You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Rich_T

Last Visited: 19:26
5th Jun 2020
Re: Latest Season Start?
Date Posted: 16.32hrs on Wed 9 Jan 19
Norseman Wrote:
Wasn’t 1988/89 a very late start?
I remember getting a great deal on a new pair if skis in late January because there had been little or no skiing at that point and therefore no demand for equipment.

I believe 1988/89 was one of the worst seasons ever. I was only a child at the time, but I remember it being on the national TV news.
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 23.23hrs on Wed 9 Jan 19
Rich_T Wrote:
Norseman Wrote:
Wasn’t 1988/89 a very late start?
I remember getting a great deal on a new pair if skis in late January because there had been little or no skiing at that point and therefore no demand for equipment.
I believe 1988/89 was one of the worst seasons ever. I was only a child at the time, but I remember it being on the national TV news.

1989/90 reached the point were most thought we'd not ski at all, then 1991/92 was arguably the worst to date in mechanised skiing with the Coire Cas Tow scoring just 6 days of operation. Three seasons out of four that were bad or very late starting, lead to all the doom mongering that Scottish Skiing would not see out the 1990s.

The 89/90 season got underway with ONE THIRD of the Cas T-bar in use from the top of the Gunbarrel on the Saturday after Valentines day IIRC re the date.

Interesting point - I believe the earliest ever season finish at Glencoe came before the latest ever season start, but there's never been a season where tows didn't spin.
kaiserpc

Last Visited: 15:39
31st Mar 2020
Date Posted: 10.45hrs on Wed 23 Jan 19
alan Wrote:
1989/90 reached the point were most thought we'd not ski at all, then 1991/92 was arguably the worst to date in mechanised skiing with the Coire Cas Tow scoring just 6 days of operation. Three seasons out of four that were bad or very late starting, lead to all the doom mongering that Scottish Skiing would not see out the 1990s.

The 89/90 season got underway with ONE THIRD of the Cas T-bar in use from the top of the Gunbarrel on the Saturday after Valentines day IIRC re the date.

Interesting point - I believe the earliest ever season finish at Glencoe came before the latest ever season start, but there's never been a season where tows didn't spin.

I started skiing at Cairngorm the year after the "worst year" - I'm pretty sure it was 92/93 after getting a job and finally having some disposable income. We Skied nearly every week from early January to late May - I thought it was like that every year :-) Amazing snow depth over the whole mountain
BennDavie

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 11.00hrs on Sat 16 Feb 19
I remember working the top t bar at glencoe offloading two towers from the top, had to sit on the shed roof to see skiers dismount with a broom handle to press the emergency button.
(aye got bollocked by ski patrol at lunch too for not being in the shed)
Goto Page:  Previous12
Current Page:2 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: