You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Re: HIE reveals £27m 'new vision' for CairnGorm Mountain Ltd
Date Posted: 11.55hrs on Fri 9 Nov 18
Luckily Aviemore is just inside Kate Forbes' constituency & not every landowner's friend Fergus Ewing.
Niall Thomson

Last Visited: 04:54
3rd Aug 2019
Date Posted: 12.28hrs on Fri 9 Nov 18
Aye but he's directly responsible for both HIE and the FCS. In other words he is the one that needs to be lobbied as it is he who ultimately has to go in there and kick ass.

In my experience he's highly unlikely to be doing anything radical - the SG needs to work with these civil servants on a range of key issues and so discipline at that level is rarely meated out. Nobody will get fired over this.

If a community group is to emerge they need consensus and joint working across tourism, sport, economic development, communities etc. The press can also be very useful - Rob Edwards is always very interested in FOI / Environmental driven issues :-)
Gorminator

Last Visited: 15:45
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 16.55hrs on Fri 9 Nov 18
Been to a few meetings, about this long term fiasco, Niall Thomson with Fergus Ewing.

Can't think of a much better way to have wasted my time !!!
TroutWrestler

Last Visited: 18:01
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.42hrs on Fri 9 Nov 18
Is it me or has all the excitement caused the Cairngorm Mountain Facebook page to be taken down?

What is going on? Can anyone see the hill? Are there still any lights on up there?
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 00.06hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
Natural Retreats have deleted the CML Facebook. Ops 2 said at the Community Trust AGM that they had to take down what was the 3rd most popular ski area page on Facebook because of vile abuse directed at staff and that the behaviour on the page was way beyond the pale.

No doubt there will have been some completely unacceptable posts, because we get it from time to time. I've not seen any recently and people making fun of what recently were complete howler after complete howler of posts is not 'vile abuse'. The shambles with the CML Facebook helps underline the problem of having much of the management function of CML outwith Scotland, never mind the locality.

It sends out a terrible message when other bodies are trying to make the point that Strathspey is open for business. 84k followers now won't get updates, they will see that the page is gone.

Hopefully Natural Retreats will soon follow, because their removal is now the best hope of getting people back to CairnGorm this winter! It should be clear from the now deleted Facebook Page that there is no way back for Natural Retreats, CairnGorm can not succeed with them in situ, too many people wont go back until they are gone.

Looking back over the longer history of the CML Facebook page, how does CML think banning customer after customer for offering a legitimate opinion or in many cases merely asking a question is going to encourage these people to revisit CairnGorm?
TroutWrestler

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 09.35hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
Thanks. They are sadly failing to respond to emails too. On 27 October I was told that there would be an update for all season pass holders "early next week".
Two weeks later and I still haven't received anything. A subsequent email has not been answered.
JollyDee

Last Visited: 11:03
11th Aug 2019
Date Posted: 10.09hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
Natural Retreats have been subsidising CML for the last 3 years - £2million at least. If they pull out HIE are going to have to find someone equally as stupid.
Beastie

17th May 2020
Date Posted: 10.22hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
How's your diary looking for next winter?
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 11.45hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
Me too I was wondering why Cairngorm natural retreats facebook page not shown.

This is clearly not good for business especially when so many folks would want to know what are the latest updates regarding situation with Cairngorm ski centre.
TroutWrestler

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 16.31hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
TBH is is an admission that CGM/NR's communications are failing. Facebook can be difficult to manage at the best of times and there is no excuse for abusive or threatening comments ever.

My take on this is that it is indicative of both the level of dismay/concern/anger being felt by customers/Strathspey locals/businesses AND the inability of CGM/NR to communicate their message effectively. Generally people who feel that they are "in the loop" won't spend time asking awkward questions on facebook.

Have ANY Season Ticket holders heard from CGM/NR?
alan

Last Visited: 22:28
10th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 16.54hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
JollyDee Wrote:
Natural Retreats have been subsidising CML for the last 3 years - £2million at least. If they pull out HIE are going to have to find someone equally as stupid.

Looks pretty clear you are on a fishing trip. That aside, even if what you said was the case then that would tell you all you need to know about why NAIL needs to go.

When the company was in the public sector it was generating cash for HIE. So to take it from generating a cash surplus to losing 40% of your market share in 4 seasons and posting a loss each financial year... what a damning indictment of Natural Retreats tenure.

remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 22.19hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
shame they deleted fb, it's parody-level incompetence was getting pretty funny. still it's not the first organisation to confuse "legitimate questions and criticism" with "vile abuse" and it sure wont be the last.

they deserved quite a lot of the mocking they got thought, i mean they posted a pic of glenshee at one point FFS (which it turns out was the top google image result for "road to cairngorms). i saw some wildlife type posts featuring decidedly not-local species too (IIRC american squirrels, or groundhogs or something?).

fair enough succeeding at social-based promotion is a bit hit and miss but that's amateur hour stuff, in fact an enthusiastic amateur would probably have actually been up the hill so maybe would've done better smiling smiley

that aside, i really hope this gets sorted, aviemore is a great town and deserves better. it's been really sad watching things go all to funk up there. that HIE plan doesn't IMO completely suck as a starting point, bit of tweaking here and there (preferably by the aviemore trust folks) and i'd be up there with board, bike and bells on!
growwild

Date Posted: 23.16hrs on Sat 10 Nov 18
Most companies gave up their websites when the fudbook fad hit, for that reason I'll give them half a point but it's shows them for what they are if they expect only love online yet are false as fook at the same time and most here ain't daft, so I have a little faith in Scottish social side of media a wee wee tiny wee bit the odd time..

If they update their own and do a good site with a blog of sorts then fair play, but if they are hiding then it just adds tae the ammo against them.

Beastie

17th May 2020
Date Posted: 12.13hrs on Sun 11 Nov 18
A lot of organisations seem to still be grappling with the whole bollocks-can-be-instantly-debunked-by-people-with-internet-connections-who-speak-to-each-other thing.
remote_patrol

Last Visited: 22:53
20th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.07hrs on Sun 11 Nov 18
@beastie yeah exactly, but such debunking is "vile abuse directed at staff members" of course!
Goto Page:  Previous1234567Next
Current Page:5 of 7
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: