You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Deibitto

Last Visited: 07:32
8th Apr 2021
Advice for beginners in light of Cairngorm issues
Date Posted: 12.02hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Hi All

Been an avid reader of this excellent site for a couple of years but yet to contribute (so a big thank you to those operating and contributing to it!). I'm in need of some advice from those who know the Scottish resorts better than I do (I have skied Nevis, Glencoe and Cairngorm once each but as a fairly advanced skier and without others).

My family are thinking of a Highland trip end Feb / start of March. My wife won't be skiing due to pregnancy and we will also have a 2 year-old who won't ski. We'd like our 4 year-old to have lessons though for the first time. I'd also like the opportunity for a day or two touring if possible but if not at least some interesting piste runs.

So our original thinking was to base ourselves somewhere in Spey valley within reach of both the Lecht and Cairngorm. Thought we could start out with couple of days at Lecht, lessons for 4 year-old and sledging for 2 year-old. Then for me and 4 year-old to move to Cairngorm while other half of the family takes in local attractions like Reindeer centre.

Question is, without the funicular will Cairngorm be a mess for beginners? Restricting ourselves to only the Lecht seems to practically discount any worthwhile skiing for myself while Glencoe and Nevis appear less suitable to beginners - particularly young ones. Any thoughts most appreciated.
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Re: Advice for beginners in light of Cairngorm issues
Date Posted: 12.30hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
As it currently stands, I think there will be plenty of low-level skiing at Cairngorm, with artificial snow to keep it working.

The crunch is that if you plan on going at weekends of febuary half-term, it could be very busy as the Car-Park T-Bar will be a bottleneck.

If you plan on going at peak periods, go for a weekend and spend the Monday at Cairngorm or alternatively ski the Lecht then Glenshee, which is feel is quite beginner friendly.
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 12.36hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
go to the lecht

great day lodge overlooking the beginners area outside (wife will be happy)

magic carpet and lecht is where my two first put on planks

not difficult for dad to pop off and do a few harder runs without going too far out of sight of mum and kids

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
ESD1711

Last Visited: 06:17
13th Feb 2019
Date Posted: 12.54hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Glenshee would be my 'one size fits all' answer.
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 13.50hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Quote:
Glencoe and Nevis appear less suitable to beginners - particularly young ones.

New Coire Pollach tow has transformed Glencoe for learners.

Taught my 4 year old boy to ski at Glencoe last winter. Between Plateau poma and Coire Pollach, plus new snow fences, there is a brilliant triangle of beginner runs which are also quite sheltered from wind (by Scottish standards!).

The wee man even managed to ski back to the car park down the new road - which is like an alpine piste when well covered with snow. Slept all the way home after that :-)
Deibitto

Last Visited: 07:32
8th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.49hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Thanks all. We'll be travelling outside school holidays and weekends (last year we can so making most of it). Seems our options remain pretty open. What I liked about Aviemore was it felt more like a base resort than others (which I though helps for non-skiers). So even though I personally preferred the skiing at Glencoe and Nevis, I was attracted to Lecht/Cairngorm combo overall this time. For Glenshee was also a bit more concerned at snow given we're coming from Bristol and can't leave it to last minute to book. Will think a bit more on the matter.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.49hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Base yourself between Lecht and Glenshee. A few days at Lecht then move on to Glenshee. Whilst Cairngorm might turn out OK, there is a big risk that it wont.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 15.12hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
ESD1711 Wrote:
Glenshee would be my 'one size fits all' answer.

Me too. Access chair can be scary for a new kid at Glencoe though I dare say lifties can be asked nicely to stop it and let you walk off instead of skiing.

PS welcome to the forum always nice to have new blood smiling smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15.13hrs Tue 11 Dec 18 by Beastie.
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.30hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
You might struggle to find lessons for a 4 year old. I did for mine.

Otherwise you won't go wrong at any of the resorts but I would definitely go with Lecht as the most young kid friendly. Cafe beside the beginners slopes, toy to play on, magic carpets for learning.
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 18.15hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Go to Lecht, there is simply no better place to learn with magic carpets and a nice gentle novice run, more than likely it will be guaranteed to have snow cover throughout the season, as they have snow factory that can produce snow in any conditions, You have a very modern café with balcony over looking the ski area,

You can either go to Glenshee or Cairngorm depending on your circumstances.

Alpin Bear

Date Posted: 18.41hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Has to be the Lecht for the 4yr old. Taught my two when they were 4 there. Great little penguin park with rope tow and slalom tyres in shape of nessie and also hops to ski under. There also a device that spins towing the kids behind in either a tube or on their skis. Easy to get back to thecar and day lodge if 4yr old is happy everyone will be. Lecht have invested alot in getting it right for young kids once rope tow mastered can move to the magic carpets or the small poma. Ther is also a chair should they progress well enough for a longer run
Jcsb36

Last Visited: 21:25
25th May 2020
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
I took my 5 year old to lecht last year and the magic carpet was excellent for teaching. Thy will only do private lessons with young children which was an issue. I only managed one hours private each day but she was doing the magic carpet runs by herself wth turns and stopping so I would highly recommend it.
Phil56

Last Visited: 10:15
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.05hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
Go to Glenshee - you can sit in the cafe, with the school, lifts, nursery slope, car-park, etc. are all within a minute or two walk. (Of course, if it's a busy weekend then you will have a longer walk to the car, (but it's not that busy during the week if it's not half term). Check with Freshtracks for ski-lessons for a 4 y/o (and hire if it fits with the direction you are travelling), they are just before the spital and open early. You can phone the day before to reserve kit and pick it up on the way. Cheaper than the Glenshee centre's offering and better quality IMO.

Stay in Braemar and have the option of the Lecht too - don't know about hire on that side of Glenshee.
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 21.56hrs on Tue 11 Dec 18
About 5 years ago Glencoe used to just have the Plateau run for beginners. This has been transformed now with 2 or 3 options back down to the poma and the introduction of the Coire Pollach tow. It's now a fantastic place for young kids to learn and to also easily progress to taking the Cliffy chair up and try the Mugs Alley options.
It's better for wee kids to learn on drag lifts and with my personal experience of under 7's skiing there, Glencoe is definitely 'beginner friendly'.

Going back to the original post though, it's all going to depend on conditions. I'd say the Glenshee/Lecht option (based at Braemar) or the Glencoe/Nevis range option based anywhere from Ballachulish to An Gearanach (Fort William) are your two main choices.
Plenty of accommodation available in either scenario.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.29hrs on Wed 12 Dec 18
Went to Lecht earlier this year for first time and thought they had a great setup for beginners. And like Glenshee the fact that you can walk to the easy stuff from the car without the need to get on a chair as your first taste of skiing gives them an advantage for more nervous little ones over Glencoe. Having said that, and to echo the others above, the plateau at GC is very beginner friendly now and once the new chair is installed will be even better.
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: