You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
LBRodders

Last Visited: 12:07
22nd Apr 2021
Ben Nevis Avalanche
Date Posted: 14.41hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
A lot of snow has obviously fallen. Hope all those involved are found safe.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Re: Ben Nevis Avalanche
Date Posted: 15.46hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Confirmed 2 dead. Thoughts with the families involved. What a tragic accident.
LBRodders

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 16.04hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
Obviously they were really keen to get stuck into the recent snow and winter conditions... As we all are, always.

Real shame and yes tragic. I echo the sentiments above - thoughts to the families involved.

growwild

Date Posted: 18.00hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
Erm, time for enforced training or insurance... No proof of training then hefty fines.. No proof of training needed for the level of activity yer doing and need rescued then ya pay for the rescue....

Maybe a flag system of sorts like they have in some beaches for those not too clued up on conditions and what a lotta snow and heavy winds can do...

JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 20.11hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
growwild Wrote:
Erm, time for enforced training or insurance... No proof of training then hefty fines.. No proof of training needed for the level of activity yer doing and need rescued then ya pay for the rescue....

Maybe a flag system of sorts like they have in some beaches for those not too clued up on conditions and what a lotta snow and heavy winds can do...

Erm, No. This sort of argument has been going on for over 30 years and it's usually put forward by folk that themselves have no experience in the hills, I'm surprised you're proposing it tbh.
LBRodders

22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 20.43hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
It gets worse - unfortunately one of those involved and reported as injured has passed away.

Apparently there has been some Herculean efforts by many people in the rescue/search efforts. Massive respect considering the conditions.
Beastie

Last Visited: 09:19
17th May 2020
Date Posted: 21.26hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
That's sad news for their families.
carsey

Last Visited: 17:11
22nd Apr 2021
Date Posted: 21.48hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
Credit to the rescue teams and emergency services in the tough weather.

Very sad news for their families and friends. Thoughts are with those involved.
growwild

Date Posted: 22.06hrs on Tue 12 Mar 19
I'm fed up hearing this sorta news year after year JC, that's probably the extreme end of the scale with insurance and fines and a balance between nothing and hardcore should and could be found.

I've never seen data for casualties and injuries etc compared to experience, that experience being individual or a group leader, but it'd be interesting tae see if money could be spent that could cut this doon. Mountain rescue should be extra weighed in large for risking their lives on days like this especially.

Days like this and folk that go out sailing in mental storms needing rescued dae kinda annoy.. I feel for the families and those involved in the rescue, risk takers live for it and they'll get another go in another life, but.......
kammy

Last Visited: 21:23
2nd Mar 2021
Date Posted: 00.37hrs on Wed 13 Mar 19
RIP to the deceased.
CMartindale

Last Visited: 20:31
25th Jul 2019
Date Posted: 06.35hrs on Wed 13 Mar 19
growwild Wrote:

A bit of a sweeping statement considering we have no information on the level of competence of the deceased/injured. I get frustrated too at the lack of prep or foresight in many people these days (eg. Jeans and trainers, no map, etc.) but it seems unfair to these poor souls to assume they fall into this demographic.

Sadly from recollection a large proportion of fatalities/injuries concern highly competent and highly respected individuals.

Always tragic to hear. As a keen hillwalker/ski tourer it’s a stark reminder that the risks we take can have huge consequences. My thoughts are with friends/family and also MRT.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 09.48hrs on Wed 13 Mar 19
Great effort by the rescue teams to be out in what must have been extremely difficult conditions. I read the winds were too high for the helicopter to assist.

My heart goes out to the families involved and RIP indeed to those lost.
jabuzzard

Last Visited: 11:02
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.35hrs on Wed 13 Mar 19
CMartindale Wrote:

Sadly from recollection a large proportion of fatalities/injuries concern highly competent and highly respected individuals.

I think we can conclude that if you are in a gully that has avalanched *TWICE* in the previous three days in the middle of a wide spread weather warning for a storm system passing over with gale force winds with a maximum avalanche warning risk then you are not actually competent. It is indeed the very definition of incompetence.
Ad_Hynkel

Last Visited: 12:28
12th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 13.42hrs on Wed 13 Mar 19
BBC report this morning: 'Swiss climbers' in fatal Ben Nevis avalanche

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Now modified to French and Swiss.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.48hrs Wed 13 Mar 19 by Ad_Hynkel.
growwild

Date Posted: 01.58hrs on Thu 14 Mar 19
Maybe more should be made aware of the SAIS warnings and more should be said about the warnings in place that day in every article going....

Some digital signs on certain roads and car parks with warnings not to be selfish, easily sorted by a few nerds on here so no reason it cant be done by the government..
Goto Page:  12Next
Current Page:1 of 2
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: