You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
paraffin

Re: Glencoe non-conditions chat
Date Posted: 21.59hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
What a stunning location the ski centre is in.
I’ve lost count of the number of films and adverts filmed in and around there.
From memory I think Hitchcock’s 39 Steps may have been one of the first.
Anyone care to mention a few others?

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.03hrs Wed 13 Feb 19 by paraffin.
growwild

Date Posted: 22.32hrs on Wed 13 Feb 19
Bypass with a toll booth could raise some revenue if air traffic control book slots...

The forestry commission have mostly planted a lotta shit over the years too, only living thing in most their 'forests' is pish trees wi nae soul.. Our ski resort cover a tiny percentage of the vast amount of feck all out there so I believe they should be allowed tae do some serious ground works...

Was chatting to someone who was moaning about the kings house and when I said they should develop right up tae the resort he nearly had a heart attack... Fae the A82 up as far as they'd go I'd have a mixture of trees and a mixture sized load of cabins dotted about fae near the road tae the main centre , 5 - 10 years it would look a lot better than it is now and bring in some coin and be full of life.. It'd need snow making and something good for bikes that 2 chairs and a digger could provide easy...

When I look at Scottish resorts compared tae resorts in others countries at different latitudes and heights I pretty much see blank canvas's.. There's a lotta money up and around Glencoe and I think the resort with the right investment would be a wee gold mine and whoever owns the land should invest for the greater good or let someone who's grafting for it get some deeds.

growwild

Date Posted: 00.04hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
[www.youtube.com] 1961 Blasting doon the main basin midnight on new years with a huge spliff should be brought back!

[www.youtube.com] Mid 80's

[www.youtube.com] "Oh look a camera, lets be twats" Probably first one they seen, first wee bit should be incorporated intae COD, one bullet 6 kills, an airdrop and bloodthirsty 'n' fudslayer bonus shit that flashes up when I'm well smashed on a rampage is the only legit thing that would make me smile watching that....

Quite a lot of auld footage on youtube off other places too. Feck knows anything about studio based films. Ive read and could believe Tolkien was influenced at times by the place, ranoch moor included. Sitting up there full of pipweed gets ya thinking or doesn't, if its a big pipe.....
BennDavie

Last Visited: 16:55
16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 08.03hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Agreed there, murdersports don't really appeal to me, even the general practices on most shooting estates is dreadful, some would argue a vital part of the local economy with x amount of revenue etc, and are trying harder blah blah blah.
folk who will twist and manipulate any criticism or comment, blatantly misquote and paraphrase or just tell bare-faced lies in order to discredit the comment. Unless of course, this comment is glorious praise Sound familiar.
Maybe a new thread with relation to environmental and or land management practices within the outdoor (industry) would be better. This is the glencoe thread so I'll stick with them for now.

"in your earlier post you were complaining we don't open the Cliffy often enough, now you claim we shouldn't have opened it today. have you considered it may be you that needs a consistent argument."
Where exactly in my post did I say this Andy?
This sounds familiar.

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 10.05hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Davie, that is how I took the message of your posts too. Are you saying they should just be consistent? Whether that is safely consistent or dangerously consistent...

I agree there are a few bits and pieces up there that could probably be tidied up, but the place is in constant development from what I see, hear and read so I'll give them some slack on that at the moment. The place has been transformed from what was looking like becoming a ramshackle operation and getting run into the ground not that many years ago. They don't get everything right and they are the people to tell no doubt. Blasting away on a public forum isn't always the best place to make friends and influence people (see Cairngorm non-conditions thread and how that went... winking smiley ) but if there are safety concerns and they are not being taken seriously through direct contact with them then for as long as this lasts, this is a good place to raise it.

growwild, I definitely agree more trees would be welcome on the valley floor. I don't understand the science but you would think spreading out from the shelter of what's there now would be the way to go. And I guess the new accommodation goes with it. At least with that gradual growth you avoid sending some folks into heart attack mode.

Wrong thread, but c'mon the snow!

Alpinbear

Last Visited: 19:44
13th Apr 2019
Date Posted: 18.30hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Growild looks like Eddie the Eagle at the end of the mid 80s YouTube clip
growwild

Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Hahaha, could be him, he did wear white frames on his goggles..

Aye Ad_Hynkel, using whats there and pushing ooot would give shelter or get Taketori in [www.youtube.com]

If this season is gonna be a shite earner I think it would be morally acceptable for Glencoe tae head right and put an advert in the torygraph, daily flail, express etc targeting the brexit brains.. Wouldn't be hard tae come up with some smart adverts and could play their comment section easy tae make the stupid funts do what ya wanted...

Years ago the ninth legion actually came here for a party, paid 3 pieces of Gold for the privilege the stupid twats, good advertising campaign though winking smiley
BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.55hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Ad hi man. I was just offering the opportunity to explain the apparent inconsistency.I dont think I suggested anything although it may have been a tad loaded. One shouldn't be held accountable for other peoples misinterpretation either. Certainly, I have been accused of being a bit terse on times, or maybe there was an intended irony in it, Who knows.
Or maybe it was just to illustrate the fact that any PERCEIVED criticism or inconvenient truth, will often be descended upon as a pine marten would amongst crows.

I have been up the hill a few times over the years myself , and like yourself and many others have witnessed the transformation, From as you say pretty ramshackle to the current operation.
I understand the need to secure a future for the centre and have always been openly supportive in that.
I turn up every year despite previous catastrophic seasons handing over over half a grand of hard sweated for cash with a smile, hoping for the best in the great Scottish snow lottery, Some you win some you lose.
I hope to get my granddaughter up this season, that'll be three generations of my family on the hill.
I understand the perceived necessity to develop new infrastructure.

However:-

Let me put it this way:-

( No Im'm not going to burst into a Pythonesque solo):-

I purchased a pickup truck last summer, a week later the big end bearings disintegrated, on closer inspection, there was a catalogue of major faults of epic proportions,
Almost all down to appalling prior maintenance.
In hindsight I should probably have left it in the drive.
So at first, I thought to give the nice new leather seats a good old polish and fit the shiny roofrack and winch which the previous owner had so kindly given me and I'd been looking at all sorts of 4x4 goodies,
"Damn and blast," I thought the engine is still Goosed and the suspension didn't uncollapse and the steering still ain't straight.
Then!
AN EPIPHANY.
(which was totally contrary to all perceived knowledge and apparent local tradition)
I remembered the immortal words of the old man, "Sort your shit out you useless little twat!"
So I thought if I fix the broken things first rather than just shining stuff and getting loads of new goodies on it. Maybe that would be a better approach.
I've been a keen engineering and mechanics nut job since my dad first got me washing parts in my potty
Lo and behold After months of SLIPKNOT Grinding, welding ,self mutilation and general filth literally Blood, Sweat and tears I almost have a better than new belter of a pickup any haggis hunting, outdoor abuser would be proud of.
Sadly shes the work bitch. And destined to rock'n'roll, Will be a good looking well maintained and reliable one tho.

Maybe I am just getting old but these new approaches puzzle me.

Oh forgive me.

Back to the lamb chops.:

My old English teacher who was an obsessive debater,would be turning in the early grave, myself and my delinquent peers almost certainly contributed to, if she heard apparently educated adults confusing observed comment (my post what I saw with my eyes and heard with my ears) with critical opinion ( ie.complaint what I thought about what I saw and heard ) , and then attempting to reinterpret the original observations with misquotes and paraphrases, and puerile attempts at discrediting the author.
Some credit for common sense and basic intelligence should also be given to people who have also spent years on the hill and have gained immense knowledge and experience of the terrain and snow conditions,that said who will always accept and respect all ski patrols decisions,including the new ones who have hardly skied the hill, even if we do give old Bobby a bit of jip from time to time, I think it keeps the old boy on his toes.

Surely we deserve better than flippant dismissive defensive comments.

It's a bit offensive to be honest. particularly to those of us who, in the past have worked on the hill,between myself and a couple of mates that frequent the hill, we clock up almost 20years working up there over the winters, through thick and thin, in various capacities and fully understand the ins and outs of the place, ( and no I certainly aint a disgruntled ex-employee,I loved working there, and left friends).

Aye again CMONTHSNA.

BennDavie

16th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 23.08hrs on Thu 14 Feb 19
Anyone read the Jean Giono book "the man Who planted trees" lol. I could do a nightly transcript.
growwild

Date Posted: 01.08hrs on Fri 15 Feb 19
Sounds good, at least a paragraph per night with artwork and I'll be here....

Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 09.42hrs on Fri 15 Feb 19
Me too. Time to start collecting acorns.
paraffin

Date Posted: 10.24hrs on Fri 15 Feb 19
BennDavie,

L’homme qui plantait des arbres - The man who planted trees.

A friend gave me a copy in French so I could brush up my basic French.
It is a truly inspirational tale. By persistently planting trees Elzéard Bouffier brings back life to a world that has been destroyed.
I guess you knew that - but is it not worth repeating, yes?
cmorrison

Last Visited: 10:36
21st Apr 2021
Date Posted: 10.32hrs on Fri 15 Feb 19
Def non conditions chat and a bit of a long shot:

I just noticed at the weekend that my kid picked up the wrong skis last time he was at the Coe (March last year).

Did anybody lose a pair of 97cm and pick up a pair of 117cm of WED'ZE TEAM 300 CHILDREN'S skis?
[www.decathlon.co.uk]

Would love to swap back if someone has them! :-)
paraffin

Date Posted: 18.06hrs on Fri 15 Feb 19
Now at least a spell of good reliable weather to cast concrete bases for the new chair?
growwild

Date Posted: 00.47hrs on Sat 16 Feb 19
Usually a deal on post mix round about spring/summer at BnQ

[www.youtube.com] 1922 and look at they upper arsed sledges, we had sheets of fecking cardboard.. Pretty sure the posh would pay tae hire them and they look like they'd cause some hurt, disclaimer up the coe and it's a win win situation...
Goto Page:  Previous1234Next
Current Page:3 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: