You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
bogbiker

Last Visited: 17:33
9th Apr 2019
Re: HIE reveals £27m 'new vision' for CairnGorm Mountain Ltd
Date Posted: 06.30hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
How to CG intend to update customers on snow conditions, and just as importantly, on road conditions? Updating their website several times a day won’t be an option. Surely they have to bring the page back when the season starts!
Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 13.23hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
The communication policy appears to be on no account should customers find out the truth before they arrive and hand over their money.
Its a shame they get so much media coverage because it makes people think the whole Scottish snow sports industry are like them, not to be trusted.
WickRatson

Last Visited: 17:42
29th Jan 2019
Date Posted: 16.36hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
Didn't they have that phone line you can ring for a pre recorded message!? Or am I imagining things!?
Bomp

Last Visited: 17:00
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.38hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
Yeah! They've got it on Ceefax too!

I remember the eighties, I was there.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.04hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
If only we could sort out some sort of internet based camera, a webcam if you will
tim1mw

Date Posted: 23.32hrs on Tue 13 Nov 18
bogbiker Wrote:
How to CG intend to update customers on snow conditions, and just as importantly, on road conditions? Updating their website several times a day won’t be an option. Surely they have to bring the page back when the season starts!

Updating a website several times a day is no more difficult than posting to Facebook, so that's not really a problem. They are also still likely to put stuff out on Twitter. I always check the websites (or the WinterHighland App, ok shameless self promotion....) not Facebook, it's usually quicker.

This is more about censorship of peoples comments than ability to disseminate snow reports.
SnowmanDave

Last Visited: 12:36
3rd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 09.09hrs on Wed 14 Nov 18
Going back to the meeting last week....

I did ask/state that are they thinking of ways to get people up to the top basin from the Cas as CGML have basically said nothing & it appears from the job losses that the whole top basin has ben abandoned...& how about running piste/cats up the travers with platforms on the back etc..

On of the work crew did state that they had been thinking about that solution but hey can't as insurance/health & safety & closing the Traverse..

What I should have asked him straight back is why are you or the person in control of the website/media relations NOT putting that info out??…

There is NO "we are working & looking at various solutions including this/that etc...just in case the funicular is totally closed..we will do out level best to keep the top bowl open"...

Nothing like that..just silence from what I can see...& people with kids from down south are planning xmas/easter hols in advance they need to know WTF is going on up there...CGML is not helping themselves...

It was the only time I disagreed with the work crew..who I know as I used to sell/deal with them..

---That was not a fall, I intended to do that!---
RobC

Date Posted: 13.20hrs on Wed 14 Nov 18
SnowmanDave Wrote:
Nothing like that..just silence from what I can see...& people with kids from down south are planning xmas/easter hols in advance they need to know WTF is going on up there...CGML is not helping themselves...

This is it. I was recently asked my advice on best ski area to choose for a family of 4 boarders coming up from England for the first time for half term in Feb with 10 and 8 year old kids who had only boarded in domes before. Unfortunately, the advice has to be stay clear of Cairngorm. Priority needs to be on non-surface uplift and ski tuition that you know is going to be available. Any other centre would fit the bill to a greater or lessor extent, but my recommendation was to base in/near Fort William and have the chairlifts of Glencoe with the new green runs and snowmaking investment plus also access to Nevis with nice wide blues under the quad chair when snow is good.

Compare and contrast the vision, investment, end product and future of Glencoe to Cairngorm over the past few years. It really is chalk and cheese.

There can't be anything other than a very significant further decline in market share this winter for Cairngorm with associated undermining of core revenues. Very detailed planning and wider consultation needed as soon as possible to get the vision for the rebirth of snowsports at Cairngorm correct.
Phil56

Last Visited: 10:15
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.46hrs on Wed 14 Nov 18
Sound like good advice to base yourself at FW and use Glencoe or Nevis Range. Although for me it would have to be Glenshee everytime. Caingorm is frustrating, overrated and last time I was there the ski hire open only 9.00 till 4.00. Going up to Glenshee from the South there are at least 6 places to hire, many open early.

Have to say that the information available on the Glenshee web site isn't the best. You'll get the same list of "is expected to open", which never materialises during the week. Mind you, I had a couple of Sundays there last winter and the slopes were ready for the early to get going from 8.30 onwards, with minimal queues and skiing till after 4.30. Having three chair lifts available from the car park gives you plenty of options to avoid the queues - there's never a queue at the three-chair Cairnwell lift if you can manage the ice at the top.

Get there early, pick up your hire on the way after Blairgowrie and have your lunch before 12.00 if you want to use the cafes, and you'll not see many queues.
bogbiker

9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 15.56hrs on Thu 15 Nov 18
tim1mw Wrote:
bogbiker Wrote:

Updating a website several times a day is no more difficult than posting to Facebook, so that's not really a problem. They are also still likely to put stuff out on Twitter. I always check the websites (or the WinterHighland App, ok shameless self promotion....) not Facebook, it's usually quicker.

This is more about censorship of peoples comments than ability to disseminate snow reports.

That would only potentially be true if you were sitting at a computer. Updating a website from a mobile device is significantly more time consuming than posting on Facebook. The updates from the ground team were most likely sent via mobile devices before anyone was even in the office. As for Twitter, CG are not great on Twitter and the majority of their tweets actually feed from Facebook. In conclusion, if they don’t fire up their Facebook page when the season starts then it is likely we’ll be saying goodbye to 7am updates - which are critical for many who are travelling to the hill.

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 15.58hrs Thu 15 Nov 18 by bogbiker.
TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Thu 15 Nov 18
Sadly, even some of the optimistic 7am updates still led to being sat in a Glenmore queue at 11.30am before being told a definite "No".
tim1mw

Date Posted: 00.32hrs on Sat 17 Nov 18
bogbiker Wrote:
That would only potentially be true if you were sitting at a computer. Updating a website from a mobile device is significantly more time consuming than posting on Facebook. The updates from the ground team were most likely sent via mobile devices before anyone was even in the office. As for Twitter, CG are not great on Twitter and the majority of their tweets actually feed from Facebook. In conclusion, if they don’t fire up their Facebook page when the season starts then it is likely we’ll be saying goodbye to 7am updates - which are critical for many who are travelling to the hill.

Cairngorm are using Wordpress for there website, which is the same software I use for my own website. I can put up a post on my website from a mobile device using the Wordpress interface with no more difficulty than it takes to post to Facebook from the same mobile device. So CG can do the same, all they need to do is give the relevant staff members an account with posting privileges, which is also no more difficult than authorising somebody to post on a Facebook page. Trust me, it's easy, this is what I do for a living.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.35hrs Sat 17 Nov 18 by tim1mw.
bogbiker

9th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 06.28hrs on Sat 17 Nov 18
tim1mw Wrote:
bogbiker Wrote:

Cairngorm are using Wordpress for there website, which is the same software I use for my own website. I can put up a post on my website from a mobile device using the Wordpress interface with no more difficulty than it takes to post to Facebook from the same mobile device. So CG can do the same, all they need to do is give the relevant staff members an account with posting privileges, which is also no more difficult than authorising somebody to post on a Facebook page. Trust me, it's easy, this is what I do for a living.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 00.35hrs Sat 17 Nov 18 by tim1mw.

This is what I do for a living too.. and I can be positive that 99% of staff members will be significantly happier posting on Facebook that doing anything on website, regardless of the perceived difficulty.
growwild

Date Posted: 21.38hrs on Sun 18 Nov 18
The resorts that update their sites could be targeting a whole new group of sensible folk that don't use social media tae project false..

I'm no web nerd but know enough tae say it' aint hard updating a site these days and giving all staff members access tae business accounts is asking for trouble..

tim1mw

Date Posted: 11.07hrs on Mon 19 Nov 18
bogbiker: That's not my experience, so I think we'll have to agree to differ on that one, I've had enough of defending Cairngorm...

growwild: I agree, I think the website should always be the primary conduit and it's a lot easier to control what staff are allowed to do on your own website vs a Facebook page so it's much safer from a business perspective.
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:6 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: