You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
BennDavie

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Feb 2021
Re: Glencoe non-conditions chat
Date Posted: 12.23hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
I think there have been some really valid points raised amongst any vitriol spouted and maybe people should resist kneejerk reactions to comments and think about what is actually being said.
Some people feel a twisted sense of loyalty to resorts and blindly defend any action or comment from those resorts, when in reality they are just cash streams, to be secured at all costs.
A friend, whom a lot of us on here know and whos reports were highly regarded, had his facebook account sanctioned and was banned from a certain west coast resort for simply providing honest accurate condition reports, unfortunately, these included criticism of the regime.(just for clarity he is now riding at the Coe).
People should really wake up and smell the turd the resorts are polishing continuously.
Most are still working on the old chestnut of " tell a lie often enough and it will become truth".
I've been sking The white Corries almost exclusively for over 15 years and have seen a lot of changes over that time.
Seems the emphasis has changed from being "The mighty Coe", gnarliest of all Scottish ski resorts, to "Glencoe mountain" the UK's premier sledging venue.
"We're not opening the cliffy today cos there's holes and rocks"
I understand that at the end of the day these resorts are businesses and as a business, The focus has always been and always will be profit.
This seems to come at the expense of the character of the mountain and the environment.
I would like to see the hill treated with a little more respect to be honest.
Words are cheap and easy, action is what matters.
I have worked on environmental works in the highlands for over 20 years, focussing mostly on trail work including a stint running an SQA accredited environmental conservation training course. and have encountered businesses and organisations with fairly robust environmental policies on paper, whos actual practices are appalling, and simply hide behind words.unforunately all the ski areas would fall into this category.
It seems that on the job training by unqualified and untrained staff is, unfortunately, the norm in the industry, or more like "don't worry you'll work it out for yourself son."
I LOVE THE COE I LOVE SKIING BUT I DO HATE LIARS AND BITCHES!
I have a good relationship with the staff at the coe and dont really want to rock my own boat .
My names Davie I live in Kinlochleven,
Stop hiding behind forum usernames you fukin verminous middleclass trash and face up/man up.

THIS land IS OUR land.

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 12.35hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
In addition to my last post I will say that of all the Ski areas, Andy is the only one who is actually open to feedback from punters, good or bad.and will respond personally. Good man for that.

THIS land IS OUR land.

eltankos

Last Visited: 10:14
30th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 13.01hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
splittymcsplitface Wrote:
Split,

That's enough thank you.

Is this a case of "split" personality? Hohoho

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 14.58hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Davie, I certainly take on board that we could always do things better and appreciate all comments good and bad as the bad ones allow us to see where we still have to improve.
I actually think it's vital if the Coe is to survive that we are both the Mighty Coe and a great resort for beginners and sledgers. Two years ago we had only 4,600 skiers for the whole winter, the only reason we survived was the 13,000 sledgers who bought chairlift tickets, filled the cafes and ensured that we had enough money in the bank to pay wages and stay afloat.
If this turns into another dreadful winter and the only thing that keeps us afloat is the beginners area and sledging area then personally I am all for that.
Maybe in the old days the Cliffy ran on days when there was no viable run back down but we have a duty of care to our customers when there are more rocks and holes than run not to open.
We'll continue to do the best we can with the hand we are dealt and continue to work together as an industry to support each other. The five Scottish ski areas constantly work together and support each other where they can through 2 organisations the marketing group Ski Scotland and ASSA (Association of Scottish Ski Areas). It would be really great if everyone on this forum could just get behind the whole industry in what is proving to be a very challenging season. Andy

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.40hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Cheers I can't argue with that Andy, I understand the importance of diversification in the survival of the centre and the industry as a whole.And your importance within the local economy.16,000 sledgers is a significant revenue stream
And everyone has to start somewhere.
These are indeed difficult times some would say largely as a result of blatant disregard for the environment.
As I stated in my post you are at least prepared to answer for yourself.
My gripe is more with slack environmental practice Andy and not just at the ski centres but throughout the leisure industry in Scotland, And the general denial and bullshit to excuse it. It really gets my goat
A policy is one thing, practice should not be different, but sadly this usually is the case.
Glencoe is far from the worst here by the way.
Nevis has absolutely apalling environmental practice.despite what they may have on paper.
I believe it's called "lip service"

THIS land IS OUR land.

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.42hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
even 13,000 sledgers is great, should have my glasses on.

ML

Last Visited: 15:59
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 17.08hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
igloo4you Wrote:
Davie, I certainly take on board that we could always do things better and appreciate all comments good and bad as the bad ones allow us to see where we still have to improve.
I actually think it's vital if the Coe is to survive that we are both the Mighty Coe and a great resort for beginners and sledgers. Two years ago we had only 4,600 skiers for the whole winter, the only reason we survived was the 13,000 sledgers who bought chairlift tickets, filled the cafes and ensured that we had enough money in the bank to pay wages and stay afloat.
If this turns into another dreadful winter and the only thing that keeps us afloat is the beginners area and sledging area then personally I am all for that.
Maybe in the old days the Cliffy ran on days when there was no viable run back down but we have a duty of care to our customers when there are more rocks and holes than run not to open.
We'll continue to do the best we can with the hand we are dealt and continue to work together as an industry to support each other. The five Scottish ski areas constantly work together and support each other where they can through 2 organisations the marketing group Ski Scotland and ASSA (Association of Scottish Ski Areas). It would be really great if everyone on this forum could just get behind the whole industry in what is proving to be a very challenging season. Andy

Good post! I think you have to be critical and supportive on all resorts. Things can go wrong but only saying "booooo" behing a laptop is easy.

I always like the way you post in regard to glencoe questions, even if some are harsh/or to direct.

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 17.47hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
"Maybe in the old days the Cliffy ran on days when there was no viable run back down but we have a duty of care to our customers when there are more rocks and holes than run not to open."
Except for today of course when walking off the cliffy chair onto a slippery wet platform in high wind wearing ski boots carrying skis and poles with less snow cover to return on,is all good.
Sorry man but..consistency please.

igloo4you

Last Visited: 16:28
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 18.03hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Davie, Ski patrol assess the runs and deem whether they are suitable for opening or not, in your earlier post you were complaining we don't open the Cliffy often enough, now you claim we shouldn't have opened it today. have you considered it may be you that needs a consistent argument. We have systems and processes in place which dictate when we open runs and lifts and when we don't, the rational behind our decision making may not always be obvious to our customers but we have highly experienced members of staff making these decisions.

growwild

Date Posted: 19.05hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
It came across tae a few folk that I know that lurk here that sledging was getting more attention than other things at times and that post cleared up a few things, respects due for being open and yer honesty....

Has there ever been another look at putting a big trout pond behind the plateau cafe for a wee hydro system?

My offer still stands tae help out with trees and any other thing ya need bodies for, fencing and shit like that if it would benefit the place and help pockets oot with some freeish labour.... I'll take the piss no matter what too, don't mean I don't care ....

I've also nae class so can remain hidden...

paraffin

Date Posted: 19.44hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Anybody recognise the location in the opening sequence of Shetland S5 Ep1 on BBC iPlayer?

telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.45hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Yup
After thinking there are no chairlifts on Shetland smiling smiley
And recognising Rannoch moor

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 20.47hrs Wed 13 Feb 19 by telemarker.

Attachments: A026AC82-9EA5-49E9-8800-64AABCA4FE5C.jpeg (169kB)  
growwild

Date Posted: 21.06hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Handy having somewhere for planes tae land so close to the resort

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 21.14hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
New Rannoch moor bypass?
Excellent
Should ease ski centre congestion on the A82 at peak times.

Andy

Last Visited: 08:47
2nd May 2019
Date Posted: 21.38hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
I'm more concerned with the environmental practices of a large proportion of the esatates in Scotland.....the persecution of every other living thing so a few privileged folk can shoot some daft birds. To me somewhere like drumochter looks more like a disaster zone than a few bits of rusty metal.

Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:2 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: