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 17.04hrs on Mon 10 Dec 18
A beautiful day on the mountain today, crisp all the way down to the village.
The snow factory was pumping out snow as was one of the T40 canons. 8 new canons waiting to be put to use.

Some hefty tie down points being welded to both sides of the snow factory.

Two T40s plus two T8s positioned at the return to the day lodge. T40 running and snow factory producing.

Six further T8s ready to be positioned.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17.09hrs Mon 10 Dec 18 by WindyMiller.

Attachments: snow factory operational.JPG (233kB)   New arivals.JPG (244kB)   Anchor Points.JPG (235kB)   Snow canons.JPG (245kB)  
Neil C

Date Posted: 06.39hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Amazing how the hardware turns up when its absolutely needed.
Just think how good it could actually be with a simple, cost effective lift strategy.

Looking ahead to this season, its going to be tough. I am strong and fit and wouldn't want to button/tbar top from bottom. No matter how much machine made snow you put under my feet!

01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.22hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
As previously communicated with Graeme yesterday, I think it best that as Winterhighlanders, we all, for this season at least, turn our eyes away from the disasters that have blighted CGM this autumn and in previous years.

With Natural Retreats out of the way, HIE showing through significant last-minute investment into snowmaking and at least some plans for uplift renewal, demonstrating that HIE are themselves supportive of skiing on the mountain.

Thus, it feels like a new chapter is about to start, and therefore, for at least this season, perhaps we should all make at least one day trip to CGM, support the shops and cafe's in Aviemore, Glenmore and Coylumbridge and show HIE that there is demand for skiing.

I'm saying this because part of me worries that if they get a quiet season, then they might give up altogether and an area of amazing terain will be lost forever.

Its crucial that they get just enough visitors so that the operation is busy, but not overstretched (perhaps 500-800 on the hill at any-one time) so that all is good.

Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 13.44hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Quote:
Thus, it feels like a new chapter is about to start

Feels like groundhog day to me.

HIEs unhealthy funicular obsession lead us to a bankrupt ski area back in 2010.
Since then things have gone full circle. Except the Ciste chairs and White Lady T-Bar are gone....

HIE are root of the problem, not the solution.

Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.53hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Neil C Wrote:
Just think how good it could actually be with a simple, cost effective lift strategy.

Looking ahead to this season, its going to be tough. I am strong and fit and wouldn't want to button/tbar top from bottom. No matter how much machine made snow you put under my feet!

with all due respect, if you have the ability to use T-bars and buttons/pomas AND you are strong and fit, uplift bottom to top should be no problem for you. All day.

Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 15.15hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Some of use are old and decrepit and need a sit down

Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.37hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Dunc Wrote:
Neil C Wrote:

with all due respect, if you have the ability to use T-bars and buttons/pomas AND you are strong and fit, uplift bottom to top should be no problem for you. All day.

Well, yes, maybe. But then if there was an option to go elsewhere where the uplift suited me better...
As a mountaineer, kayaker, cyclist and skier I have learned to live with pain, discomfort and effort over the years in pursuit of my kicks - but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't prefer an alternative sometimes. And actually, not everyone is strong and fit. Skiing isn't supposed to be an extreme endurance challenge.

kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.07hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
I will probably give it a go to visit Cairngorm this season, to show my support and hopefully a new buyer will take the centre forward with exciting new plans.

growwild

Date Posted: 20.47hrs on Sat 15 Dec 18
Good tae see em making snow at their first tows, save a walk....

Be interesting to see what depth they go for and how long it lasts, taking a guess I'd say if they hit the top of the fences it should last most the season.

Still think this is a good thing and could open up more investment throughout Scotland if they make use of it and make some volume instead of just skim coats.

Any chance of Big Al' getting a cam on it now some twats have jumped ship?

ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.46hrs on Mon 17 Dec 18
+1 on getting the Cams restored.

tbh i cant risk setting off from the central belt if uplift tickets will be restricted or the access road closed.

Getting cams back and having good customer info about uplift etc on the website is essential.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.57hrs on Thu 20 Dec 18
Out of interest (might have missed it). Is this equipment a short-term (one season) lease or is it bought for Cairngorm?

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 22.11hrs on Thu 20 Dec 18
ML Wrote:
Out of interest (might have missed it). Is this equipment a short-term (one season) lease or is it bought for Cairngorm?

The equipment has been bought outright by HIE - but belongs to HIE, if it had been grant funded to CML the administrators would have been cheering! eye popping smiley

Goto Page:  Previous12345
Current Page:5 of 5
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: