You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
growwild

Re: Phoenixed into public ownership - CML slash ticket prices!
Date Posted: 20.29hrs on Thu 20 Dec 18
If there was only a million avaliable for snowmaking, which I doubt. Only one could realy benefit tae make something worth while outta that cash and sadly cairngorms is then only one thats viable as Aviemore and plenty of digs are close by..

The Lecht and Glencoe for their sizes and the different markets they attract would be a better testing ground for something that's proven tae work everywhere else in the world.. Glencoe's probably better for the near bulk of the population but still needs more digs... Best earning pubs in the west of Scotland have a steady trade every day of the week with a bit extra at the weekend and they ain't huge....

Cairngorms is gonna get it no matter what for multiple reasons and fighting HIE if they run the show wont do much if anyone wants input on whats happening or could happen..
telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 09.43hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
No way would I pay £37 even if the Furniclar open.
£27.50, perhaps....if I am not at Glencoe, Nevis, or even Glenshee
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.48hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
telemarkmark Wrote:
No way would I pay £37 even if the Furniclar open.
£27.50, perhaps....if I am not at Glencoe, Nevis, or even Glenshee

I would agree. At 'normal' prices, Cairngorm has for many years now been the most expensive Scottish ski area, and the one that delivers the worst experience.
Doug_Bryce

Date Posted: 10.57hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
re : prices.... how much is a Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino in the storehouse this winter ? ;-)

alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 11.23hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
Doug_Bryce Wrote:
re : prices.... how much is a Starbucks Caramel Frappuccino in the storehouse this winter ? ;-)

Wonder when CML last paid for the beans? Perhaps Starbucks repossessed the coffee machines!! eye popping smiley

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.24hrs Fri 21 Dec 18 by alan.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 11.27hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
alan Wrote:
Doug_Bryce Wrote:

Wonder when CML last paid for the beans? Perhaps Starbucks repossessed the coffee machines!!

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 11.24hrs Fri 21 Dec 18 by alan.

I believe NR sold them some magic ones a while back
ropetow

Last Visited: 09:08
13th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 15.35hrs on Fri 21 Dec 18
Cant get worked up over this - with the limited amount of uplift then they need to cut the price.

For the season ticket holders, price cutting after you have bought is just the way of the world and not unique to cairngorm. I've bought quite a few things in advance that turned out to be not quite as good a deal as i'd thought.

In times of limited uplift and restricted ticket sales - a season ticket does still give priority access over the folks who rock up on the day does it not?

sspeirs

Last Visited: 09:59
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 06.50hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
jabuzzard Wrote:
The public ownership in of itself is probably illegal state aid. Remember the UK had to get special permission to take RBS, HBoS and the rest into public ownership back in 2008. The last time it happened nobody was complaining so they got away with it.

I don't know the details so I could be wrong - was the ski resort ever *not* in public ownership? And were NR just granted something like an operations license?

Regardless, now with the funicular in such a state, having HIE fix it is probably the only option - no-one in their right minds would touch Cairngorm now.

However you have to ask .... with a repair bill likely to be £10M or more I a guessing, how many chair lifts could you buy? Would a better option not be to remove the funicular (which I know would cost a huge amount too - not sure how much) and replace with Gondola & Chairlift(s).
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 09.23hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
Mountainaddict Wrote:
Imagine the response on here if they'd left the price at £37...

Surely visitor numbers will be decimated regardless - to the benefit of the other ski areas?

It's the overall local economy that I feel sorry for and am inclined to support through a visit or two to Cairngorm - possibly starting with some ski touring next weekend....

Well this is my thought, and as a result, i'll be skiing there this winter, for the first time in years. I don't care so much about the amount HIE are spending at the moment, as long as I get to go skiing, yes, selfish I know!!!

I hope that HIE consider offering partial re-funds to those with season passes, or perhaps some other offer like vouchers for food.

I will of course be supporting Nevis Range & Glencoe, my two usual areas as well, but I just hope that the weather cools down soon!

Tourer

Last Visited: 22:06
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 12.20hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
So they have cut the price of day tickets due to the ongoing problems and you all whinge,
If they kept the prices the same as last year I am sure you would all whinge.
If they increased prices I am positive that you would all whinge.

They can't win..

They honour season tickets and you whinge.
If they didn't honour season tickets I am positive that you would all whinge.

They magic up some money for snowmaking and you lot whinge.
If they did nothing, you lot would whinge even more.

Whinge whinge whinge, and I am now whingeing about you lot whingeing.

Whilst the goings on up there in recent years are terrible, what exactly do you want them to do so save this season? If you are so sure that you would do a better job then why didn't you buy CML from the administrators?

Ah thought so - keyboard warriors without the balls to put your money where your mouth is.

whinge whinge whinge.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 13.09hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
Did you copy and paste the word whinge 15 times? lol
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 14.17hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
Tourer Wrote:
So they have cut the price of day tickets due to the ongoing problems and you all whinge,
If they kept the prices the same as last year I am sure you would all whinge.
If they increased prices I am positive that you would all whinge.

They can't win..

They honour season tickets and you whinge.
If they didn't honour season tickets I am positive that you would all whinge.

They magic up some money for snowmaking and you lot whinge.
If they did nothing, you lot would whinge even more.

Whinge whinge whinge, and I am now whingeing about you lot whingeing.

Whilst the goings on up there in recent years are terrible, what exactly do you want them to do so save this season? If you are so sure that you would do a better job then why didn't you buy CML from the administrators?

Ah thought so - keyboard warriors without the balls to put your money where your mouth is.

whinge whinge whinge.

My beef about this is about HIE rather than hill operations and unfair behaviour by it as a predominantly tax payer funded public agency using it's position to undercut the standard ticket price of all four commercial areas that have to stand on their own to feet. It's unfair, its anticompetitive and it could even be unlawful.

Some price reduction under the circumstances would be acceptable and understandable, but to slash ticket prices to below every other areas standard ticket price - as a public body that seems wrong, they can't go bust!
01cookjk

Last Visited: 09:09
6th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.32hrs on Sat 22 Dec 18
alan Wrote:

My beef about this is about HIE rather than hill operations and unfair behaviour by it as a predominantly tax payer funded public agency using it's position to undercut the standard ticket price of all four commercial areas that have to stand on their own to feet. It's unfair, its anticompetitive and it could even be unlawful.

Some price reduction under the circumstances would be acceptable and understandable, but to slash ticket prices to below every other areas standard ticket price - as a public body that seems wrong, they can't go bust!

What about Glencoe's Midweek Pass @ £25?
alan

27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Sun 23 Dec 18
01cookjk Wrote:
What about Glencoe's Midweek Pass @ £25?

Glencoe's standard ticket price is £32, the £25 is not just mid-week but off peak and it has never applied during holiday periods. This is discriminatory pricing - the ski area has a finite capacity that was over stretched at peak times and under utilised outwith, it has clearly had the desired effect in spreading the demand out so the overall capacity through the season is better utilised.

However the more general point is that Glencoe is not a public sector entity. It's not thus in a position of can not fail, it is not in a position where it can charge less than a commercially sustainable price and continue in business indefinitely.

CairnGorm Mountain is now immune to financial gravity because the public purse stands behind the operating company, being in that position and slashing prices to undercut all 4 fully commercial operators full ticket price when as a public sector body you can not fail is an abuse of HIE's position and an example of predatory pricing against the interests of the other four snowsports areas.

This is another example of why HIE's ownership of the CairnGorm estate is problematic. What we have here is a significant and unavoidable conflict of interest.

It would serve everyone better if the Cairngorm Estate was transferred to a different public body so there would be greater transparency and a fundamentally more equatable, fair and open relationship between HIE and the four snow sports areas in it's patch.

telemarkmark

Last Visited: 11:11
8th Dec 2020
Date Posted: 15.07hrs on Sun 23 Dec 18
I guess Tourer has a good point, we should do our best to support the (new) venture
Goto Page:  Previous123Next
Current Page:2 of 3
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: