You are NOT Logged in.
Chat about all aspects of snowsports, backcountry, climbing and mountaineering.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
What's this?What's this?What's this?
Glenshee 2020
Date Posted: 12.59hrs on Wed 26 Feb 20
The pictures from the Drone of the middle valleys and Corrie Fionn look great although they are probably a bit deceptive. Certainly looks as though there may be enough to get into Fionn and that looks loaded !
telemarker

Last Visited: 14:59
12th Apr 2021
Re: Glenshee 2020
Date Posted: 13.24hrs on Wed 26 Feb 20
corrie fionn was loaded on Sunday, I had 4 ski runs down it, and there has been a lot more snow since.

home run was nearly complete, couple of gaps, big one near bottom

meall odhar uptrack needed a lot more and runs next to it,
but caenlochan looked a lot better

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13.25hrs Wed 26 Feb 20 by telemarker.
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 23.23hrs on Wed 26 Feb 20
Anyone know why Carn Aosda t/button tow aint working? Is it lack of snow on uptrack or pistes, or is there something wrong with the lift? I thought they had refurbished that whole lift recently.
Phil56

Last Visited: 10:15
11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 20.33hrs on Sun 1 Mar 20
Had two trips to Glenshee (Wed and Sat). Good skiing but very busy.

Wed (26 Feb) was the busiest mid-week I have ever seen, with the main car park full by 11.00 and the overflow one starting to fill up. Conditions were good and most pistes full of snow. Cairnwell chair was running till the wind got up and closed early afternoon, which then caused the other lifts queues to lengthen. Tiger was in good condition with plenty of snow and little ice.

Only Butcharts side, Sunnyside and Tom Dearg open. I heard that there wasn't enough snow to cover all the rocks on the Meal Ohdar/Caenlochan side to make it safe to open.

Highlight was making the effort to walk up from the top of Butcharts Access to ski down Carn Aosda blue. It had been groomed, but with its lift not working, no one was using the slope and you had freshly grooved surface to yourself. It takes about 5 mins to walk up and was well worth the effort.

I returned on Sat (29 Feb) where the conditions had deteriorated a little due to rain. Ice at the lower ends of most runs, but it was soft and easy to ski on. Again, only the same opened as on Wednesday with the exception of adding in Cluny. Alas, it was very windy so the Cairnwell chair lift was closed all day.

The staff worked hard in managing the very long queues, especially on the Carinwell T-bar and Butcharts poma. The poma operated a double queue which worked well, but could take 15 mins to wait - respect to the ski patrol man for making sure we all behaved ourselves and didn't push in. Had an hour or so on Sunnyside and Cluny where there were much shorter queues. Stayed till late, so got in a good number of runs down Butcharts blue as people left and queues disappeared. Was fun skiing in the snow showers which started late afternoon and covered some of the ice.

Hope to get back a couple more times, especially if there's more snow and they can get Caenlochan/Corie Fion opened.
oversteer

Last Visited: 19:01
11th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 21.19hrs on Sun 1 Mar 20
Dunc Wrote:
Anyone know why Carn Aosda t/button tow aint working? Is it lack of snow on uptrack or pistes, or is there something wrong with the lift? I thought they had refurbished that whole lift recently.

Not sure if you are getting muddled? Caenlochan has been replaced by a new lift. Carn Aosda has only received regular maintenance as far as I know.

The uptrack on Carn Aosda looked short of snow. Not sure why Caenlochan couldn't run, perhaps still a touch short of snow.

Sadly, scumbags that can't ski and then subsequently blame the resort isn't conducive to the centre opening runs that are marginal.

Phil56

11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 22.36hrs on Sun 1 Mar 20
Carn Aosda was refitted as a combined Tbar and button tow in time for the start of the 2018 season. I used it several times in Feb and March 2018. However, it's a difficult lift to use as the track is narrow near the top and definitely is not one for beginners. I suspect that there's insufficient snow on the tow's track. However, the blue run it services is accessible by walking up from the top of Butcharts Access and gave great skiing on Wednesday (26 feb 2020 - see my comment in Glenshee 2020 forum, above).

Some work was done on repairs to Caenlochan's pylons during Summer 2018. Sadly, I don't think its been used since then. Here's some info from Glenshee's FB account showing work going on during 2018:

[www.facebook.com]

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 22.37hrs Sun 1 Mar 20 by Phil56.
Dirtboarder

Last Visited: 13:35
2nd Mar 2020
Date Posted: 10.35hrs on Mon 2 Mar 20
Why do Glenshee advertise that they are running their chairlifts but not bother? And they wonder why they get a reputation for being so half arsed.
Ah well whats 1 disappointed child and 200 miles of needless driving plus 1 wasted day off work based around your misleading bullshit.
When i called to enquire if the chairs were running the guy treated me like I was a Nazi war criminal.
Really Glenshee, is this the best you can do? We have waited all season to be able to get up. My daughter and I were so excited and this is the best you can do?
I was ashamed of you for christ sake.
No wonder Scottish skiing has such a poor reputation.
We will give our money to the French next year I hope everyone else follows suit.
paulo

Last Visited: 21:31
16th Apr 2021
Date Posted: 12.37hrs on Mon 2 Mar 20
Dirtboarder Wrote:
Why do Glenshee advertise that they are running their chairlifts but not bother?

Not sure the details of your experience, but from what I've seen it's the wind which has been keeping the chairs closed over recent days. Not much they can do about that. I guess they might be guilty of being optimistic on the "lift scheduled" status when the forecast is for high winds.... but in general I think they deserve a bit of slack. Not an easy business to run in a winter like this.
Phil56

11th Feb 2021
Date Posted: 15.36hrs on Mon 2 Mar 20
Skiing in Scotland is generally a hit and miss affair. You can arrive and sit in a queue at the Spittal waiting for the snow gates to open, or find that the wind is too high and most of the uplift is off. It really is a bit of a gamble - last Tuesday was meant to be a bad day according to the weather forecast so I didn't go, but it turned out to be a fantastic day (at least that's what those who'd been there were reporting).

The Cairnwell Chair is running today (Monday) as you can see in the web cam. I was on it in high wind on Wednesday and it didn't surprise me that they stopped it at lunch time.

I agree that the information and attitude of the staff can be rather confrontational. Up to date information isn't always forthcoming.

PeterS

Last Visited: 12:21
13th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 20.34hrs on Mon 2 Mar 20
Glenshee planning on 17 lifts tomorrow including Car Aosda and the Caenlochan
Dunc

Last Visited: 09:47
18th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 10.33hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
As much as I love Glenshee (my favorite centre) I do have an issue with their pricing policy at the moment and wondered if anyone had come across the following issue:
So far this season Glenshee have not been charging their full area day pass rate of £32. Due to limited terrain (mostly Cairnwell side only) they have been discounting the full rate to £30, a saving of £2 for the customer, to reflect the limited terrain. I applaud that and Glenshee do it quite readily.
However, they then refuse to make any further discounts for say the punter having a season pass from another centre, or being a member of an SSS affiliated club.
Take the season pass from another centre, that would normally give a 30% discount at a different centre, therefore that customer normally would pay £22.40. However as Glenshee are refusing to discount more than the £2, they will charge that season pass holder £30.
So the season pass holder has to pay £7.60 more to ski on limited terrain, than they would if the whole area was available.
How does that make sense? They say their computers can't cope with a customer opting to pay full price and then receiving their normal discount. And they simply refuse to be flexible. I said I am being asked to pay more for less, and they just said "yes, that's the way it is. You don't have to ski here"

awrightski

Last Visited: 10:02
2nd Dec 2020
Date Posted: 13.09hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
Does Glenshee have insufficient snow to open all the terrain, i.e. Meall Odhar and Glas Maol or is it a case of man power/time it takes to get everything open?

They haven't answered when I asked (twice) and will be up this weekend, Coe Saturday and Shee sunday but only if they open the full area.

Any insight appreciated.

thanks
flugeryl

Last Visited: 12:40
11th Mar 2021
Date Posted: 14.31hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
I see all the moany gits that used to frequent the CML page of this forum have decided to spill their bile on the GS page instead....

If a lift can open at GS it gets opened...weather, fault or being buried seem to me to be good safe reasons for lifts not to run

High winds take off cables and bury huts in drifts and there is no easy of quick way to dig out huts or generator sheds or re-hang cables

when you add the abuse some of the poma's get from punters leading to down-time, the repair team cannot be on corrie fionn and cairnwell at the same time

are the team at GS perfect...nope, are they dedicated...yip, if the weather improves will they open lifts throughout the day...yip, have they heard this all before..yip, are they doing the best possible with whats available to them...yip, do things change after they have 5 min to reflect on any given day..yip

is the resort looking to further upgrade the infrastructure when finances allow...yip

so for me once you understand and reflect on what it takes to open a road, dig out a lift, de-ice the cables and wheels, piste the drifts, get staff to the resort, patrol the runs, prep the poma's, clean every chair, stock the cafe...etc all in a scottish sub-arctic climate you may be grateful there is any skiing/boarding at all.

My advice is to not put your goggles on so tight as it appears to be restricting the flow of blood to the brain.

p.s. ticket discount...had the same issue at Glencoe 2 years ago when they wouldn't give me season pass discount as ticket was discounted, so paid a few quid more.....i had a great day (as i always do at GC)

Be Nice to Skiers, they have it hard enough already
alan

Last Visited: 17:02
27th Mar 2024
Date Posted: 16.36hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
awrightski Wrote:
Does Glenshee have insufficient snow to open all the terrain, i.e. Meall Odhar and Glas Maol or is it a case of man power/time it takes to get everything open?

They haven't answered when I asked (twice) and will be up this weekend, Coe Saturday and Shee sunday but only if they open the full area.

Any insight appreciated.

thanks

It was lack of snow on Meall Odhar, nowhere near as much snow on Westerly aspects at Glenshee as the Eastern ones because of the persistent strong Westerlies. Caenlochan was due to run at some point today, but Meall Odhar Poma was a long way of enough snow on the uptrack last picture I saw. It really needs a huge depth in places for the Meall Odhar Poma, but if there were more hold-down towers there would be winters where it would be practically impossible to dig out. It's a very good case for the next chairlift !
JC

Last Visited: 12:22
27th Feb 2024
What's this?What's this?
Date Posted: 19.23hrs on Tue 3 Mar 20
Everything on the Cairnwell sode was running today and it's pretty muh ski anywhere. Caenlochan uptrack and piste and the Home Run were being worked on today and look ready to go tomorrow. Meall Odhar no chance, just not enough snow.
Goto Page:  1234Next
Current Page:1 of 4
Your Name: 
Your Email: 
Subject: