You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
WindyMiller

Last Visited: 17:31
1st Sep 2019
How is your German? Amusing Artcle
Date Posted: 19.14hrs on Fri 8 Mar 19
How is your German? Thought I would share this link,

[www.faz.net]

If you are using Google Chrome you can click in the top right hand corner of the address bar and you will see two small black squares with a 1 and 2 in them, this will translate the page to English. It is not perfect but you do get the feel of the article. Not sure about MS edge. Firefox has a downloadable plug-in that will translate.

In 2013 I was asked to show a travel journalist around the CG ski centre. I forgot about it until recently and found the link.

It is quite an amusing anecdote of skiing in the Cairngorms and the surrounding area. Full of rich farmers and royals. Not sure what he meant by the eccentric three quarters bald man!!! tongue sticking out smiley

Graeme

growwild

Re: How is your German? Amusing Artcle
Date Posted: 19.53hrs on Fri 8 Mar 19
That's a work of freaking art!

Says yer loco on more than one occasion and tae inspire some of that writing deffo says ya must be a character.. That was funny and well put together and I imagine that must have sent some Germans up there for a look at the past..
WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 22.13hrs on Fri 8 Mar 19
growwild Wrote:
That's a work of freaking art!

Says yer loco on more than one occasion and tae inspire some of that writing deffo says ya must be a character.. That was funny and well put together and I imagine that must have sent some Germans up there for a look at the past..

It was 2013 when we had that great late season dump, we could not have had a better day to be out on the mountain, he was amazed on what there was to offer. An excellent skier, I took him a few places we probably should not have been so we had a blast together. I thought the article was going to be a factual report on the spey valley, it turned into a short story of mystic and crazy bald person! I think I must have been sniffing too many strange chemicals and exposed to too much radiation in my career. As you said it probably will have inspired a few more folks to visit Scotland, as a good travel reporter should do.
growwild

Date Posted: 23.28hrs on Fri 8 Mar 19
That's one of the best if not the best tourists reports for anywhere in Scotland I've read.. Has any tourists ever contacted Cairngorms for a tour fae ya on behalf of that piece? I was half expecting yer contact details at the bottom too.

I blame solder fumes for some my madness winking smiley
WindyMiller

1st Sep 2019
Date Posted: 08.18hrs on Sat 9 Mar 19
growwild Wrote:

I blame solder fumes for some my madness

A little bit of herb on the tip of a soldering iron takes the smell of flux away winking smiley

Cairngorm marketing were going to put the link on their facebook page but with all the issues at the moment they have decided to hold off. It is surprising how many people do look me out for tours either word of mouth or they have read my (no-longer) reports on here, often folks from down south. As I have said before anyone is welcome to join us for a wee jaunt. So many people wish the official ambassador program was brought back.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 12.00hrs on Sat 9 Mar 19
Superb. Any idea what a "vabanque game" is?
growwild

Date Posted: 22.56hrs on Sun 10 Mar 19
Reading that piece says the ambassador program should be back on the hill and they should use take some ideas outta that for their own marketing peeesh!

Never tried that with a solder iron, might rewire a guitar so may soak the sponge in oil...

"Vabanque game" - taking a big risk with little chance of winning, at cards/horses etc?
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.59hrs on Sun 10 Mar 19
OK, thanks growwild.
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: